VaneStream

Being Pirates 2: Work in Progress and Teasers

Ahoy!

The stop-motion series Being Pirates will get it's second season :pir_laugh2:

As is often the case with projects like this,  it's ending up being alot more work than I originally anticipated, so it'll be quite a while before a trailer or the first episode of season 2 is released. I would like to give you a little update or teaser every now and then in this thread.

I've mainly been working on creating MOCs as film sets in the last months, as well as fleshing out the script. I've tried to make it funny like the first season, although this time it won't be quite as dialog-heavy and have more action and adventure.

One of these settings is  a large harbour town in a caribbean style. It's a work in progress and the arrangement of the various buildings might change, and there's still alot of work to be done, but here's a sneek peak:

51924576002_1005ac4eff_c.jpgHarbour Town

I'm working on making a base for the town as well as for an imperial fortress on a cliff edge. For this I'm trying out terrain building using polystyrene, plaster and paint.

51924575987_b3b6ae4cba_c.jpgChurch

Let me know what you think!

2 hours ago, VaneStream said:

It's coming along nicely!

I'm working on making a base for the town as well as for an imperial fortress on a cliff edge. For this I'm trying out terrain building using polystyrene, plaster and paint.

Looks like it's doing the job so far! But it's all in the painting details that will determine the effectiveness.

One of these settings is  a large harbour town in a caribbean style.

You've captured that Caribbean look quite well!

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

It's coming along nicely!

Looks like it's doing the job so far! But it's all in the painting details that will determine the effectiveness.

You've captured that Caribbean look quite well!

Thank you Mister Phes!

I've been watching some tutorial videos for terrain making and hope I'll be able to do the painting well.

6 hours ago, Bricky Steamboat said:

Looking good! You can't have too many trees in a Caribbean setting, go nuts on those.

I've built a couple but I'll definately build more. I recently ordered a bunch or parts for trees :-)

3 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

I love the Church rocky surrounding :pir-thumb:

Thanks :-) It's still a work in progress, I'll add paint, grassy areas and sand.

Looking awesome @VaneStream! I've played around with non-LEGO bases underneath MOCs and it works well to add a lot of relief without a ton of bricks. DUPLO also work for that, and bricks fit on them.

Creative QT company make a cool LEGO baseplate with adhesive on the back, so you can mount them on wood or foam (or walls!)

On 3/8/2022 at 9:58 PM, evancelt said:

Looking awesome @VaneStream! I've played around with non-LEGO bases underneath MOCs and it works well to add a lot of relief without a ton of bricks. DUPLO also work for that, and bricks fit on them.

Creative QT company make a cool LEGO baseplate with adhesive on the back, so you can mount them on wood or foam (or walls!) 

Thanks Evancelt! Yes, especially for landscape I love non-lego terrain, and the combination of lego and non-lego terrain. In many of the old lego catalogs or posters from the 90s they combined lego sets with non-lego terrain, for example for castle or pirates, and I always really enjoyed that.

Thanks for the info about the Creative QT baseplate, that's amazing!

On 3/9/2022 at 7:58 AM, evancelt said:

DUPLO also work for that, and bricks fit on them.

Evan is the master of Duplo!

Another update post on Being Pirates, this time with first screenshots from episode 1.

I've decided to complete all episodes first and then release them on a weekly basis, as releasing them when they are finished sometimes leaves months between the episodes, by which time people will have forgotten what happened previously. This means it'll be quite a while before the whole thing will be released. I'd like to keep you all updated though and give you pictures and behind the scenes stuff.

So here are first screenshots from episode 1:

52153229578_3d816ccd57_c.jpg

52153229623_b9a7cc71e9_c.jpg

52153463369_a04d030dd4_c.jpg

52153463384_ec9b130e32_c.jpg

I'm quite happy with how the sea has turned out. For season one I did computer effects for the water, but that was always complicated and difficult to do and meant the camera had to be stationary, without camera pans and zooms. Now I've painted a large 2x2m canvas with acrylics and then used silicon to make it shiny and give it an uneven, watery "structure". Now I can even animate waves myself and can do camera movements, which really gives me freedom to experiment.

52153256018_14aa16d97f_c.jpg

Edited by VaneStream

2 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

first shot reminds me of POTC 2 opening

I've seen in the behind scenes documentary that it was based on Vanestream idea they found on Eurobricks years before when he used old profile, which was hacked and deleted, by Hollywood elite in collaboration with Disney, to cover their tracks.

The documentary was also then deleted from YouTube.

@VaneStream You could also share, perhaps, synopsis of the Season 2?

The sea looks excellent! :pir-thumb:

On 6/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, Jack Sassy said:

@VaneStream this looks lovely, first shot reminds me of POTC 2 opening, can't wait for new season! :pir-thumb:

Thanks Jack! I had to look up the opening scene of POTC 2 and yes, I can absolutely see the similarities, the colours are very similar, probably I was indirectly inspired by it and similar scenes.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:03 PM, Marooned Marin said:

I've seen in the behind scenes documentary that it was based on Vanestream idea they found on Eurobricks years before when he used old profile, which was hacked and deleted, by Hollywood elite in collaboration with Disney, to cover their tracks.

:pir-laugh: yup, I'm sure that's what happened. :pir-thumb:

You could also share, perhaps, synopsis of the Season 2?

I don't want to spoil to much, but part of the plot involves Clint and little Tinku, a toddler from an islander tribe, getting captured by the Imperials and Longsocks, the Captain and Vane heading out to try to break them out of the prison in the Fort at Port Tentuous. The unsinkable III and a kraken are involved, as well as other things.

The sea looks excellent! :pir-thumb:

Thanks you! :pir-classic:

On 6/17/2022 at 11:03 PM, Marooned Marin said:

Such shame! I shall never see it! :pir-cry_sad:

Excellent rain and storm effects! :pir-thumb:

And as already pointed out: the water surface looks really realistic! It even seems to be transparent. You're also an artist! :pirate: 

14 hours ago, Legostein said:

Excellent rain and storm effects! :pir-thumb:

And as already pointed out: the water surface looks really realistic! It even seems to be transparent. You're also an artist! :pirate: 

Thanks Legostein! I'm also positively surprised with how it turned out.

Looks great! Great ship and the sea looks terrific. Do you have a tutorial on how to make that sea look like that?