Huigberts Builds

Disney Properties 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Whats demographic of this set? 170 euro for 18+ diorama based on brand new remake.

Lego really loves pumping 18+ sets like maniacs ending in sale after few months . They probably throws everything on wall and something stick...

I recently got the disney celebration train, it’s a nice piece for those who are building a Disneyland/amusement park. My favorite bits are Moana and the Jolly Roger.

I have to say I’m really not a fan of Tinkerbell’s new face, it’s very creepy, she could be the Joker’s henchwoman. Good thing we have the original version which is very accurate and more stylized.

5 hours ago, DisneyLego said:

I think you’re agreeing with what’s being said more than you realize. There’s no doubt kids are more exposed and growing up on these remakes, which is why everyone is confused why they’d make an adult oriented set based on the remake. Makes much more sense for the smaller playsets etc. to be based on the remakes for kids, but to then turn around and make a large adult targeted set (who grew up on the original animated version) based off the remake makes no sense whatsoever. 

I don’t believe anyone really cares that they’re basing sets off the remakes, it’s the sets they’re choosing that has people confused/disappointed. Choosing the remake over the original as the first adult targeted Disney movie set with minifigs will likely be a poor decision on LEGO’s part (though I’m sure Disney was the one to make the call)

This 100%

I personally don’t love remakes, but even as an adult who grew up with the classic, I wouldn’t have minded if the set based on this new movie was smaller (the details on those figures are amazing) but sold more as a playset. It just doesn’t make sense as a display piece to me for the reasons you already described.

Edited by Brickity

7 hours ago, Ondra said:

Whats demographic of this set? 170 euro for 18+ diorama based on brand new remake.

Lego really loves pumping 18+ sets like maniacs ending in sale after few months . They probably throws everything on wall and something stick...

The bad thing about it is that the theme may be branded as a "fail" at Lego.

The idea of a Little Mermaid set is great. The idea of small sets based on a remake is great. The idea of a Little Mermaid D2C 18+ set, even if expensive (think Rivendell) is not necessarily bad.

But an expensive D2C for older kids and adults that is based on a yet-to-be-released remake is quite... adventurous for Disney and Lego.

Folks clamoring for the original are still 'left out'.

But perhaps Disney was already sure that the upcoming remake will *definitely be a box office hit*.

5 hours ago, Brickity said:

This 100%

I personally don’t love remakes, but even as an adult who grew up with the classic, I wouldn’t have minded if the set based on this new movie was smaller (the details on those figures are amazing) but sold more as a playset. It just doesn’t make sense as a display piece to me for the reasons you already described.

Yes, a set does not have to be big, grand and expensive for it to be great, and much wanted.

Granted that we dont know the purpose the the huge white clam shell this set seems to be based around, but it’s bulky and off putting, I mean c’mon Triton is the ruler of Atlantica would he really live in an old clam shell .. I think not ! He had a PALACE ! It was beautiful ( well apart from the VHS cover 😂 ) but yeah if I get this one ( and it’s a huge IF ) it’ll be from somewhere that has it on sale. I also wondered if those clear ‘posing pieces’ introduced with the DC Super Heroes CMF ( and others ) could have been used more effectively to pose the fish and Flounder and the 2 sisters rather than those horrible looking trans clear bars they have them on 🙄

6 minutes ago, Jarreth2 said:

Granted that we dont know the purpose the the huge white clam shell this set seems to be based around, but it’s bulky and off putting, I mean c’mon Triton is the ruler of Atlantica would he really live in an old clam shell .. I think not ! He had a PALACE ! It was beautiful ( well apart from the VHS cover 😂 ) but yeah if I get this one ( and it’s a huge IF ) it’ll be from somewhere that has it on sale. I also wondered if those clear ‘posing pieces’ introduced with the DC Super Heroes CMF ( and others ) could have been used more effectively to pose the fish and Flounder and the 2 sisters rather than those horrible looking trans clear bars they have them on 🙄

The VHS cover! 💀💀💀 that hadn’t even crossed my mind, would have been a great tweak to the build had they gone with rhe original palace.

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

The bad thing about it is that the theme may be branded as a "fail" at Lego.

The idea of a Little Mermaid set is great. The idea of small sets based on a remake is great. The idea of a Little Mermaid D2C 18+ set, even if expensive (think Rivendell) is not necessarily bad.

But an expensive D2C for older kids and adults that is based on a yet-to-be-released remake is quite... adventurous for Disney and Lego.

But perhaps Disney was already sure that the upcoming remake will *definitely be a box office hit*.

Yes, a set does not have to be big, grand and expensive for it to be great, and much wanted.

Disney act lately like they still have that midas touch and they are too big to fail.

Speaking of toys, here nobody is buying it . Toy figure based on disney + series of marvel is just weird as it can be. All these buzz lightyears that will haunt all stores across country.

Apart from the minifigs which obviously has recolors of some Vidiyo parts, I wonder if this set overall has any new part (probably not), or new color of an existing part.

2 hours ago, Ondra said:

Disney act lately like they still have that midas touch and they are too big to fail.

Speaking of toys, here nobody is buying it . Toy figure based on disney + series of marvel is just weird as it can be. All these buzz lightyears that will haunt all stores across country.

Very true. Disney is losing cultural clout and their last releases have all been box office underperformers if not outright disasters. Disney abused their family friendly reputation that they've retained for decades and has violated the trust of their audience to the point that I see the Facebook moms groups all saying that no longer will they feel safe blindly showing Disney films to their children. The days of Disney being babysitting fodder are over. 

Like you said, the amount of discounted Buzz Lightyear toys is a testament to Disney's fallen status. It's not just the Lego sets, even at the Disney Store, all the Lightyear items were heavily marked off and still they couldn't give them away for free. It's no coincidence that immediately Disney/Pixar announced a Toy Story 5 as well as Frozen 3 to try and demonstrate a return to form. 

2 hours ago, hikouki said:

Apart from the minifigs which obviously has recolors of some Vidiyo parts, I wonder if this set overall has any new part (probably not), or new color of an existing part.

I think Triton’s hair and beard are new. It looks like they’re one piece together, but hopefully they’re separate from the head, unlike the mini doll. 

37 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Very true. Disney is losing cultural clout and their last releases have all been box office underperformers if not outright disasters. Disney abused their family friendly reputation that they've retained for decades and has violated the trust of their audience to the point that I see the Facebook moms groups all saying that no longer will they feel safe blindly showing Disney films to their children. The days of Disney being babysitting fodder are over. 

Like you said, the amount of discounted Buzz Lightyear toys is a testament to Disney's fallen status. It's not just the Lego sets, even at the Disney Store, all the Lightyear items were heavily marked off and still they couldn't give them away for free. It's no coincidence that immediately Disney/Pixar announced a Toy Story 5 as well as Frozen 3 to try and demonstrate a return to form. 

I feel bad for Lego if they are just blindly following instructions from Disney… hold off on the Snow White Ideas set (til movie release and base it off from that)… feature the Little Mermaid remake (instead of the classic)… etc.

Isn’t there a saying that if you ask directions from the village idiot, you’ll never get to where you’re going. Lol

AFOLS want classics they grew up with!

2 hours ago, hikouki said:

I feel bad for Lego if they are just blindly following instructions from Disney… hold off on the Snow White Ideas set (til movie release and base it off from that)… feature the Little Mermaid remake (instead of the classic)… etc.

Isn’t there a saying that if you ask directions from the village idiot, you’ll never get to where you’re going. Lol

The Snow White snub is pretty insulting since we got a great Lego Ideas submission for it. The same goes for Up since they've rejected it so many times but ended up making one of their own, which is also nice but not nearly as expansive as the submissions. And I feel terrible for the Ratatouille submission which has always been incredibly popular and reached 10,000 votes numerous times, yet always gets rejected, likely at Disney's behest. If the Snow White cottage set really is being saved for a remake, I know I won't be touching it. I'm not sure how it'll even work since this remake won't even be using dwarfs but generic magical creatures instead because Disney is so afraid of offending. 

I've also noticed that so far none of the new Disney sets have featured Buzz Lightyear. We got Woody in the train set but there's been zero sign of Buzz and I almost wonder if it's because Lego doesn't even want to bother after how poorly the sets for his movie sold. Perhaps Lego feels he needs a break, until the next Toy Story movie.

I got my hopes up for a Wendy minifigure a second time around after we got news there's another Peter Pan set incoming, but I'll need to stifle those feelings since more than likely it'll just be a set for the dull and lifeless remake. 

3 hours ago, Rwbricks said:

I think Triton’s hair and beard are new. It looks like they’re one piece together, but hopefully they’re separate from the head, unlike the mini doll. 

That’s not a new piece it’s just the minidoll piece recoloured.

4 hours ago, hikouki said:

Apparently disney is still too big to recover from losing jackpots.

Imagine if they did sets based on classics instead of they remakes, yeah that would be homerun.

I used to watch Ariel cartoon as kid, guess I would probably consider to buy set based on these aesthetics. But I have zero interest in set based on remake...

9 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

You've posted this before, no?

going to target in a little bit on the hunt from some cmfs, hopefully i can find something !

14 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Disney abused their family friendly reputation that they've retained for decades and has violated the trust of their audience to the point that I see the Facebook moms groups all saying that no longer will they feel safe blindly showing Disney films to their children. The days of Disney being babysitting fodder are over.

Ah yes, where have the good ole days of Disney gone? Back when you could marry a teenage girl on the first date and have a racial stereotype sing at the reception (they can sing that classic Disney tune "what makes the red man red!).

Sarcasm aside, I kind of doubt being less family friendly is the reason for the issues they're facing. That theory doesn't explain why their adult content, like Marvel and Star Wars, have also been underperforming. I think it's more likely that cheapening the brand with heartless cash grabs (that are often just poor quality movies) is probably more likely the reason these movies are doing worse and worse. I mean even the failure with Lightyear makes total sense, they had already tried to do that spin off two decades ago and it didn't work so well then either.

18 hours ago, hikouki said:

I don't think Lego has completely left them out, there are quite a few classic Little Mermaid sets out there. For those who don't like the remake set there's still a classic Little Mermaid Castle on shelves. I mean I get that it doesn't have minifigures, but technically a classic Ariel minifigure does exist. So it's not exactly like those fans have nothing.

Edited by strangely

I don’t see why people are losing faith in the 100th series when The Little Mermaid, Little Mermaid Book and Peter Pan Book were all labeled Disney Princess. 

We still have 10 Animation sets left for 2023 with two already being “leaked”: Castle remake and ART set. 

Plus more Pixar and Classic sets will continue to 2024. 

Edited by bRICKbRAT

1 hour ago, Surge said:

going to target in a little bit on the hunt from some cmfs, hopefully i can find something !

Just came back from my target, they’re street dated for May 1. I’m not sure how people are being able to purchase them, when the registers won’t allow the sale. Unless they’re using the 5 finger discount 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by stroud1492

13 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Disney abused their family friendly reputation that they've retained for decades and has violated the trust of their audience to the point that I see the Facebook moms groups all saying that no longer will they feel safe blindly showing Disney films to their children. The days of Disney being babysitting fodder are over. 

I edited out my last response to one of your comments because I didn't want to start an argument, but this is nonsense. It's obvious to everyone who's reading your posts what you're trying to say, so why hide it?
Disney and Lego BOTH have massive diversity initiatives, and they're not going away. Regardless, your example is completely anecdotal and you're making up this absurd narrative to pretend Disney/Lego are hurting because they're putting characters in their properties you don't like?

If you don't like the set, say your piece and move on. Keep your politics to yourself.

3 hours ago, strangely said:

Sarcasm aside, I kind of doubt being less family friendly is the reason for the issues they're facing. That theory doesn't explain why their adult content, like Marvel and Star Wars, have also been failing pretty hard. I think it's more likely that cheapening the brand with heartless cash grabs (that are often just poor quality movies) is probably more likely the reason these movies are doing worse and worse. I mean even the failure with Lightyear makes total sense, they had already tried to do that spin off two decades ago and it didn't work so well then either.

Is it failing? Star Wars' Disney+ shows are massively popular. People are claiming Marvel is in a downturn, but meanwhile its Disney+ shows are among the highest streamed years after they've released now, and even without an Avengers or Spiderman entry, all of the movies are still making comparable box office numbers to what they were before covid. Disregarding the fact that we're in a recession, and the Disney 100 promotions are a massive hit, especially with Lego, Disney's also launching Lorcana in the summer, and Marvel Snap has been the #1 mobile game for months. As you said, there's been some baffling ideas (Lightyear), but most of the bad press is purely online chatter and doesn't line up with how successful their media has actually been.

I really think the Disney 100 sets aren't temporary and that we'll see more minifig lego presence in 2024~. There's little reason to panic about this or that princess missing when we *know* there are a half dozen sets from leaks without dates or prices.

Edited by bricksandabear
edit because there's not a lot of lego in my comment:

20 minutes ago, bricksandabear said:

Is it failing?

I meant underperforming more so than failing, I've amended my original post to reflect that. My point is that they've had a fair share of projects that haven't lived up to expectations and haven't been the runaway successes that they could/should have been and I attribute it to exhausting existing franchises and not giving them the development time they need to actually tell those stories right.

I will say I actually believe The Little Mermaid and Peter Pan remakes seem like a positive course correction, it seems like Disney has put a bit more effort into those remakes and I think they actually might be hits. I wouldn't mind more Lego sets for them if they live up to expectation.

Saw a post on a Lego page on Facebook I’m on .. someone had the Little Mermaid set in hand from a Target .. they wouldn’t sell it to them .. they had a clear picture of the back .. this set is starting to grow on me .. I saw the latest trailer today .. when you see longer clips rather than just 2 or 3 second bursts it seems like it’s gonna be good.🤞🏼

13 hours ago, PotterBlocks said:

That’s not a new piece it’s just the minidoll piece recoloured.

My bad, thanks for letting me know. I had thought the mold included the mini doll head. 👍

The little mermaid set I want to get for those mermaid tail parts (Harry Potter and vidiyo not doing much for my mer-army) but it is very expensive for a few tails, will probably just bricklink them

I scored the Disney CMF'S in a Target earlier today.  Managed to get at least one each of the ones I wanted. 

10 hours ago, karrit said:

I scored the Disney CMF'S in a Target earlier today.  Managed to get at least one each of the ones I wanted. 

Any issue with the street date prohibiting you from buying?