The Marquis: Origins - Chapter 5 - The Poker Game

800x524.png

The Marquis: Origins - Chapter 5 - The Poker Game

The story so far:

Chapter 1 - The Interrogation
Chapter 2 - Early Days
Chapter 3 - The First Mate
Chapter 4 - The Storm
Chapter 5 - The Poker Game (you are here)

800x656.jpg

Lady Bonny continued:  After some time in solitude on the island, the First Mate gathered his courage and decided to leave the island.
    The boat was still in terrible shape – and he was no carpenter, he was a sailor.

So, just because of his seamanship and navigation skills, he barely made it to Oleon.

Interrogator: Yes, you have already mentioned that.

800x586.jpg

Lady Bonny: And this is when I first met him, later that same day in October

We were sitting in this smoke-filled tavern, playing cards. The Nobleman, the Admiral and myself.

800x483.jpg

The First Mate stepped in, looking as if he would like to join the game.

800x526.png

It was a good point in time as that was when the Admiral had just lost everything to the Nobleman.
The Admiral offered his seat to the First Mate, but the Nobleman raised his eyebrows and complained:
We are playing for money, my friend. What do you have to offer?

That seemed to be something new to the First Mate. He had obviously only been playing for fun before.

After a moment of hesitation and with a heavy sigh he offered his sword.

800x513.jpg

Slightly frowning, the Nobleman accepted the blade. And so, the game began.

800x548.jpg

After a slow start, where he obviously had to orient himself and was playing very cautiously, the First Mate started to win small sums.
He was becoming more and more confident. As if he could memorize where every card was that he had seen before.

800x469.jpg

And then I was out. The cards were not in my favour that day. I sat back and watched.

It was only the First Mate against that grumpy Nobleman. And the stakes were high.
The First Mate risked every piece of gold he had won so far.
The Nobleman cursed:  A mere sailor is challenging me? Alright, I offer my title, as I do not have enough gold any more – is that accepted?
The First Mate nodded in silence.

They were both going all in.

640x480.jpg

The First Mate won with a Royal Flush. He raised his arms in triumph.

The nobleman angrily threw his glass to the bottom, tore the wig from his head and threw it on the table.

800x526.jpg

He paused for a moment, then he said: What a disgrace: the Marquis d’Ape beaten by a mere sailor.
But I will stick to my word. Here, with this letter you will become the next Marquis d’Ape.

Then he turned and left.

640x483.jpg

The new Marquis celebrated.

800x535.jpg

He removed his sailors hat and put on the wig. He has never been seen without it since that very day.

Then he was off to make his new title official. 
We all cheered!

Lady Bonny: What he soon learned was that he had got nothing more than the title. The previous Marquis had lost all his wealth and fortune before – he obviously was a frequent but not such a good poker player

But the new Marquis seemed determined to restore the pride of his old title!

800x647.jpg

(to be continued)

The monkeys have begged me to release this next chapter earlier than usual - to get over the sad last chapter. :pir-grin:

Edited by Captain Braunsfeld

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The monkeys have begged me to release this next chapter earlier than usual - to get over the sad last chapter. :pir-grin:

lol, great end note :pir_tong2:

Funny story! :pir_laugh2: One of the guests is very happy that the nobleman lost. :pir-grin:

It was a great sequel! It was well told, funny and interesting. I like the different builds you made.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Thank you monkeys, we needed some good news. :pir-grin:  

I definitely didn't see this coming!  The bald head piece after the ci-devant Marquis took off his wig made me smile.  I also love how the wig is such an important part of being a Marquis. :pir-laugh:

On 7/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

The Nobleman cursed:  A mere sailor is challenging me?

Never underestimate a mere sailor (especially when that sailor is a monkey :pir-laugh: :monkey:)!  Things are starting to look up for the Marquis - the new one, I mean :pir-grin:  Great continuation of the story, I definitely laughed once I guessed where the Marquis got his signature wig from! :rofl:

On 7/17/2022 at 7:11 PM, Fraunces said:

lol, great end note :pir_tong2:

Thanks. It seems the humans are now happier too :pir-grin:

On 7/17/2022 at 11:29 PM, NOD said:

Funny story! :pir_laugh2: One of the guests is very happy that the nobleman lost. :pir-grin:

It was a great sequel! It was well told, funny and interesting. I like the different builds you made.

Thx. It is the bartender who is laughing the most.

On 7/18/2022 at 11:40 AM, Spud The Viking said:

Great story - I like the clouds of smoke above the table!

Maybe I should have included some cigars.... where is all the smoke coming from? :pir_laugh2:

On 7/18/2022 at 5:56 PM, Kai NRG said:

Thank you monkeys, we needed some good news. :pir-grin:  

I definitely didn't see this coming!  The bald head piece after the ci-devant Marquis took off his wig made me smile.  I also love how the wig is such an important part of being a Marquis. :pir-laugh:

That is how it is done in Orleon. To be a marquis, you have to have a wig. It comes with the title.

In my mind I always see Steward Granger as Marquis Scaramouche.  But I just checked and it seems he does not wear a white wig. Maybe he is not legit. :pir-laugh:

On 7/18/2022 at 8:34 PM, Garmadon said:

Never underestimate a mere sailor (especially when that sailor is a monkey :pir-laugh: :monkey:)!  Things are starting to look up for the Marquis - the new one, I mean :pir-grin:  Great continuation of the story, I definitely laughed once I guessed where the Marquis got his signature wig from! :rofl:

Monkey? Where? 

Well, I told you I would answer a lot of questions around the Marquis! :pir-grin:

19 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

Ha! Lost his wig too! Fantastic and hilarious piece of origin!

Thank you. I had lots of fun with this part of the story :pir-huzzah2: