Killian

Lego 2K Drive Racing Game

Why is nobody talking about Lego's upcoming Mario Kart style racing game?

Some of the cars look amazing, I hope I can figure out how to build them in real life

47 minutes ago, Killian said:

Some of the cars look amazing, I hope I can figure out how to build them in real life

I posted about it here: 

I agree about the cars, and I hope that we get some tie-in sets. 

i looked at the pictures and im sure i can reverse engineer some of them once the game comes out and a cars list is available

Thanks for sharing the trailer!

Everything looks very nice, albeit a bit... much, for a racing game, in my opinion.
I think I'll get this game though, it sounds like a lot of fun, all in all :sweet: 

Regards,
Mitch

On 3/21/2023 at 4:11 PM, Killian said:

Good question! I personally can’t wait for this! We haven’t had a proper LEGO racing game in over 2 decades and this looks like the spiritual successor to LEGO Racers that many have been wanting! The cars are creative and give a nice wacky feel. There’s a lot of potential for sets here, so let’s hope it will be popular. 

The only thing that might put people off is the fact that it’s from 2K and the ridiculous prices for it, especially for those “deluxe” editions, although that’s a problem with games in general. The preorder bonus for those is pretty sad as it just looks like a Creator polybag with the 2K logo slapped on it. 

Also, the graphics don’t look as good as they could. Many of the rounded pieces such as the chicken’s eyes have their curves represented by only a few polygons, even on the promo art. Is this really the best we can do with modern graphics?

Either way, it does look fun and I look forward to playing it, but will definitely wait for a sale. 

This one looks pretty fun, I will be spending a lot of time building cars in the designer, I am sure.

Maybe, depending on mulitplayer, we could figure a way to have a racing tournament for Eurobricks. 

Just saw this review. Looking promising!

I have not seen (or looked, heh) into cross-platform play but right now, I am certainly going to get it for my Switch to enjoy.

I totally agree with you about the upcoming Lego Mario Kart game. I saw some of the car designs too and they look pretty cool. I've always loved building Legos as a kid, so I'm definitely looking forward to this game. It's weird that nobody's really talking about it though. Maybe it's because there are so many new game releases coming out this year. But honestly, I think it's going to be a hit among both Mario and Lego fans. By the way, have you checked out https://zumroad.com/game? It's a blog that I follow to keep up with all the latest gaming news. They have some really good articles on upcoming game releases and reviews on some of the most popular games out right now.

Edited by Serahman

Has anyone here actually got the game? It looks like 2K gave away quite a few copies to all kinds of streamers to play, so I’ve been watching LEGO 2K Drive streams quite a bit this week.

Unfortunately, very few people felt like someone actively engaged in LEGO outside of the game, so I didn’t get the kind of insights about the building gameplay that I expected.

Just from looking at it, though, it felt quite similar to Stud.io – the bricks snap together, you can rotate them once they are attached, the angles of the hinged connections can also be adjusted. You can change the color of each piece, with different kinds of colors available – standard, metallic, transparent, etc. You start with one of the preset chassis (a couple for each of the vehicle types – street, off-road, and boat) and you build on top of that. You can change the wheels, but the core of the selected chassis seems to be locked. So if you want to build a vehicle from a LEGO set, you might need to adapt it to build around the chassis. It also looked like you could share your designs, but no one tried that.

What I haven’t figured out yet is how varied is the part palette. All of the basic bricks, plates, slopes, curves, wheels, windscreens, etc. are there. However, when one of the streamers got building instructions for a Speed Champions set, he quickly discovered that the Speed Champions wheel arches seemed to be missing.

I wonder if extra pieces can be unlocked by playing the game or (hopefully not) should be bought as extra content. And considering that actual Speed Champion cars (2 most recent McLarens) are playable cars, I also wonder if this is some kind of copyright protection. Like, you shouldn’t be able build a LEGO Ferrari set because it is somehow also a Ferrari? Probably not, but I would really like to now why the part inventory is limited.

In terms of gameplay, it looked like a combination of Forza with an open world filled with all sorts of challenges, and Mario Kart in terms of the racing gameplay – you have several types of power-ups like self-guided missiles, spiderwebs to slow down your opponents, or ghost mode to ignore all of that. You also have wacky quests and some kind of plot, but it’s obviously not the main part of the game.

Anyway, I would love to get it one day, preferably on a sale, because it seems way too expensive at the moment. I hope more pieces will be available eventually, because I am sure everyone would love to have their favorite Speed Champions design in the game.

I am also waiting for some of the AFOLs to try their own designs in the game, there are too many cool car MOCs out there. I’m already thinking about modifying some of my own designs.

I was kinda interested but price on steam kinda scared me, 119 euro for complete edition. No thanks, who will buy it? Kids probably no for that price, and Afols rather buy lego bricks.

119 euro, thats around five speed champions car sets that will last forever!

On 5/17/2023 at 9:10 AM, imvanya said:

Has anyone here actually got the game? It looks like 2K gave away quite a few copies to all kinds of streamers to play, so I’ve been watching LEGO 2K Drive streams quite a bit this week.

Unfortunately, very few people felt like someone actively engaged in LEGO outside of the game, so I didn’t get the kind of insights about the building gameplay that I expected.

Just from looking at it, though, it felt quite similar to Stud.io – the bricks snap together, you can rotate them once they are attached, the angles of the hinged connections can also be adjusted. You can change the color of each piece, with different kinds of colors available – standard, metallic, transparent, etc. You start with one of the preset chassis (a couple for each of the vehicle types – street, off-road, and boat) and you build on top of that. You can change the wheels, but the core of the selected chassis seems to be locked. So if you want to build a vehicle from a LEGO set, you might need to adapt it to build around the chassis. It also looked like you could share your designs, but no one tried that.

What I haven’t figured out yet is how varied is the part palette. All of the basic bricks, plates, slopes, curves, wheels, windscreens, etc. are there. However, when one of the streamers got building instructions for a Speed Champions set, he quickly discovered that the Speed Champions wheel arches seemed to be missing.

I wonder if extra pieces can be unlocked by playing the game or (hopefully not) should be bought as extra content. And considering that actual Speed Champion cars (2 most recent McLarens) are playable cars, I also wonder if this is some kind of copyright protection. Like, you shouldn’t be able build a LEGO Ferrari set because it is somehow also a Ferrari? Probably not, but I would really like to now why the part inventory is limited.

In terms of gameplay, it looked like a combination of Forza with an open world filled with all sorts of challenges, and Mario Kart in terms of the racing gameplay – you have several types of power-ups like self-guided missiles, spiderwebs to slow down your opponents, or ghost mode to ignore all of that. You also have wacky quests and some kind of plot, but it’s obviously not the main part of the game.

Anyway, I would love to get it one day, preferably on a sale, because it seems way too expensive at the moment. I hope more pieces will be available eventually, because I am sure everyone would love to have their favorite Speed Champions design in the game.

I am also waiting for some of the AFOLs to try their own designs in the game, there are too many cool car MOCs out there. I’m already thinking about modifying some of my own designs.

I've had it for a couple of weeks now, not played it all that much yet. Just working my way through the story mode trying to get good at the controls, drifting and hopping techniques, Jet Pack flying and power up usage before I attempt cross play racing 😅

There's lots of bricks and colours/stickers/paints available to design your car, though I haven't tried that yet. You can unlock parts/cars/colours/stickers/racing drivers etc. through completing challenges and by spending Brick Bucks; an in-game currency that you can pick up as you drive around, earn by completing races and challenges etc. I just earned set 60383 in-game by winning a race in story mode. I also believe you can use real world money to buy in-game Brick Bucks bundles if you don't want to grind to earn them.

I've seen a few Speed Champions cars in-game as well as several vehicles from older Lego sets. 

Now we're getting physical Lego 2K drive sets as it's own Lego theme/sub theme of City; I wonder if we'll eventually get recolours of the Monkey King hair and tail pieces for Unkie and Sunny, the Monkey pit crew/body shop characters in the game? I hope there's a code or something with the sets so you can have the cars/characters in the game.

Edited by Killian