Huigberts Builds

Disney Properties 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

I was mocked by the moderator as a fake, for posting my credible leak that the Ariel set would be minifigure scale. Please don't do that again.

LEGO is giving something for everyone here, with a black Ariel drawing in a new demographic, and making her figure and this set rare. They are saving the classic red headed Ariel for the D2C Castle, which will be red headed Ariel in a dress. Everyone wins here. 

6 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Not that I disagree with you, but I genuinely have no recollection of Ariel having any sisters. Is this a thing for the sequels or am I just getting old?

Ariel had six sisters in the original 1989 movie.

1 minute ago, Pop Star c o said:

Ariel had six sisters in the original 1989 movie.

Guess it's time to rewatch, then

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

Guess it's time to rewatch, then

They have a very small role in the movie but one of the opening songs, Daughters of Triton, introduces them all. A few of the sisters have increased parts in the 90s TV show and they were also more pivotal characters in the Marvel comics and kids books from that decade. Disney intended to launch a Mermaids franchise featuring Ariel and her six sisters in the 2000s but their merchandise didn't sell well enough to justify giving them their own franchise.

3 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

They've actually done Sebastian in the past as well. Sure it was more in the minidoll style, but it actually looks like Sebastian. :facepalm:

They have, although I suspect that they thought it didn't fit well will Minifigures, the solution is not to use something else that also doesn't fit well though! :laugh:

If this were a big set based on the classic film, I'd be all in. Unless the new film truly blows me away, this is a super easy pass.

11 hours ago, Jarreth2 said:

Wow I totally didn't expect Lego to go this way with this set. My initial reaction was a huge pass. It's from the new film ( and I literally don't care who is playing who ) but this isn't classic Disney to me. The large clam shell looks bulky and a bit of a mess, the set seems very all over the place. I saw on another image the 5 minifigures included .. five ?? FIVE .. are you having a laugh Lego. Also in the minifigure lineup because the mermaids all use 'tall' tails it makes Ursula look like she's small !! Clearer images will help me decide and I'll wait until a double VIP event for this one .. and even then it's a maybe ! There are some that will love this though .. we're all different :)

I have real mixed feelings about this set. On the one hand it is a Little Mermaid "castle" but it is based out of a remake that I did not grow up watching. 

10 hours ago, CodFather1 said:

I'll reserve judgement for when we get the 360, but I'm a bit disappointed this isn't more similar to Elsa's Castle, at least for consistency's sake.

EDIT: Just realised it's based on the live-action remake and... skip.

First they make a nice castle with minidolls, then they make one minifig based but on the 'wrong' movie! LOL

10 hours ago, DisneyLego said:

Odd to me that they went more towards adult collectors with this set who grew up with the animated original yet went the live action minifig route. Aside from that, it really isn’t that “display shelf” worthy (obviously that’s just my opinion).

Exactly!!! Really hope that Lego is reading this!!!

10 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Not interested at all if it's not the classic movie. Not sure why they would make a D2C set on a remake when they have no longevity.

Per request from Disney? As marketing for the upcoming movie? For purposes of inclusion and diversity?

Are they holding off on releasing Snow White til 'later' because they will base it out of the upcoming movie and not the classic???

Dear Lego, please, please, please... give use classics!!!

Definitely now think that leaked Snow White's Cottage set could very well be based on the remake if it's set for 2024. I actually enjoy the remakes for what they are so I welcome these sets, but I would also like some classic sets too! We need a full range based on the animated films and not just large 18+ sets.

14 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

Definitely now think that leaked Snow White's Cottage set could very well be based on the remake if it's set for 2024. I actually enjoy the remakes for what they are so I welcome these sets, but I would also like some classic sets too! We need a full range based on the animated films and not just large 18+ sets.

I thought it was an Ideas set? Even the leak was like super close to the ideas set?

23 minutes ago, bricksandabear said:

I thought it was an Ideas set? Even the leak was like super close to the ideas set?

And perhaps that is why they 'stopped' that Ideas set? 

Edited by hikouki

38 minutes ago, hikouki said:

First they make a nice castle with minidolls, then they make one minifig based but on the 'wrong' movie! LOL

Per request from Disney? As marketing for the upcoming movie? For purposes of inclusion and diversity?

Are they holding off on releasing Snow White til 'later' because they will base it out of the upcoming movie and not the classic???

Dear Lego, please, please, please... give use classics!!!

I think I preferred when they made minidolls lol.

My guess is that this was Disney's mandate especially since we know they have control over what sets get made. This movie in particular they have been pushing very hard to try and get accepted by the public. The biggest indicator of that was at the Oscars a few weeks ago. It's one thing to show a trailer during the program but Disney (since they own ABC which airs the Oscars) went as far as making the trailer actually a part of the show. This was a move that was lambasted all over the Internet as the most desperate and tacky moment of an otherwise refined night.

If that is the intention for the Snow White set, it would be especially tone-deaf of Disney/Lego considering we've never had a minifigure of Snow White or any of the Seven Dwarfs and this is probably our first and last chance. I'm worried the Peter Pan set will also be based on the remake now, which means it'll be the third wasted opportunity this year alone to get a proper Wendy minifigure.

44 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

I think I preferred when they made minidolls lol.

My guess is that this was Disney's mandate especially since we know they have control over what sets get made. This movie in particular they have been pushing very hard to try and get accepted by the public. The biggest indicator of that was at the Oscars a few weeks ago. It's one thing to show a trailer during the program but Disney (since they own ABC which airs the Oscars) went as far as making the trailer actually a part of the show. This was a move that was lambasted all over the Internet as the most desperate and tacky moment of an otherwise refined night.

If that is the intention for the Snow White set, it would be especially tone-deaf of Disney/Lego considering we've never had a minifigure of Snow White or any of the Seven Dwarfs and this is probably our first and last chance. I'm worried the Peter Pan set will also be based on the remake now, which means it'll be the third wasted opportunity this year alone to get a proper Wendy minifigure.

Large, expensive D2C sets that do not really resonate with the target audience. The curse of the Black Panther bust and UCS Hulkbuster. LOL

2 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Large, expensive D2C sets that do not really resonate with the target audience. The curse of the Black Panther bust and UCS Hulkbuster. LOL

Exactly, I expect to see this 40% off very soon. These remakes do not have lasting power. On Disney+ and the TV channels, it's the animated movies that have the highest streaming ranks or get aired all the time. It's the animated movies that we still see in the parks or in stores for merchandise.

Bringing up the live-action Beauty and the Beast as an example, it's not like you can still find merchandise for that movie today anywhere. People didn't even want the Belle dress back then from that movie let alone now. These remakes sell merchandise right when they're first released and that's it. I wouldn't expect anyone will be buying merchandise for this remake of Mermaid by this December, yet there's a D2C set that's going to sit on store shelves for likely 2 years? 

9 hours ago, legoleaker said:

I was mocked by the moderator as a fake, for posting my credible leak that the Ariel set would be minifigure scale. Please don't do that again.

LEGO is giving something for everyone here, with a black Ariel drawing in a new demographic, and making her figure and this set rare. They are saving the classic red headed Ariel for the D2C Castle, which will be red headed Ariel in a dress. Everyone wins here. 

I must have missed your initial post. Is this your way of confirming that Ariel will be in the $400 Disney Castle? And do you have any more information on that set, like other characters who will be included as well as in what outfits?

10 hours ago, legoleaker said:

Hopefully, you have not been silenced here forever.

51 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Exactly, I expect to see this 40% off very soon. These remakes do not have lasting power. On Disney+ and the TV channels, it's the animated movies that have the highest streaming ranks or get aired all the time. It's the animated movies that we still see in the parks or in stores for merchandise.

I must have missed your initial post. Is this your way of confirming that Ariel will be in the $400 Disney Castle? And do you have any more information on that set, like other characters who will be included as well as in what outfits?

Good point on waiting for a discount! I might get this set but do away with the minifigs and substitute the old CMF ones, plus a custom Triton. Will get rid of those choking fish, too. LOL. Come to think of it, they are probably getting the most use out of those orphaned Vidiyo moulds.

I am hoping Lego is done messing with sets. Okay, perhaps that Peter Pan will end up being based off of the remake again.

So the upcoming castle is looking like it will contain princesses in their formal gowns, especially if Ariel will be in there in her dress?

17 minutes ago, hikouki said:

Good point on waiting for a discount! I might get this set but do away with the minifigs and substitute the old CMF ones, plus a custom Triton. Will get rid of those choking fish, too. LOL. Come to think of it, they are probably getting the most use out of those orphaned Vidiyo moulds.

I am hoping Lego is done messing with sets. Okay, perhaps that Peter Pan will end up being based off of the remake again.

So the upcoming castle is looking like it will contain princesses in their formal gowns, especially if Ariel will be in there in her dress?

Honestly, I wouldn't even accept the set for free, let alone pay for it even at a discount. I do remember @legoleaker posting now. The image they posted was already removed by the time I saw their post so I'm not sure if it was exactly the same as what was leaked today but having now seen the leaked image of the set, it looks so abysmal that I can understand why other posters assumed it was a bad mock-up and a fake. I can't think about one redeeming quality for the set. The King Triton hairpiece would work for an animated version but there still isn't a tailpiece that would match Ariel's while simultaneously be true to Triton's look.

Between the Peter Pan microdoll set and now this, I'm having little faith in these Disney sets. Hopefully that will change once we get a look at the $400 castle especially with this implication that we will get a proper Ariel figure there and in human form to boot. Hopefully Eric can be expected as well. As for what dress Ariel will be in, I'm guessing her blue kingdom tour dress with the bow or her pink dinner gown. Her wedding gown doesn't seem feasible considering how her bulky sleeves wouldn't be able to be adapted. Besides the already confirmed Cinderella, I do hope Belle is included along with a blue dress Aurora (or Briar Rose Aurora) and a purple dress Jasmine. I'd want Snow White as well but I'm guessing she'll be exclusive to the cottage set (praying to anyone who can hear that it'll be based off of the animated movie and not a crummy remake) so perhaps Rapunzel in lieu of her in the castle set. Or a Frozen II version of Elsa in the white gown with long, flowing hair.

11 hours ago, legoleaker said:

You posted what you said was box art from this set. If I remember correctly it was a small traditional but stylised castle on a pinky-yellow coloured background, it definitely wasn’t a giant clamshell. Or was it a close up of part of the set? Because the box is black. 

Another obvious bald-faced flop, and not just because of the particular source material of the set, but the set itself.

It's ugly. It's too jumbled to be a decent display piece. It has too many pieces and is too expensive for what it is.

We adults whine about a lot of decisions, including some where LEGO does know what it's doing (the electronic Mario line for instance), but it feels like it's getting easier to spot the obvious failures and be right. Vidiyo as a whole. Massive Hulkbuster. Black Panther bust. Foosball table. No other sets are ever on 50% off from LEGO itself and LEGO Certified Stores here in Australia, but those latter three have been multiple times. I predict this will fall into a similar category for sure.

11 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

You're putting impossible expectations on this movie and on lego. Do you honestly care whether DIsney promotes it at the Oscars? Why? Unless Disney markets it absolutely flawlessly and nails every toy and every price, people are going to chew it to shreds.

Young kids now are more exposed to these adaptations than to the 'classic' versions, so we shouldn't be surprised Disney wants to market them as something other than a vehicle to sell classic toys. Buy the CMF figs if you want the classics. The only thing I really see wrong with this set is how expensive it is.

Edited by bricksandabear

RE: The newly leaked Little Mermaid set. I think it looks pretty great? I'm not a fan of Disney's live-action "remakes" in general, so I probably would have preferred something based on the 1989 film. But I love the detailing on the minifigures--if they go for a decent price on BrickLink I might have to pick up some of them for my kids (a set this large is just out of my price range--no matter what it's based on). 

22 minutes ago, bricksandabear said:

You're putting impossible expectations on this movie and on lego. Do you honestly care whether DIsney promotes it at the Oscars? Why? Unless Disney markets it absolutely flawlessly and nails every toy and every price, people are going to chew it to shreds.

Young kids now are more exposed to these adaptations than to the 'classic' versions, so we shouldn't be surprised Disney wants to market them as something other than a vehicle to sell classic toys. Buy the CMF figs if you want the classics. The only thing I really see wrong with this set is how expensive it is.

I think you’re agreeing with what’s being said more than you realize. There’s no doubt kids are more exposed and growing up on these remakes, which is why everyone is confused why they’d make an adult oriented set based on the remake. Makes much more sense for the smaller playsets etc. to be based on the remakes for kids, but to then turn around and make a large adult targeted set (who grew up on the original animated version) based off the remake makes no sense whatsoever. 

I don’t believe anyone really cares that they’re basing sets off the remakes, it’s the sets they’re choosing that has people confused/disappointed. Choosing the remake over the original as the first adult targeted Disney movie set with minifigs will likely be a poor decision on LEGO’s part (though I’m sure Disney was the one to make the call)

Edited by DisneyLego

I think the odd decision is to make this a large scale 18+ set rather than something more affordable. Merchandise for this movie is already selling out like crazy, so it's weird to me that LEGO would produce something so expensive since I think the people that would be most interested won't be too willing to shell out so much for this set (no pun intended) when they could've done a smaller set or even a range of sets that people could purchase more casually. This movie will certainly hit a billion or at least come close to it like all the other remakes, and people would love something with the new Ariel, but the price might deter them.

1 minute ago, DisneyLego said:

I think you’re agreeing with what’s being said more than you realize. There’s no doubt kids are more exposed and growing up on these remakes, which is why everyone is confused why they’d make an adult oriented set based on the remake. Makes much more sense for the smaller playsets etc. to be based on the remakes for kids, but to then turn around and make a large adult targeted set (who grew up on the original animated version) based off the remake makes no sense whatsoever. 

I don’t believe anyone really cares that they’re basing sets off the remakes, it’s the sets they’re choosing that has people confused/disappointed. Choosing the first adult targeted Disney movie set with minifigs will likely be a poor decision on LEGO’s part (though I’m sure Disney was the one to make the call)

I agree, but there's already a child sized/priced set [book] for the movie.

3 minutes ago, bricksandabear said:

I agree, but there's already a child sized/priced set [book] for the movie.

Exactly, which is why the adult targeted large “display” set would have been a much bigger hit with the animated as its source material, since that’s what adults (and at this point, everyone) has grown up on.

the smaller kids sets make perfect sense to be the remake