LordsofMedieval

The new Lego TV spot

It's been a long, long time since I've seen a Lego TV spot. And this is a strange one (especially the actual 15-second ad, which just has the kids run out of the basement to ride the float. There's literally zero context). I have nothing against Ms. Perry or the song... but were these children even born yet when it was a hit? 

Just kind of a weird ad, IMO.

Edited by LordsofMedieval

They're paying tons of money to a pop singer to mime a song (don't think she's actually singing live) and meanwhile we can't get lower prices. :ugh:

I think LEGO have totally lost their collective minds. (Granted, most of the other Rebuild the World adverts were tolerable, but now they're kind of getting stupid....)

Edited by Murdoch17

9 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

They're paying tons of money to a pop singer to mime a song

I don't think animating that Iron Man was cheap either. 

All in all, not a bad idea for children, but the budget on this one feels rather big. I don't mean to brag as I know some people aren't pleased when others complain about this topic, but this video makes the whole price increase even more unfair. :pir-cry_sad:

I'll never understand why people whine about one-off advertisements like this. Nothing about this ad really struck me as that out of the ordinary for TV advertising (especially around the holiday season, when companies tend to pull out all the stops). I thought it was cute and I liked the variety of themes featured.

Associating the recent price increases with it seems silly to me. A single TV ad, even a comparably expensive one, is not the kind of thing that would break the bank for a company like Lego. It seems obvious to me that across the board price increases have more to do with overarching operating costs than with a single three-minute production.

This commercial is definitely weird, when I first saw It I miss whole building part and I was so confused because of Kate Perry.

First lego ad with famous person? And people wonder why lego sets are pricier ...

17 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'll never understand why people whine about one-off advertisements like this. Nothing about this ad really struck me as that out of the ordinary for TV advertising (especially around the holiday season, when companies tend to pull out all the stops). I thought it was cute and I liked the variety of themes featured.

Associating the recent price increases with it seems silly to me. A single TV ad, even a comparably expensive one, is not the kind of thing that would break the bank for a company like Lego. It seems obvious to me that across the board price increases have more to do with overarching operating costs than with a single three-minute production.

I don't care that they're advertising - most major companies run way more commercials than Lego. I DO think it's a weird ad taken on its own, though. Like, why isn't the vehicle constructed out of bricks? It's just a mish-mash of real-world objects. 

Edited by LordsofMedieval

On 12/12/2022 at 10:01 AM, LordsofMedieval said:

Like, why isn't the vehicle constructed out of bricks? It's just a mish-mash of real-world objects. 

Trust me, Lego bricks are real world items - tread on one and find out.

Children play with a mish-mash of ojects, real world and not - ie imaginary.

Cost, it doesn't matter. It all came out of the advertising buget.

This advert is wacky and fun, AND it achieved it purpose of making people notice it.

11 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

Oof so that's what the "inflation" price increases are going towards... paying Katie Perry to lip-synch and animating Iron Man into a poorly directed commercial.

I hate how quickly a nonsensical conclusion like this becomes the narrative. Y'all, Lego has had TV ads before. They have a separate budget for it. Even with a celebrity appearance, this is nowhere near any sort of unprecedented expense for them.

Anyway, the other day I happened to catch a snippet of Entertainment Tonight and was surprised when they had Lego designer Matthew Ashton on there to talk about the design of Katy Perry's dress for this! It's neat that he got to work on this, considering that before working for Lego his background was fashion design. And it's cool to see a Lego designer make a primetime appearance on American TV.

We have in our country some weird cut, where parts with lego are cut to few seconds. That commercial is super confusing here . 

Well all Rebuild the world ads are all kinda confusing. Lego used to have better ads.

Certainly a weird one. 

The message of building from random parts or sections of different sets/themes is nice enough, but then the part with the map and the actual goal of where they go is just really random, still very fun tho.

I always am a fan of promoting that LEGO is more then just static sets staying together 100% of the time, especially if it involves kids, as they can learn and develop skills from building beyond instructions/apps. (nothing wrong with keeping sets together, just personally I don't think LEGO is the best toy purposed for that)

Edited by TeriXeri

On 12/11/2022 at 1:20 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

As a customer i really hate paying for things like this ad :ugh:

For real. Went to the movies to see the new Avatar the other day and this came on during the previews. I was embarrassed to be a fan.

On 12/11/2022 at 11:20 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

As a customer i really hate paying for things like this ad :ugh:

same here, it irritate me so much.

Instead of paying Katy Perry, I wish they hired more people at the warehouses to clear those backlogs.  Especially the Billund online PAB.  It says it will take up to 28 days to get my order.  I can only wish that were true.