MKJoshA

May the 4th Contest - 2023

1280x1280.jpg

May the 4th be with you. Welcome to Eurobrick's annual Star Wars contest!
There are many ways to participate, and lots of ways to win! Yes, we're starting the contest a little early this year. But it goes through May 4th so that's all that counts, right!?!

blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png

General Rules
The contest runs April 5th through June 5th. As long as it's still June 5th somewhere in the world, you can still enter.
All entries must be new builds not shown online or publicly before April 4th, 2023.
Only official LEGO elements should be used. Avoid third party parts or clone bricks. Digital entries will be allowed. All digital entries must use only existing pieces in existing colors.

Entries may be updated as long as the contest is still open.
All entries must be posted as a new topic in the Watto’s Junkyard forum with the title prefixed by, "[M4-23 - category] - entry name". (For example, "[M4-23 - 12x12 Vignette] – Sarlacc Pit".)
You may do a 'full-blown photo edit' with all the text, effects, background compositing, support erasing, and other effects on one picture. All your other pictures may have no editing other than color adjustment or background removal for a solid-color background. For obvious reasons, any photo editing that changes the shape, functionality, or color (not tint or adjustment, but actual color) of a LEGO piece is prohibited. It is also prohibited to use the Lego logo in any picture.

The only size restrictions are the Minifigure Habitat and the Nature is After You categories. The other 2 categories can be any size or scale.
As this is a Star Wars contest all entries need to be Star Wars related.
A link should be included in this thread to ensure your entry is counted.
This contest is open to all EB members, even if they joined EB after the contest has begun, with the exception of the Star Wars staff, who are not eligible to win prizes.
Each contestant can only win 1 category prize and 1 individual prize, if multiple categories are won by the same contestant, he/she chooses which prize to receive and the other prizes will be awarded to the runner ups.

You can use this stamp on your photos if you'd like:
400x160.png

blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png     blogicon.pngblogicon.pngblogicon.png

Judging Method
There will be a team judges who will score builds based on the following criteria: Category: Pass/Fail Does your build fit the category?
Majority vote of the judges decides pass/fail if the vote isn't unanimous.

Storytelling ?/10
Does your build communicate a story all on it's own?

Aesthetics ?/10
Detailing, build composition, and visual impact.

Technical Ability ?/10
How well you use building techniques. SNOT, NPU, and movement are all elements of this category.

Final Score: ?/30

Individual Awards
Grand Admiral: awarded to the competitor with the highest total score combined from all entered categories. To win the Grand Admiral prize you must enter at least 3 categories.

Categories
Minifigure Habitat

Create 3 or more purist Star Wars minifigures and a habitat for them. These minifigures should fit in context with their habitat. Maybe you create a room from the Jedi Temple with 3 Jedi. Or maybe a hanger bay with 2 mechanics and 1 pilot. The habitat should be no larger than 16x16x16. No odd combination baseplate footprints allowed. The largest a side may be is 16 studs. The tallest it may be is 16 studs. The habitat may be smaller than 16x16x16.

Example:

50783594267_f075c9cd5b_w.jpg

Imperial Ship
Create a ship that would fit the Imperial aesthetic. You can use an existing ship design or create your own. You can create a TIE variant, shuttle variant, or something unique. Your ship must seat at least 1 human pilot and may be no larger than a Lambda class shuttle. So no Stardestroyers. A setting for your vehicle is allowed but not required.

Example:

52591388531_856bf02456_z.jpg

Rogue Clone
Show a Clone going against the norm. You can show a scene already represented in film media like Rex helping Ahsoka. Or you can create your own clone in his own scenario. Any scenario from the Clone Wars through Rebels is acceptable. Maybe the clone has "malfunctioned" and is killing Jedi before Order 66 is officially given. Or maybe your clone is refusing to obey the Empire anymore as we've seen in Bad Batch.

Example:

52168565018_0d055ea9f0_z.jpg

Nature Is After You!
Create a scene from a jungle or forest planet and show why it's a dangerous place. You can create a scene from Felucia and show a plant eating someone. Or you can create a scene from Endor and show Ewoks eating a stormtrooper. Minimum size is 16x16. No maximum requirement.

Example:

52671591943_71e315a470_z.jpg

Prizes
Minifigure Habitat
- First place wins a set or sets with an equivalent value up to 35 Euro as their prize like:
75346.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&quali

Imperial Ship
- First place wins a set or sets with an equivalent value up to 65 Euro as their prize like:

75347.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&quali

Rogue Clone
- First place wins a set or sets with an equivalent value up to 90 Euro as their prize like:
75330.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&quali

Nature Is After You!
- First place wins a set or sets with an equivalent value up to 140 Euro as their prize like:
75337.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&quali

Grand Admiral
- A set or sets with an equivalent value up to 240 Euro as their prize like:
75355.png?format=webply&fit=bounds&quali

Fine Print

• By entering, you consent to Eurobricks reposting your entry on Eurobricks' social media channels, crediting you.
  • Prizes are supplied by TLG and are subject to the rules below.
  • Prize values are determined in accordance with German Shop at Home and prizes are subject to availability on the Shop at Home in the winners' local countries. Some back and forth with Eurobricks staff might be required to select an available prize.
  • Prizes could take 8-10 weeks to arrive but we will keep you updated as much as we are able.

17 hours ago, HatBricks said:

Here is my entry for the Imperial Ship Category. This is my first time entering a contest on Eurobricks so please let me know if there are any issues.

This is my ship, the Tie Viper, It's an underwater Tie Fighter variant!

[M4-23 - Imperial Ship] - Tie Viper - Watto's Junkyard - Eurobricks Forums

Everything looks good. Right forum, right title, and a nice entry :thumbup:

A few quick questions, since I'm back from college next week and will be able to start building physical entries:

For "Rogue Clone": Is the clone wars through rebels stipulation specifically meant to be a timeline one? For instance, if I wanted to do Kix waking up, or a clone participating in Exogol, would that be allowed?

For "Nature is after you", what determines a jungle or forest planet? I don't have anything specific in mind here, I just never thought of Felucia as a jungle, so I wanted to know what the criteria were.

12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A few quick questions, since I'm back from college next week and will be able to start building physical entries:

For "Rogue Clone": Is the clone wars through rebels stipulation specifically meant to be a timeline one? For instance, if I wanted to do Kix waking up, or a clone participating in Exogol, would that be allowed?

For "Nature is after you", what determines a jungle or forest planet? I don't have anything specific in mind here, I just never thought of Felucia as a jungle, so I wanted to know what the criteria were.

For Rogue Clone yes, that's supposed to be a timeline stipulation. For sake of consistency I'm going to say that we keep it that way. Clone Wars - Rebels gives a lot of opportunities for different kinds of builds across different Eras.

For the Nature category the idea is to have flora be a major factor on the planet. Felucia may not be a traditional Earth jungle, but I'd consider it a Sci-Fi jungle for sure. Using that as your metric you could even build something on Dantooine and have your character smothered by grass. But I think there are more creative options out there :wink:

Is Tatooine allowed in the "Nature is after you" category if I add some plants to it or does it have to be a green planet?

37 minutes ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

Is Tatooine allowed in the "Nature is after you" category if I add some plants to it or does it have to be a green planet?

Tatooine would be allowed. Though I think you'd get more of a punch behind your build if you pick a more lush planet.

10 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

For Rogue Clone yes, that's supposed to be a timeline stipulation. For sake of consistency I'm going to say that we keep it that way. Clone Wars - Rebels gives a lot of opportunities for different kinds of builds across different Eras.

For the Nature category the idea is to have flora be a major factor on the planet. Felucia may not be a traditional Earth jungle, but I'd consider it a Sci-Fi jungle for sure. Using that as your metric you could even build something on Dantooine and have your character smothered by grass. But I think there are more creative options out there :wink:

That's fair. RIP my Kix diorama idea.

Ok, so any build where the focus is on flora and fauna? 

49 minutes ago, Danny_Boy4 said:

Just do Anakin weeping silently as sand surrounds him.

9 hours ago, Crazy bricks said:

Here's my entry to the contest :)

I went ahead and moved your original topic back here and edited your title. That will help everyone especially since I already front-paged you. I locked your 2nd topic so everyone will get directed to the original.

Would it count if I used this as my entry for the forest theme competition? It's one I already used in my entry for the Imperial Ships category - its odd as a made a diorama with the ship as the backdrop and I wanted to check before submitting my entry.

IAHF7900

2 hours ago, Crazy bricks said:

Would it count if I used this as my entry for the forest theme competition? It's one I already used in my entry for the Imperial Ships category - its odd as a made a diorama with the ship as the backdrop and I wanted to check before submitting my entry.

Thanks for checking. It would be possible (though maybe not advantageous) for you to enter that photo for the Nature category. You would have to include notes that the ship is not to be counted toward the entry for the Nature category. Probably better to just build a new MOC :wink:

As a query:

I’ve started a build this April, I posted the first of the progress photos to my Instagram page on the 14th of April 

now I understand that that is within the rules

however, am I allowed to share the final build on that Instagram when it’s complete? 
the build in question is only a part of one of my entries, not the full scene

1 hour ago, Thedbbuildworks said:

As a query:

I’ve started a build this April, I posted the first of the progress photos to my Instagram page on the 14th of April 

now I understand that that is within the rules

however, am I allowed to share the final build on that Instagram when it’s complete? 
the build in question is only a part of one of my entries, not the full scene

You can share your build whenever and wherever you want. The point of that rule is to make sure it's a build for this contest, not something repurposed from a year ago. If you're lucky and happened to be building something anyway before the contest started, and it fits one of the categories, that's fine too. Just as long as you hadn't posted the finished MOC online before the start of the contest.

You're welcome to post your MOC on any social media platform. In fact, that's encouraged. Especially if you mention that you built it for this contest!

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

You can share your build whenever and wherever you want. The point of that rule is to make sure it's a build for this contest, not something repurposed from a year ago. If you're lucky and happened to be building something anyway before the contest started, and it fits one of the categories, that's fine too. Just as long as you hadn't posted the finished MOC online before the start of the contest.

You're welcome to post your MOC on any social media platform. In fact, that's encouraged. Especially if you mention that you built it for this contest!

Much appreciated, I just coincidentally started it around the 10th not knowing about this contest, but after some exciting adjustments I’ve come up with id love to enter it into rogue clone

11 hours ago, Thedbbuildworks said:

Much appreciated, I just coincidentally started it around the 10th not knowing about this contest, but after some exciting adjustments I’ve come up with id love to enter it into rogue clone

That sounds great!

Hi all
Dont know if i am ok with the rules ... but here is my entry for "Minifigure Habitat"

( To be honest i made it for May the 4th :p )

17 hours ago, SATSOK said:

Hi all
Dont know if i am ok with the rules ... but here is my entry for "Minifigure Habitat"

( To be honest i made it for May the 4th :p )

Thanks SATSOK! However, your entry is too big for the Minifig Habitat category. It needs to fit within 16x16x16 for that category.

7 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Thanks SATSOK! However, your entry is too big for the Minifig Habitat category. It needs to fit within 16x16x16 for that category.

Ok. I have time for something with the requirements :)

For Minifig habitat.

I’m not sure to understand « Purist minifigures ».

Should I use only existing minifigs? Or can i build my own minifig (maybe only with official starwars minifigs parts?)

Purist minifigs only use official unaltered TLG produced parts, so they don't need to be star wars fig parts and you can swap arms hand and legs around but only official Lego parts.

32 minutes ago, Sympatik Brick said:

For Minifig habitat.

I’m not sure to understand « Purist minifigures ».

Should I use only existing minifigs? Or can i build my own minifig (maybe only with official starwars minifigs parts?)

As Kallus said, purist just means Lego parts only. No 3rd party elements or decals.