Sign in to follow this  
greg3

[MOC] The Turtle (submarine)

It's a while since I've posted on here but thought I'd share this. Not sure if this is the right theme for this MOC but it is a boat and it is from the 18th Century so I hope it's OK!

The Turtle was a one man submarine/submersible used during the American Revolutionary War. While not the first submarine in history, it is believed to be the first used to attack an enemy ship and the first to bring together many features used in modern submarines. I've always been fascinated by this craft ever since seeing it in a book as a kid.

52769624127_69ba4d0fc8_4k.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

52770573470_8218f591ef_4k.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

52770573315_d91699e294_4k.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

52770651748_35615ce5ee_4k.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

52770573635_d03359874f_3k.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

American inventor David Bushnell had developed a type of underwater mine with a delayed action clockwork fuse and needed a way of attaching it to enemy ships. His solution was the Turtle - named after the shape of its wooden hull.

It had 2 hand cranked propellers to provide horizontal and vertical movement. Buoyancy was controlled by flooding part of the vessel with water that could then be pumped back out. To surface in an emergency, a weight on the bottom could be released.

A small conning tower with windows allowed the pilot to see where he was going while surfaced and 2 snorkel tubes provided fresh air. Once submerged, the Turtle held enough air for around 20 minutes. A rudder provided directional control and inside there was a compass and depth gauge for navigation. These were illuminated using a luminescent fungus called “fox fire”

The craft carried a mine which could be attached to the hull of the target vessel using a hand cranked drill. Once released from the Turtle, a clockwork mechanism set off the explosives after a preset time allowing the turtle to escape.

On Sep 6th 1775, the Turtle set off to attack the British ship HMS Eagle, the flagship of the forces attacking New York. Piloted by Ezra Lee (a last minute stand in after Bushnell’s own brother had fallen ill) the Turtle succeeded in getting under the Eagle’s stern but couldn’t attach the mine to its hull. (Probably due to the metal fixtures of the rudder) As Lee tried to manoeuvre into a better position, the Turtle was spotted and, running out of air, he had to abort. Pursued by British rowboats, Lee released the mine which detonated a short time later without causing any damage but allowing the Turtle to escape.

Over the next few weeks, the Turtle attacked 2 more ships but without success and was finally lost when the ship it was being transported on was sunk.

The build itself is based on written accounts from the time as there seems no modern agreement on what it actually looked like! (In fact some sources claim that it was a propaganda stunt and never used!) I think there's enough evidence to say that it probably was used (modern working reconstructions have shown that the technology would have worked). It does make a great MOC project though and I think it looks pretty good!

Comments are always welcome.... thanks for looking!

Edited by greg3

Almost or completely running out of air seems to be a common thread amongst early submarines. (just ask the CSS Hunley's crew!)

Fantastic MOC, love the many details!

If only pirates got a hold of this. :pir-oh:

A really well done MOC, love the shaping ye recreated. Good job! :pir-thumb:

Well built submarine and interesting history.

Wonderful historical build. Given the lack of engineering drawings or reliable sketches, your MOC looks believable as is. Thank you for providing the history behind it as well.