Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

9 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm excited for the Battle of Hogwarts set, and personally for the WWW set because Diagon Alley is a bit out of my price range for a single set purchase, and also just contains a lot of buildings I'm not interested in.

However, I hope whatever the actual build is for the BoH set doesn't kill it. 

I noticed neither the PB video nor the SW article repeated the Clock Tower rumour we heard in the PB video a few weeks back. Maybe it wasn't correct? (Fingers crossed... Bell Towers, baby!) 

Directed @ everyone, why do we think they're putting out a smaller scale DA shop now? I was wondering if, aside from giving us the twins for the BoH, it is in part to signal that they're going to make more accessible ($ £ EUR) versions moving forward in light of the ridiculously expensive Gringotts. Sort of pre-softening the blow, as it were.

Side note, who else (beside almost all of the Death Eaters) feels like a glaring exception from the BoH, bearing in mind last year's figs still on the shelves (12GP / MoM)?

Edited by krimimimi

9 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

The lack of owls has always been a weak point of the 2018+ revival. It’s also yet another bit of the magic of the 2001 sets that’s missing from this system meant to emulate them. Don’t think I’ve gotten a set with one apart from the Chamber of secrets with its billionth snowy owl and golden stand if you count that. It seems like now instead of tons of owls we just have frogs if anything. 

For what it's worth, the Chamber of Secrets had a dark tan owl as well. The Hospital Wing had a sand blue one. I don't remember any others.

8 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

Directed @ everyone, why do we think they're putting out a smaller scale DA shop now? I was wondering if, aside from giving us the twins for the BoH, it is in part to signal that they're going to make more accessible ($ £ EUR) versions moving forward in light of the ridiculously expensive Gringotts. Sort of pre-softening the blow, as it were.

Yeesh, I hope not. If that's the intention, that is a sorry admission in itself. "Hey, look, EUR 90 got you TWO Hogsmeade shops some years ago, and now it'll get you ONE Diagon Alley store! Isn't it great that we're keeping things nice and inexpensive?"

Though I'm not saying you're wrong about this being the intention ...

29 minutes ago, empiresperish said:

The sonic sets' Eggman torso would be perfect for an Aunt Marge! Probably not the only one to think that immediately. I guess we will have to wait for next year to see if they utilize it but it's a pretty generic shape to reprint on. :thumbup:

You're not the only one. It's a great fit. 

17 minutes ago, brickbride said:

Yeesh, I hope not. If that's the intention, that is a sorry admission in itself. "Hey, look, EUR 90 got you TWO Hogsmeade shops some years ago, and now it'll get you ONE Diagon Alley store! Isn't it great that we're keeping things nice and inexpensive?"

Though I'm not saying you're wrong about this being the intention ...

Well I doubt we'd see another version of Scribbulus 😆, and someone pointed out the designers had commented on that being part of their motivation in selecting the locations for DA, but perhaps hinting at an affordable Gringotts down the line? With sets like Borgin & Burkes as strong possibilities, but that wouldn't have been as relevant a message atm.

10308 Holiday High street sold for $100 / 100 EUR last Christmas, so even with the licensing fees, it's conceivable it might still contain 2 buildings and look like a proper, if small, WWW + who knows... 

Edit: the super hero thing that could represent the Patronus Charm. Does anyone know if these fit on a wand? https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=35032&idColor=98#T=C&C=98

Edited by krimimimi

15 minutes ago, brickbride said:

For what it's worth, the Chamber of Secrets had a dark tan owl as well. The Hospital Wing had a sand blue one. I don't remember any others.

4 Privet Drive had, besides the flying Hedwig, a dark Brown one, same for The Burrow and Diagon Alley had the City one with the wink eye and the Dark Brown one, besides the flying Hedwig. 2020 was a great year for the Owl.

1 hour ago, krimimimi said:

Side note, who else (beside almost all of the Death Eaters) feels like a glaring exception from the BoH, bearing in mind last year's figs still on the shelves (12GP / MoM)?

Lupin, Slughorn, Flitwick, and Aberforth come to mind, but they’ve all appeared before (or will do so soon, as far as the latter is concerned). Maybe not in the exact outfits, but it’s close enough :grin: Lucius and Narcissa don’t count, as they didn’t participate in the battle.

I’m very happy with what we’re getting here!

And I don’t feel sad about the lack of generic Death Eaters at all. Just place random evil-looking heads and normal hairpieces on robed torsos, and voilà, there’s your DH2 Death Eaters :tongue: 

I know I keep ranting about this, but they were so much cooler before dropping the masks

Still waiting. 

1 hour ago, empiresperish said:

The sonic sets' Eggman torso would be perfect for an Aunt Marge! Probably not the only one to think that immediately. I guess we will have to wait for next year to see if they utilize it but it's a pretty generic shape to reprint on. :thumbup:

I hope for a No.4 Privet Drive kitchen/dining room set with this scene, soon! There is even the bulldog mould out. 

Ron.

With sets like Borgin & Burkes as strong possibilities, but that wouldn't have been as relevant a message atm.

Borgin & Burkes and the Leaky Cauldron are some my most wanted sets right now (alongside the Forest of Dean and the Lovegood house).

Edited by NostalgicBricks

2 hours ago, empiresperish said:

I thought so too, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case the head and torso are just one piece.

11 hours ago, brickbride said:

Generally, it feels to me like the HP theme used to have a direction but now is floundering; like they're no longer just making good, connectible play sets and some well-received D2Cs for the adults, but are desperately throwing anything they can think of at the customers: Buildable creatures! House banners! Modular Hogwarts! Microscale Hogwarts! Another trunk! Re-doing sets from 20 years ago that don't fit in with any current system! Modular Diagon Alley! Just to see what sticks.

Yeah I've kinda got to this point with the theme. Microscale Hogwarts, Gringotts, Battle of Hogwarts and the 2nd Task are the only sets this year I'm actually fussed about.

I think this theme is obviously super successful and has a lot of funding for prints and new pieces so the designers are diversifying to appeal to general Harry Potter fans as well as collectors 

Personally the only 2023 sets I’ll end up getting are the Second Task and Gringotts. The only 2022 set I feel like I have to catch up on is Grimmauld Place so I feel quite relieved I can have a bit of a budget for other themes as well 😅

22 hours ago, brickbride said:

Generally, it feels to me like the HP theme used to have a direction but now is floundering; like they're no longer just making good, connectible play sets and some well-received D2Cs for the adults, but are desperately throwing anything they can think of at the customers: Buildable creatures! House banners! Modular Hogwarts! Microscale Hogwarts! Another trunk! Re-doing sets from 20 years ago that don't fit in with any current system! Modular Diagon Alley! Just to see what sticks.

Thing is, we're now into the third year of this mish-mash being the norm - so we've had as many years of the mish-mash as we had years when things "seemed more focussed".

It can't be chalked up to there being a different lead designer, and by now any market research from 2021 when the theme took a turn from the initial three year run should start to come into effect. Presumably, what they're doing is actually working for sales.

Personally I hope that the new series has a significantly different art style and look, so we could get some new Hogwarts stuff that looks vastly different, making it novel and cool. If they go for the same look as the movies, just with different actors and longer run time, why bother.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

If they go for the same look as the movies, just with different actors and longer run time, why bother.

Money Weve Got To Have Money GIF - Money Weve Got To Have Money GIFs

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Thing is, we're now into the third year of this mish-mash being the norm - so we've had as many years of the mish-mash as we had years when things "seemed more focussed".

Personally, I didn‘t mind the mish-mash up until this point, but this year, there are too few regular playsets in my opinion. Other than that, the theme is still doing great, I feel :sweet:

22 minuti fa, BrickBob Studpants ha detto:

ci sono troppo pochi playset regolari secondo me.

It's the same thing I said in the Marvel forum (because the same thing is happening), but they told me I'm hallucinating :-D luckily I'm not the only one who notices this thing

20 minutes ago, Legocentrico said:

It's the same thing I said in the Marvel forum (because the same thing is happening), but they told me I'm hallucinating :-D luckily I'm not the only one who notices this thing

Marvel still has way more playsets than HP tho :tongue: Sure, there are the buildable figures and Cap‘s shield, but also playsets based on the Infinity Saga, GotG V3, NWH, and The Marvels, plus the 4+ Spidey sets, the mechs, and the Morbmobile :laugh_hard:

HP however has just 5 regular playsets this year across three waves. 

27 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

HP however has just 5 regular playsets this year across three waves. 

2021 also had only 5 by my count. My only point is that this year isn't showing something new or exceptional.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

2021 also had only 5 by my count. My only point is that this year isn't showing something new or exceptional.

Fair enough. Given this theme‘s track record, more of the same is a good thing though :laugh:

I counted how many playsets we got each year of the reboot:

2018 - 5 plus 2 FB sets

2019 - 7

2020 - 5

2021 - 5

2022 - 7

2023 - 5

I think we just got spoiled last year - 2021 had a lot of gimmicky sets like this year, so maybe next year we'll get more playsets again?

46 minutes ago, Decat said:

I counted how many playsets we got each year of the reboot:

2018 - 5 plus 2 FB sets

2019 - 7

2020 - 5

2021 - 5

2022 - 7

2023 - 5

I think we just got spoiled last year - 2021 had a lot of gimmicky sets like this year, so maybe next year we'll get more playsets again?

Of those 5 playsets two are remakes of sets we’ve already seen in the reboot, one of which was only 3 years ago and part of a set still on shelves and the other was only just retired a few months ago and has a D2C version that just got released last year. I’d be surprised if either one had any major improvements (is switching the 2018 train’s tan to flame yellow an improvement?) over their previous iterations aside from new figures and side builds. The next two sets are part of the controversial Hogwarts rectangle line and the set that’s been released is perhaps the weakest Hogwarts set ever produced by Lego, definitely within the last two decades. Leaving us with only one of those playsets that’s an easy win for most collectors. 5 playsets isn’t bad once they’re separated from all the other junk but they’re probably not the most exciting five choices. 

Really the only year that’s comparable is 2021, another year with only one guaranteed fan pleasing set. In 2021’s case though the Hogwarts rectangles were still new and that was the first year of buildable creatures + fold out stuff + D2Cs that weren’t minifigscale so I don’t think people were quite as burnt out on all of it as they are now after 3 years of the line being a bit more messy. 

Ya he visto el video de Promobricks... nada nuevo bajo el sol, excepto 4 cositas...

Habrá que esperar a las fotos oficiales para decir la opinión definitiva, pero no pinta bien:ugh:

Espero que el set de la Batalla tenga construcciones interesantes, porque tener otro Harry, Neville, Molly... (me sale Harry por las orejas jajaja)

De hecho, si el Baúl incluye cabezas y peinados varios, los utilizaré para modificar los múltiples Harry Ron Hermione y Neville... que parecen una plaga de cucarachas en mi estante :roflmao:

12 minutes ago, LegoTronico said:

Ya he visto el video de Promobricks... nada nuevo bajo el sol, excepto 4 cositas...

Habrá que esperar a las fotos oficiales para decir la opinión definitiva, pero no pinta bien:ugh:

Espero que el set de la Batalla tenga construcciones interesantes, porque tener otro Harry, Neville, Molly... (me sale Harry por las orejas jajaja)

De hecho, si el Baúl incluye cabezas y peinados varios, los utilizaré para modificar los múltiples Harry Ron Hermione y Neville... que parecen una plaga de cucarachas en mi estante :roflmao:

I wish I could understand Spanish, because I have no idea what you're saying. :sceptic:

4 minutes ago, Salix said:

I wish I could understand Spanish, because I have no idea what you're saying. :sceptic:

Yo utilizo el traductor de Google :wink:

Edited by LegoTronico

1 minute ago, LegoTronico said:

Traductor de Google :wink:

Everyone writes in English though on this forum. I could start writing in Dutch or Polish, but that wouldn't be appreciated either.

6 minutes ago, Salix said:

Everyone writes in English though on this forum. I could start writing in Dutch or Polish, but that wouldn't be appreciated either.

ok, i will take note for the upcoming post, thanks!!

Edited by LegoTronico

56 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

Of those 5 playsets two are remakes of sets we’ve already seen in the reboot, one of which was only 3 years ago and part of a set still on shelves and the other was only just retired a few months ago and has a D2C version that just got released last year. I’d be surprised if either one had any major improvements (is switching the 2018 train’s tan to flame yellow an improvement?) over their previous iterations aside from new figures and side builds. The next two sets are part of the controversial Hogwarts rectangle line and the set that’s been released is perhaps the weakest Hogwarts set ever produced by Lego, definitely within the last two decades. Leaving us with only one of those playsets that’s an easy win for most collectors. 5 playsets isn’t bad once they’re separated from all the other junk but they’re probably not the most exciting five choices. 

5 play sets - RoHT / RoR, 2nd Task, BoH, [remake] HE and [remake] WWW. (Does D2C Gringotts not count?) As for the Express, it's not primarily about improvements, it never was. A regular HE has never been off the shelves for more than 1/2 a year whenever there were HP sets, so it seems an unreasonable complaint. It's one of four sets that newcomers always "need" access to. (The Castle itself, Hagrid's Hut and the Knight bus being the others, the last two in less frequent intervals than the first two.)

"weakest Hogwarts set ever produced" Do you mean the RoR? 😐 I love that set. Small footprint, clever building techniques (for a play set), piles of dangerously stacked stuff, Lupin's phonograph, the trophy room set!, creative ways to have the fire torch the lot... The walls are no less substantial than all the rest in the 2021+ modular style, which is always an issue, but no worse here than in the others. I find Fluffy Encounter far weaker, and Sirius' Rescue little better than that. Dumbledore's Office has good interiors (Library! Pince! Book action!) but the castle itself continues to be a hot mess. (How hard can it be to make a good castle?) Fine, the RoR sink is odd, but the 8x8 format is the plague. They should have included humpbacked witch's statue (or something else), but then that's more expensive. It felt like they tried harder than simply banging a turkey leg in the corner (and I really felt for that poor designer; the room is literally empty save the dog, instrument, and trap door).

Plus the 2nd Task is a gorgeous little set. That was worth it all by itself.