Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

GoH 10 B: Wax and Wick

This is an entry for the Old but Gold category of the current challenge.
I took some time deciding which old build to revamp, and eventually settled on this candlemaker’s shop I built back in 2014 (is it really that long ago :oh:). It was one of my favorite medieval buildings for a long time, and it was a lot of fun revisiting it.
Like the original, it features a full interior and this time uses the floating cobblestone technique we have previously shared a tutorial on.

Glorfindel and Eryl continued on their journey after stopping at the Wayfarer’s Den, eventually coming to Hradheim. There Glorfindel was able to visit his old friend, Kenan, who owns the candle shop Wax and Wick. It sits in the shopping district of Hradheim which is always bustling with folks going about various errands or hawking their wares. Some sweet treats purchased from a baker’s stall nearby were just the thing to provide energy for another day’s travel.

Spoiler

Original candle maker's shop:
15232540073_fa312f5a01_c.jpg

52626879120_9cbaf8954e_c.jpg

guard.jpg

Eryl.jpg

o-interior.jpg

shop.jpg

shop-customer.jpg

house-bed.jpg

See more images on Brickbuilt and full resolution on Flickr.

Excellent update!  I really like seeing the candle-making process in the interior.  As I mentioned on Flickr, it's really neat to see the cobblestone technique in different colors, though I'm not absolutely sold on using all three colors.  My favorite upgraded bit has to be the door though--such a cool idea to make it look castly.  I'm making a mental note of that!

Also--I usually find backwards torsos look a little off, but the backwards torso on your girl character inside looks fantastic!

Wow this is so cool Isaac! I love how recognizable your style is. I mean - even if I have missed many years in the community, I could tell on the first look that this is one of your MOCs. And still you didn't stand still but evolved so much - the brickwork, all the details in the woodwork, the floor. It all looks fantastic. You are such an inspiring builder! Keep up the nice work :-).

Great revisit, with a very recognizeable style but definitely showing a level of polish in both build and presentation that demonstrates the progress of the builder over the years :classic:

The original is pretty amazing, but this is stellar.  You pack an unbelievable amount of detail into your scenes without making them look cluttered.  The roof is fantastic, the stonework amazing, the ground is great, and Sir Glorfindel even got a cookie!  Outstanding!

As a remake, this is just almost perfection. Just looking at both mocs it's so much fun looking at all the similarities. To just name a few stellar improvements, that tan roof, the foilage on the black roof, and the market stall. And the floor/ground is just perfect.

btw, from which set is this torso?
house-bed.jpg