Clone OPatra

DC Superheroes 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

50 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Look at the Nolan trilogy, we got the Tumbler and that's it.

There was also The Bat, and the Joker ice cream truck chase was clearly a stand in for the semi-truck scene from the TDK. But to the broader point, I don't think there's much you can do with the Nolan trilogy. The latter movies are set in what's clearly just Chicago /Pittsburgh, not exactly ideal for a set. Maybe a monorail car with a short segment of track with Ra's and Gordon? Idk. Hard to fault LEGO for not doing more with the Nolanverse.

The blandness of the cityscapes in Nolan's trilogy is not to blame, though. Lego releases plenty of sets with equally bland or entirely absent backdrops. I think it has more to do with the absence of child friendly, entertaining action set pieces in TDK and TDKR.

But from Batman Begins, they could have done a small Ninja Bruce vs Ducard duel in Nepal, complete with cracking ice (similar to the recent Kenobi vs Vader set), but also a Batcave with Alfred and a monorail set piece as you suggested. Maybe even the League of Shadows compound with all their training gear (pillars, hallucination scene...)?

TDK is a bit tougher since the Tumbler chase scene basically covers it as far as entertaining, child friendly set pieces go. I think a Joker robs the mafia's bank set, or even a Batman vs SWAT set would have raised too many red flags for Lego's child friendly policy.

TDKR: Other than the Bat vs Bane's tumblers, which they released, maybe a Bane vs Batman in sewers with Catwoman in tow?

---

As for BTAS sets, even if nothing official points to those ever seeing the light of day, I'd be all for it. But with the show's 30th anniversary behind us and new DC content planned in the near future I don't see it happening to be honest. Unless the skyline is true and ends up being a massive, massive hit.

Still, we can dream a little. So after the skyline, an Arkham Asylum would be perfect, as well as a Batmobile. Not sure if I'd rather it be a UCS or minifig scale one... Both? And we need a set with BTAS Alfred, Robin and Batgirl minifigs too.

Edited by Mandalore_The_Indomitable
Added content

I don’t think the lack of action scenes in TDKT is the reason we haven’t seen more than a couple of sets for it. We just got three sets based on the Keaton films. Not one of them is actually based on a particular action scene. It’s just vehicles and locations from the films with minifigures thrown in. No reason Lego couldn’t do the same for TDKT. The Bat, Bat-Pod, Tumbler, Bane’s Tumbler. Throw in Bane, Catwoman, Two-Face, and Ra’s Al Ghul. You’ve got a solid wave of sets.

You could argue that the films are too dark in content to make sets on, but then again, we just got sets based on a film where the villains main goal is to kidnap and drown a bunch of infants. And we’ve gotten TDKT sets already.

My guess is DC just isn’t all the popular right now so Lego is playing it safe by only releasing sets based on stuff that is coming out, like they did Keaton sets for The Flash. (If that’s the case, terrible call, btw.)

1 hour ago, Mandalore_The_Indomitable said:

But from Batman Begins, they could have done a small Ninja Bruce vs Ducard duel in Nepal, complete with cracking ice (similar to the recent Kenobi vs Vader set),

Lol but do you really want a set like that? I've seen it for like 50% off at my local drug store.

39 minutes ago, psqidexslizer said:

I don’t think the lack of action scenes in TDKT is the reason we haven’t seen more than a couple of sets for it. We just got three sets based on the Keaton films. Not one of them is actually based on a particular action scene. It’s just vehicles and locations from the films with minifigures thrown in. No reason Lego couldn’t do the same for TDKT. The Bat, Bat-Pod, Tumbler, Bane’s Tumbler. Throw in Bane, Catwoman, Two-Face, and Ra’s Al Ghul. You’ve got a solid wave of sets.

You could argue that the films are too dark in content to make sets on, but then again, we just got sets based on a film where the villains main goal is to kidnap and drown a bunch of infants. And we’ve gotten TDKT sets already.

I'm just talking about why we didn't get a full wave of TDKT sets inspired by the movies' set pieces. The vehicles you mention, well, we all got them. Tumbler, check, The Bat, check, Bane's Tumbler, check. Only the Batpod is missing if I'm not mistaken. But vehicles are not to be included in this discussion, because they're vehicles. A Tumbler set does not come attached with the PG-13 context in which it is used on screen. But if Lego sells your kids a set in which they can reenact a bank robbery in which Ledger's Joker picks off his accomplices as they rob the mob, well, suddenly there's a whole lot of context attached.

As for the Burtonverse, I don't believe that kids are the prime target for a $400 Batcave. Lego is clearly aiming that set at adults who have the disposable income and they're using nostalgia to get them. It sure works on me. So that one's out, it's an adult set AFAIC.

The new Batmobile and the Batwing? Sure, they're for kids too, but again they're vehicles, not set pieces. And for kids who don't know any better, Burton's Batmobile is just "a" Batmobile.

But it's not tomorrow we'll see a wave of sets inspired by Batman Returns' set pieces (here's Batman killing henchmen with a bomb, here's Penguin kidnapping kids on a train, here's Max Shreck being electrocuted by Catwoman...). Lego wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole, for fear of being accused of promoting a movie to kids who are below its recommended age rating, just like McDonald's was back in 1992 when it tried selling Batman Returns-themed Happy Meals.

So my hunch is that the main reason why there isn't a wave of TDKT-branded sets is because the pivotal scenes from these movies, at least TDK and TDKR, are not kid friendly.

20 minutes ago, NovaBricks said:

Lol but do you really want a set like that? I've seen it for like 50% off at my local drug store.

Absolutely not :-)

I was just saying that if Lego had wanted to release a Batman Begins wave, they could have found a few things.

Edited by Mandalore_The_Indomitable

2 hours ago, NovaBricks said:

There was also The Bat, and the Joker ice cream truck chase was clearly a stand in for the semi-truck scene from the TDK. But to the broader point, I don't think there's much you can do with the Nolan trilogy. The latter movies are set in what's clearly just Chicago /Pittsburgh, not exactly ideal for a set. Maybe a monorail car with a short segment of track with Ra's and Gordon? Idk. Hard to fault LEGO for not doing more with the Nolanverse.

Ngl, I legit forgot about those.

But they did release alongisde the movies, right? I was thinking about something more like legacy sets.

55 minutes ago, psqidexslizer said:

we just got sets based on a film where the villains main goal is to kidnap and drown a bunch of infants

Genuinely cannot tell what movie you're talking about

26 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Genuinely cannot tell what movie you're talking about

You haven't seen the Gabby's Dollhouse movie?!

( Pretty sure they're talking about Batman returns)

Edited by Agent Kallus

1 hour ago, PGBQW said:

Ngl, I legit forgot about those.

But they did release alongisde the movies, right? I was thinking about something more like legacy sets.

Can't remember but I'm pretty sure you're right.

4 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

You haven't seen the Gabby's Dollhouse movie?!

( Pretty sure they're talking about Batman returns)

Banger post

3 hours ago, psqidexslizer said:

Batman Returns.

Ohhh I thought you meant a newer movie.

Fair enough, yeah.

I feel like LEGO could easily do a wave of Nolan Trilogy sets in a similar way to this year’s Keaton sets: Bane’s Tumbler (Batman (TDKR), Bane, Talia), The Batpod and GCPD Car (Batman (TDK), Gordon, Joker, Two-Face (with alternate Harvey expression)), The Bat (Batman (TDKR), Catwoman, Bane), and a large TDKR Batcave with Batman’s Tumbler (Batman (BB), Ra’s, Scarecrow, Bruce, Alfred, Lucius, Rachel, and John Blake). 

The reason that I focused so much on TDKR with this hypothetical wave is because it has more vehicles and a more detailed Batcave, as well as to avoid directly repeating the existing BB Tumbler set. Also, I realise that eight Minifigs is a bit high for a non-UCS set, but four of them can be made with existing parts, so it would not drive up the overall cost of production much. 

After seeing that new Wolverine figure, I would absolutely love just one wave of comic based DC figures with that level of printing. Not talking lesser knowns, I mean the A-listers. Superman with properly shaped boots and trunks. Flash with arm bands and winged boots. Aquaman with scaled arms and long gloves with fins. Etc. We’ve already gotten Batman and Wonder Woman (if you take the arms from the CMF figure and stick them on one of the other figures.) Would be great to have a whole JL lineup and a few villains.

2 hours ago, psqidexslizer said:

After seeing that new Wolverine figure, I would absolutely love just one wave of comic based DC figures with that level of printing. Not talking lesser knowns, I mean the A-listers. Superman with properly shaped boots and trunks. Flash with arm bands and winged boots. Aquaman with scaled arms and long gloves with fins. Etc. We’ve already gotten Batman and Wonder Woman (if you take the arms from the CMF figure and stick them on one of the other figures.) Would be great to have a whole JL lineup and a few villains.

Agreed, I would love to see some classic JL and Teen Titans figures with a few their villains with that level of printing and dual-molding. Cyborg and Sinestro from the CMF gave us a good taste of what that could look like. 

35 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well, good luck with that :tongue: Unless we get another DC CMF series, this ain’t happening anytime soon

We’d be lucky to get another DC set anytime soon. 🤣 I’m just saying it would be cool if it happened someday.

1 hour ago, NeutralNoodle said:

Agreed, I would love to see some classic JL and Teen Titans figures with a few their villains with that level of printing and dual-molding. Cyborg and Sinestro from the CMF gave us a good taste of what that could look like. 

First DC CMF was absolutely amazing. Great mix of characters, incredible detailing. I’m disappointed we haven’t seen a series 2.

1 hour ago, psqidexslizer said:

🤣First DC CMF was absolutely amazing. Great mix of characters, incredible detailing. I’m disappointed we haven’t seen a series 2.

That series was simultaneously glorious and tragic. The potential for more like it is diminished, waiting in hope for Gunn's project to work.

Lego overcharged for the batmobile, yet they downgraded the fins and the light gray at the front is irritating

The aesthethic is sleek tho, so even tho I'd like to convert it to a 2 seater, I cant find a moc that comes close to the sleekness

As for 2024 sets, again just give me a new batman adventures batgirl and that's a pass- as if lego is making any non bat sets

Edited by thephantasm

49 minutes ago, thephantasm said:

as if lego is making any non bat sets

As if they‘d release sets with anything other than Batsy and the Joker :laugh_hard: I‘m still not over the fact they simultaneously released three sets with the same two characters.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:12 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

I feel like LEGO could easily do a wave of Nolan Trilogy sets in a similar way to this year’s Keaton sets: Bane’s Tumbler (Batman (TDKR), Bane, Talia), The Batpod and GCPD Car (Batman (TDK), Gordon, Joker, Two-Face (with alternate Harvey expression)), The Bat (Batman (TDKR), Catwoman, Bane), and a large TDKR Batcave with Batman’s Tumbler (Batman (BB), Ra’s, Scarecrow, Bruce, Alfred, Lucius, Rachel, and John Blake). 

The reason that I focused so much on TDKR with this hypothetical wave is because it has more vehicles and a more detailed Batcave, as well as to avoid directly repeating the existing BB Tumbler set. Also, I realise that eight Minifigs is a bit high for a non-UCS set, but four of them can be made with existing parts, so it would not drive up the overall cost of production much. 

That would honestly be perfect. We need affordable Ledger Joker

So what's everyone's thought on when we actually hear some Lego DC rumour set numbers for next year?

26 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

So what's everyone's thought on when we actually hear some Lego DC rumour set numbers for next year?

I’d say same as this year, when the 2HY set lists leak :shrug_oh_well: My expectations are VERY low though. I‘ll consider it an absolute win if we get anything that isn‘t a Batvehicle with Batsy, The Joker, and/or Harley. Even Robin or Batgirl would be phenomenal inclusions at this point :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I’d say same as this year, when the 2HY set lists leak :shrug_oh_well: My expectations are VERY low though. I‘ll consider it an absolute win if we get anything that isn‘t a Batvehicle with Batsy, The Joker, and/or Harley. Even Robin or Batgirl would be phenomenal inclusions at this point :laugh_hard:

That would make sense,  likewise, a BAS wave woukd be the dream or Nolan inspired sets! 

I need more D2C Dark Knight Trilogy sets! I'd kill for a UCS-style Bat or (wide-release) Batpod. I built the Batpod from parts I bought on BrickLink in 2019 and it's one of my favorite LEGO builds ever. It looks great and when you zoom it along the floor the Tumbler tires make a whirring noise exactly like the bike does in the movies. I need more!