Kai NRG

The Beck of Adventure [GoH 10 C]

Three years ago I left my brand new sig-fig chopping rice as usual and mentioned that his life was (not so) soon to be turned upside down.  Well here the next build finally is. :laugh:

640x480.JPG

Because when Guy arrived at his parents' cottage, he heard some astonishing news: he'd been drafted by the Lord of Shinmizu.  Every year, fifteen lads from the surrounding villages are taken from their rice fields and trained to serve the Lord of Shinmizu.  Some lads long for the change and adventure; others hate the idea of living as the Lord's slaves.  Others, like Guy, take what comes to them.  So he set out with his few belongings in a sack, never dreaming where this adventure would take him...

52463288132_c033805f3e_c.jpg

If you recognize this cottage, it's a redux of my favorite one from Shinmizu village itself.  I imagine the countryside around Shinmizu (which is the real city of canals in GoH, Cedrica is a noob compared to this age old civilization!) is dotted with these little cottages.

640x853.JPG

I noticed this fall that some trees turn colors from their tips in, so I tried to replicate that.  I'm pretty happy with how this tree turned out, I think it looks good without using a ridiculous amount of leaves. :laugh:

640x480.JPG

Since this is a redux of an old build, I considered entering it into the Old but Gold category of the challenge, but it's so much smaller, that hardly made sense.  So it's just a little something for the miscellaneous category.  I'm also donating it to C4C, so if you happen to want it, take a look at the shop.

640x480.JPG

The hardest part of this build was definitely the bridge, took me quite a while to find something that was actually attached.  The other fun thing to point out here is of course the coral leaves, I was trying to eke out my small collection of orange and yellow and found that the coral looked surprisingly good!

640x480.JPG

Well there you have it, my storyline has progressed at last.  Stay tuned for the next installment in another three years! :tongue:  Let me know what you think of this one and thanks for checking it out!

Edited by Kai NRG

Really cool little cottage here Kai.  The SNOT and tiles ends of the house was a cool way to get the half-timber detailing done in ~1 stud width, and the dark red decking for the base / bridge is great.  Is the bridge connected to itself at all or are the segments simply resting on other elements?

On 10/31/2022 at 2:47 PM, mrcp6d said:

Really cool little cottage here Kai.  The SNOT and tiles ends of the house was a cool way to get the half-timber detailing done in ~1 stud width, and the dark red decking for the base / bridge is great.  Is the bridge connected to itself at all or are the segments simply resting on other elements?

Thanks mrcp!  The bridge is connected--that took some work though!  But maybe not as much work as balancing all the pieces in this position! :laugh:

On 11/1/2022 at 5:52 PM, W Navarre said:

Nice beard! 

Thank you... I chose it myself. :tongue:

Gorgeous little house :wub:

I think you should absolutely enter it into the Old but Gold category. You don't have to make things bigger to make them better, and the  overall look and level of detail are greatly improved. The new wooden platform it is built upon was an excellent addition.

Lovely little sections of landscape to complete the scene, those colors pop so well!

that's one nice little build! I like the colour choice and the house looks also good. brick on!

Lots of fun here!  You have a very tight, clean building technique that looks great.  Love all the downed foliage, and the very natural angles that you have with the leaves on the curving tree trunk.  The first photograph with the blurred background is great, too.  I like the rounded tiles on the roof, it has a nice flavor.  The snotted tile walls are great, and the whole build really comes together well!

On 11/7/2022 at 9:45 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Gorgeous little house :wub:

I think you should absolutely enter it into the Old but Gold category. You don't have to make things bigger to make them better, and the  overall look and level of detail are greatly improved. The new wooden platform it is built upon was an excellent addition.

Lovely little sections of landscape to complete the scene, those colors pop so well!

Thanks Isaac!  You make a good argument for putting it into Old but Gold :grin:  We'll see how it strikes me when @Ecclesiastes gets the category threads up ( :poke: )

On 11/9/2022 at 11:09 AM, Simon_S said:

that's one nice little build! I like the colour choice and the house looks also good. brick on!

Thank you!

On 11/22/2022 at 10:06 AM, LordDan said:

Very clean and cozy build, with a great color pallet as well!

Thanks Dan!

13 hours ago, Grover said:

Lots of fun here!  You have a very tight, clean building technique that looks great.  Love all the downed foliage, and the very natural angles that you have with the leaves on the curving tree trunk.  The first photograph with the blurred background is great, too.  I like the rounded tiles on the roof, it has a nice flavor.  The snotted tile walls are great, and the whole build really comes together well!

Thank you!  I always enjoy it when I get a brand new piece and it just happens to hit the spot on something that I was already working on, which is what happened with those humps on the roof!

On 11/26/2022 at 9:47 PM, Kai NRG said:

Thanks Isaac!  You make a good argument for putting it into Old but Gold :grin:  We'll see how it strikes me when @Ecclesiastes gets the category threads up ( :poke: )

Done:look::grin: