LukeSkybuilder

BTL K-Wing Bomber

51707491255_116b37cb92_k.jpgLego K-Wing Bomber Type A by LukeSkybuilder, on Flickr

This is one of the largest starfighters I have built and it is built to 1:37 scale (minifig scale). You might ask why it is missing the dual cockpits and dual bubble turrets and that is a good question! This is a Type-A version of the ship which is more accurate to the books (Black Fleet Crisis) that it comes from. The Type-B (or uglier version if you will) was created due to a picture from the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels being wildly inaccurate. I photoshoped that picture super fast to make it more accurate to BFC:

51707501045_322ba3d530_b.jpgK-Wing Bomber Type A by LukeSkybuilder, on Flickr

Here she is with no payload and with her landing gear down. Not sure how cannon the landing foot is but I assumed it would exist.

51706606131_8457a34a86_k.jpgLego K-Wing Bomber Type A by LukeSkybuilder, on Flickr

I made a few different payload profiles for it (see the video) and here are some of my favorite of the bits and bobs I made for them including a "SAB-A7 Buzz Droid" of my own concept (based on the Imp probe droid and the Sep Buzz Droid), a cargo/ammo/supply drop crate and a speeder bike drop crate.

51728475962_02fa113eff_b.jpgLego Sab-A7 "Buzz" Droid (For K-Wing) by LukeSkybuilder, on Flickr

51729536568_a1b7904f11_b.jpgLego Supply Crate (For K-Wing) by LukeSkybuilder, on Flickr

51729936234_ac587a359c_b.jpgLego Speeder Crate (For K-Wing) by LukeSkybuilder, on Flickr

Edited by LukeSkybuilder
Fixed links

Kudos for making one of ugliest ships in SW fandom into something actually cool, nice and making sense!

Ditching all the stupid little addons really helped it!

On 12/12/2021 at 3:41 PM, Jerac said:

Ditching all the stupid little addons really helped it!

Yup it was way cooler in the Black Fleet Crisis books XD. I do feel kind of compelled to make the crazy messy version tho

The K-Wing is my favorite SW ship. Love your version. Not sure how I missed it before!

Great work on the ship! I actually like the Space-Warthog now. Squaring off the cockpit and cutting out the tacked on, chin-mounted ball turret, alongside the inline double cockpit does a lot to save the K-Wing from looking like an overly-complicated pile of ship parts. However, with the engine moved to its earlier position under the ship, I think the top looks a little too barren, what with the wings continuing right over the body. While not technically shown anywhere, I think it could be a good spot to integrate the more recessed bubble turret from the later version of the ship and similar to the Clone Wars era Y-Wing.