Huigberts Builds

Disney Properties 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

18 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The four sets from the survey leak surely are among these, right? :classic: RIGHT? :oh3:

None of the piece counts even vaguely match the ones from the survey leak, which is... weird.

The closest one is off by over 200 pieces. 

Just now, THELEGOBATMAN said:

None of the piece counts even vaguely match the ones from the survey leak, which is... weird.

The closest one is off by over 200 pieces. 

Good point. But I can’t imagine we’re getting all of these sets this year AND then the four from the survey leaks (plus maybe others) next year too. Or will they also celebrate the 101th anniversary? :laugh_hard:

Maybe the piece counts changed for the final versions?

7 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Good point. But I can’t imagine we’re getting all of these sets this year AND then the four from the survey leaks (plus maybe others) next year too. Or will they also celebrate the 101th anniversary? :laugh_hard:

Maybe the piece counts changed for the final versions?

I actually wouldn’t be too surprised if we did. Those 4 leaked sets wouldn’t necessarily need to fall under the 100 Years of Wonder celebration/theming. In fact Donald & Simba would fit better to be themed similar to the way the buildable Mickey/Minnie were. The Snow White cottage and Maleficent battle would really be the only 2 that’d make sense to fall under the 100th theme.

Edited by DisneyLego

2 minutes ago, DisneyLego said:

I actually wouldn’t be too surprised if we did. Those 4 leaked sets wouldn’t necessarily need to fall under the 100 Years of Wonder celebration/theming. In fact Donald & Simba would fit better to be themed similar to the way the buildable Mickey/Minnie were. The Snow White cottage and Maleficent battle would really be the only 2 that’d make sense to fall under the 100th theme.

I think the main evidence that the Snow White and Maleficent sets will come out this year is because the Evil Queen and Aurora in this CMF series are meant to complement those sets.

27 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

I think the main evidence that the Snow White and Maleficent sets will come out this year is because the Evil Queen and Aurora in this CMF series are meant to complement those sets.

Agreed. 

In thinking back to the 4800 piece D2C set, besides a castle or castle/Main Street set, what else could it realistically be?? With the mini “parade” style train 4+ set, could we maybe be getting a much larger parade set? The haunted mansion also comes to mind with the general cult following for the attraction itself, along with the new movie coming out. Plus they clearly already understand there’s a desire for it with LEGO releasing the microscale version.

Edited by DisneyLego

Just now, DisneyLego said:

Agreed. 

In thinking back to the 4800 piece D2C set, besides a castle or castle/Main Street set, what else could realistically be a possibility?? With the mini “parade” style train, could we maybe be getting a much larger parade set? The haunted mansion also comes to mind with the general cult following for the attraction itself, along with the new movie coming out. Plus they clearly already understand there’s a desire for it with LEGO releasing the microscale version.

Could gray suit Mickey be his outfit for a Haunted Mansion D2C set? I guess if it's supposed to be silver, it would work for any set to celebrate the centennial.

10 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Could gray suit Mickey be his outfit for a Haunted Mansion D2C set? I guess if it's supposed to be silver, it would work for any set to celebrate the centennial.

Disneyland Castle or Main Street IMO

Actually a Mark Twain River Boat would work ESPECIALLY if they’re trying to make as many figures as possible.

Edited by Legofan2001

I have loved the micro scale Haunted Mansion and Cinderella’s Castle.

I doubt there’s a large-enough audience to make individual sets of every potential attraction in that scale, but I’ve always thought a monorail set could be a way to get more of them.

Have the monorail be motorized and minifigure scale with a track. So we get some Disney figures to ride in the monorail. And then include a micro scale build to represent each land in Disneyland to go around the monorail’s track. So you can have your monorail go around Disneyland. A monorail set would also attract non-Disney LEGO builders who just want a new monorail system.

Just my own wild speculation based on nothing.

I also think a minifig-scale Disneyland Castle with some elements of the hub or Main Street would be nice.

18 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Good point! I keep forgetting that minifig is floating around out there without a definite set. 

I guess if I had to bet I’d say it’s some type of a castle set. But I feel like the haunted mansion has to get a set some time in the near future.

10 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

I have loved the micro scale Haunted Mansion and Cinderella’s Castle.

I doubt there’s a large-enough audience to make individual sets of every potential attraction in that scale, but I’ve always thought a monorail set could be a way to get more of them.

Have the monorail be motorized and minifigure scale with a track. So we get some Disney figures to ride in the monorail. And then include a micro scale build to represent each land in Disneyland to go around the monorail’s track. So you can have your monorail go around Disneyland. A monorail set would also attract non-Disney LEGO builders who just want a new monorail system.

Just my own wild speculation based on nothing.

I also think a minifig-scale Disneyland Castle with some elements of the hub or Main Street would be nice.

I like the monorail idea. 

For me there’s a few easy “attraction” choices that would fly off shelves: haunted mansion, tower of terror, spaceship earth and space mountain. AND PIRATES

Edited by DisneyLego

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Listen, Walt Disney World is STILL celebrating it's 50th anniversary through the end of March this year. An anniversary celebration that started in October of 2021.

1 hour ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Could gray suit Mickey be his outfit for a Haunted Mansion D2C set?

Don't you dare get my hopes up. Haunted Mansion is the best ride in the park, and there certainly enough of a fandom to support a big 'ol collector's set.

I wish there was a chance we could get a USC version of the Black Pearl for everyone who couldn't pick up the original set.

2 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

Actually a Mark Twain River Boat would work ESPECIALLY if they’re trying to make as many figures as possible.

I know some people have likened Main Street to Diagon Alley. But is there anything on Main Street that's as iconic as the Diagon Alley stores, minus the partners statue of Mickey and Walt?

I always felt the Mark Twain Riverboat would work really well in a Fantasmic set. And now we're getting Sorcerer Mickey and probably dragon Maleficent so we just need a riverboat to recreate Fantasmic.

I think it will be Disneyland Castle with Merida, Cinderella and Rapunzel. It could also be the set with Belle and Gaston, and likely Silver Mickey as well.

29 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

But is there anything on Main Street that's as iconic as the Diagon Alley stores, minus the partners statue of Mickey and Walt?

The vehicles that drive up Main Street and in front of the castle would be nice to go around the Mickey and Walt statue. Then a popcorn or pretzel stall. Or a balloon cart with Mickey balloons. (Sidenote: It’s been how many years since the Cinderella castle? How have we never gotten Mickey ears for LEGO minifigures to wear?)

Disneyland also has the Snow White wishing well and waterfall to the side.

If we get more than a castle, I’d be more interested in those sort of things before Main Street.

I think the issue with Main Street is the overlap with other LEGO themes (city, friends, modulars, and even the winter village).

Main Street has a fire station, city hall, magic store, cinema, arcade, shops, restaurants, etc. All of that is not uniquely Disney enough in my mind to justify its inclusion over other builds.

Besides that, it would make it a very deep build and Main Street would distract from the castle once set up.

Keeping my fingers crossed that one of these bigger / 18+ Disney sets is Disneyland Castle aka Sleeping Beauty’s Castle. I’m torn between the best piece count though - the smaller seems maybe a touch too low and the bigger seems way too many, unless there’s a lot of superfluous builds (although some detailed parade floats could be cool after seeing the 4+ train).

1 hour ago, doclord said:

I think it will be Disneyland Castle with Merida, Cinderella and Rapunzel. It could also be the set with Belle and Gaston, and likely Silver Mickey as well.

I'd like to see the princes included as well but that seems unlikely, especially if the Beast hasn't been confirmed the way Belle and Gaston are. I can see all the princesses you mentioned being included, such as Belle, but Gaston's inclusion seems rather random then. Maybe Cinderella's stepfamily could be included to give more villains? It would be nice though if Disneyland Castle also came with a blue dress Aurora. In Disneyland Paris, she used to exclusively wear blue unlike the American parks where she was always in pink, until all the original princesses got new modernized outfits. Now Aurora only wears pink everywhere. My guess is if we're getting a Silver Mickey (although he still comes across as dull and gray to me), we'll get a Silver Minnie as well. Maybe Donald and Daisy too to parallel their inclusion in the Cinderella Castle.

34 minutes ago, nicknack116 said:

The vehicles that drive up Main Street and in front of the castle would be nice to go around the Mickey and Walt statue. Then a popcorn or pretzel stall. Or a balloon cart with Mickey balloons. (Sidenote: It’s been how many years since the Cinderella castle? How have we never gotten Mickey ears for LEGO minifigures to wear?)

Disneyland also has the Snow White wishing well and waterfall to the side.

If we get more than a castle, I’d be more interested in those sort of things before Main Street.

I think the issue with Main Street is the overlap with other LEGO themes (city, friends, modulars, and even the winter village).

Main Street has a fire station, city hall, magic store, cinema, arcade, shops, restaurants, etc. All of that is not uniquely Disney enough in my mind to justify its inclusion over other builds.

Besides that, it would make it a very deep build and Main Street would distract from the castle once set up.

I'd love to see the stalls and vehicles. I think the reason we've never gotten Mickey Mouse ears is because the actual Disney characters don't wear those and all the minifigures so far have been Disney characters rather than random parkgoers who would wear them.

The Snow White cottage set features a wishing well so I don't think they would include that here, although I would prefer a larger wishing well like the one in the parks. The one in the Snow White cottage set seemed too small and plain for my taste. The Snow White grotto would be great although how would they do the statues of Snow White, the animals, and dwarfs? Would they be minifigures in solid white or brick-built?

That's what I was thinking about Main Street that all the shops and locations really aren't inherently Disney enough. As a side addition to something like the train, sure, but on their own, I don't see it. Even the train when it came out, I remember there was some flack about it being uninspired especially coming on the heels of the castle.

I think basing the D2C in the theme park is a bit too niche for a set that big.

The disney movies? Extremely iconic and known worldwide.

The disney parks? I genuinely wouldn't be able to draw you a sketch of any of them beyond the castle.

Like granted, Disney parks as a concept are extremely iconic, but most people hasnt actually been able to go there. And even those who did have gone to different ones around the world, so it's not like someone from europe would be familiar with the american ones, for example.

Edited by PGBQW

17 hours ago, hikouki said:

I don't mind the hair blowing. I guess you can interchange it with another regular long hair, perhaps this one:

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=41612&idColor=120#T=C&C=120

No trust me I was just nitpicking. I don’t plan on modifying any of these figures. I’m just saying its funny when you look at it because it looks like the wind is only blowing on her. But I appreciate this fig a lot she’s one of my favorites this wave.

So I don’t know how I missed it but the up house is amazing. I do like the accessibility and affordability of the set especially considering all the $200+ sets being produced these days. What’s kind of ironic is that I actually still hope a large direct to consumer up house gets produced some day. Am I happy an affordable version was made? Of course. But I love that movie so much and really think a large, Simpsons house-esque build with a detailed interior, modular and able to be opened or closed /house should get produced someday. This movie deserves it.

I love the face prints so much. Both Carl and Russel look straight out if the film and the crane build is adorable and its all so accurate. Dug is also the best part of the set for me. And since they got his mold out of the way, if we ever get a &200+ Up House D2C, maybe they can allocate some funds to Kevin’s new mold.

I feel like Lego is finally giving Disney the love it deserves. 4 Disney princess mini figures in one cmf wave, another in a cheap train set, an affordable and accurate Up house, this is the sort of content I was hoping we’d get out of this license someday. Things started off slow with the first few years of 4+ Toy Story and Incredibles content (great sets but of course simplistic builds) and I really see them picking up steam and diversifying the content they produce. Not that that’s always for the best. This Peter Pan story book being a clear example of something that just is not going to work. But I like the general direction they’re taking for the theme.

Edited by cosmic

5 hours ago, DisneyLego said:

5 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

I think the Snow White cottage was originally supposed to come out this year. They provisionally approved the Ideas set, but later retracted it (Disney was reported to be the one that backed out?). Perhaps because of the dwarf controversy, or generally not being released the same time as the delayed (?) movie. Perhaps by the time they delayed or canceled the Ideas set, the CMF roster has already been finalized.

It makes sense to release the Snow White cottage because of the significance of the original movie to Disney, and to coincide with the latest movie. It also makes sense why it is now 'delayed.' LOL

5 hours ago, DisneyLego said:

Agreed. 

In thinking back to the 4800 piece D2C set, besides a castle or castle/Main Street set, what else could it realistically be?? With the mini “parade” style train 4+ set, could we maybe be getting a much larger parade set? The haunted mansion also comes to mind with the general cult following for the attraction itself, along with the new movie coming out. Plus they clearly already understand there’s a desire for it with LEGO releasing the microscale version.

Short list:

Sleeping Beauty Castle

Main Street

Mark Twain River Boat

Haunted Mansion.

May I add the Epcot globe? LOL

4 hours ago, Legofan2001 said:

They discontinued the Cinderella (minifig scale) Castle and Train Station. There is no flagship set for Disney at the moment. I am thinking (and very much hoping) that it would be the Sleeping Beauty Castle. Why did they have to discontinue the Cinderella castle if they weren't making another one? Or perhaps they will delay that next year? And just make an alternative flagship set from the list above, based on attractions that others in this thread have named? Is a Sleeping Beauty castle doable with the price points leaked so far???

3 hours ago, DannyPowers said:

Listen, Walt Disney World is STILL celebrating it's 50th anniversary through the end of March this year. An anniversary celebration that started in October of 2021.

Don't you dare get my hopes up. Haunted Mansion is the best ride in the park, and there certainly enough of a fandom to support a big 'ol collector's set.

Isn't the 100 years starting this October, officially?

2 hours ago, doclord said:

I would like ALL of those, please!!!

Edited by hikouki

I don't think Mickey in a gray suit would go with the Haunted Mansion because the iconic suits for the attraction are green. (Also, I would really hope for a full minifig-scale set to come with the unique characters from the attraction, not Disney toons dressed up. I'm fairly flabbergasted that we got a human butler minifig with the microscale set.)

The Mark Twain would be lovely, but might be considered redundant with the Steamboat Willie set.

I'd like to see the Jungle Cruise--a boat with a skipper and a few passengers (human or characters, either one is acceptable in this case) and a section of riverbank with wild animals. I thought it might happen as a tie-in with the Dwayne Johnson movie, but I'm not terribly surprised that it didn't.

A Mad Tea Party with elaborate Technic gearworks to create the spinning would be excellent.

16 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

I think basing the D2C in the theme park is a bit too niche for a set that big.

Counter-point: the Disney fans most willing to put down large amounts of money for merchandise are probably in the niche who go to theme parks regularly.

That said, I think that the castles and train station are probably the most iconic parts of the parks to the general public. So besides those sets, minifigure-scale sets based on the theme parks would probably be a harder sell than a scene from a Disney animated movie.

25 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I feel like Lego is finally giving Disney the love it deserves. 4 Disney princess mini figures in one cmf wave, another in a cheap train set, an affordable and accurate Up house, this is the sort of content I was hoping we’d get out of this license someday. Things started off slow with the first few years of 4+ Toy Story and Incredibles content (great sets but of course simplistic builds) and I really see them picking up steam and diversifying the content they produce. Not that that’s always for the best. This Peter Pan story book being a clear example of something that just is not going to work. But I like the general direction they’re taking for the theme.

Hoping for more sets. I love Disney, LOTR, Marvel and DC themes, as well as the modular.

I think it would only be Disney and LOTR that I would be paying $400 up for with D2Cs. Have you guys read all the complaints not the other boards about the price of the D2Cs? I mean it is quite a lot, and the quality has to match. I am happy to pay for the $500 LOTR set.

I am willing to pay for an expensive Disney set if the quality is good (first off, NO minidolls!!!).

8 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I don't think Mickey in a gray suit would go with the Haunted Mansion because the iconic suits for the attraction are green. (Also, I would really hope for a full minifig-scale set to come with the unique characters from the attraction, not Disney toons dressed up. I'm fairly flabbergasted that we got a human butler minifig with the microscale set.)

The Mark Twain would be lovely, but might be considered redundant with the Steamboat Willie set.

I'd like to see the Jungle Cruise--a boat with a skipper and a few passengers (human or characters, either one is acceptable in this case) and a section of riverbank with wild animals. I thought it might happen as a tie-in with the Dwayne Johnson movie, but I'm not terribly surprised that it didn't.

A Mad Tea Party with elaborate Technic gearworks to create the spinning would be excellent.

The Cinderella castle came and went, and we have not seen a shadow of Cinderella herself. I really think they should have included her in one of the previous CMFs, or perhaps this one (and left out Stitch and Baymax).

We previous had the Cinderella Castle, but without Cinderella still.

Now we are getting Sleeping Beauty (and previously Maleficent), but no Sleeping Beauty castle still in sight.

Hmmm...

Edited by hikouki

8 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I don't know about a Disney Parks themed Mad Tea Party, but I would be very surprised if we didn't get an Alice in Wonderland Mad Tea Party set based off of the movie. Based on how Aurora and the Evil Queen are both in the CMF series as they complement sets from their movies where both characters wouldn't make sense to appear in, I feel the same could possibly apply to the Queen of Hearts. Especially for all the people who were confused as to why she was included but not the White Rabbit or especially the Mad Hatter. A Mad Tea Party set could easily feature Alice, the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Dormouse, and even the White Rabbit. That would leave only the Queen of Hearts as the last major Alice in Wonderland character without minifigure representation, hence her inclusion in the CMF series. I hope we get an Alice set anyway with all these characters.

10 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Hoping for more sets. I love Disney, LOTR, Marvel and DC themes, as well as the modular.

I think it would only be Disney and LOTR that I would be paying $400 up for with D2Cs. Have you guys read all the complaints not the other boards about the price of the D2Cs? I mean it is quite a lot, and the quality has to match. I am happy to pay for the $500 LOTR set.

I am willing to pay for an expensive Disney set if the quality is good (first off, NO minidolls!!!).

The Cinderella castle came and went, and we have not seen a shadow of Cinderella herself. I really think they should have included her in one of the previous CMFs, or perhaps this one (and left out Stitch and Baymax).

Now we are getting Sleeping Beauty (and previously Maleficent), but no Sleeping Beauty castle still in sight.

Hmmm...

Eh, I can take or leave Cinderella. If they put her in a CMF I'd want her for completeness, but I've never felt drawn to the character. I disagree with the common position that she should have been included with the castle--uncoupling it from her in order to represent the theme parks rather than the movie is surely why the set was called "Disney Castle" instead of "Cinderella Castle," and her fairy tale is one of many referenced in the interiors.

18 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Hmmm...

I can sympathize with what the others are saying because I think it's generally tricky for people who collect multiple themes to keep paying for so many expensive D2C sets. I collect Disney and Harry Potter. I gave up on Star Wars long ago because it's too expensive to keep up with and I'm not going to even bother with the new Indiana Jones sets for the same reason. I'm highly tempted to cave and start collecting LOTR as well, especially since I imagine this Rivendell set will be around a while and not retired too quickly so I should have time to get it. And I love the new Lion Knights Castle set and want that as well, plus the Medieval Village expansion set from the survey to go with it, which is another $400 set minimum.

The minidolls are the reason I've skipped on the Frozen Ice Castle so far. And with all the new sets I want to purchase this year, I might just skip the Ice Castle altogether even though it's retiring by the end of this year. I don't see myself purchasing any of these expensive sets that feature minidolls only.

Cinderella is such a major character that her omission is about as jarring as Snow White's. But we know Snow White will appear in a cottage set and the rumors about Belle getting a minifigure exist as well. With Aurora already in the CMF series, that leaves Cinderella as the main princess left who is unaccounted for. Maybe she'll get a set based on her pumpkin coach? Or maybe she'll appear in a potential Sleeping Beauty castle set, although wouldn't it be bizarre if we got Cinderella in that but not Aurora. That's one of the reasons why I'm hoping if there is a Sleeping Beauty castle set with non-Mickey minifigures, that we get a blue dress Aurora in it. 

2 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Eh, I can take or leave Cinderella. If they put her in a CMF I'd want her for completeness, but I've never felt drawn to the character. I disagree with the common position that she should have been included with the castle--uncoupling it from her in order to represent the theme parks rather than the movie is surely why the set was called "Disney Castle" instead of "Cinderella Castle," and her fairy tale is one of many referenced in the interiors.

That also makes me wonder if there is a Sleeping Beauty castle in the works, what will its official title be because the last castle was just the Disney Castle and not the "Cinderella Castle." That's also why I don't think we're guaranteed minifigures who aren't from Mickey and the gang for a Sleeping Beauty castle set, although I would love to see Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather included.

However, the Cinderella reference in her castle set was pretty weak. Just a pumpkin included in a kitchen that was technically Little Mermaid themed and that was by far the weakest of the Disney references. In fact, with all the sets and CMF series that have come out since, much of that castle's interior feels incredibly dated like the Magic Carpet, Magic Mirror, and Fantasia brooms. Even the archery section dedicated to Brave feels silly since we still don't have a Merida minifigure but now we'll have two Robin Hood characters who would be better fits.

I don’t think it’s at all likely but it would be INSANE if this expensive D2C is actually Cherry Tree Lane with like 12 figures and full interior (think GhostBusters HQ) and honestly Cherry Tree is one of the VERY FEW things that would warrant such a piece count+price IMO.