jamzee

60197 City Passenger Train Set x2 query

Hi Team

I hope all's well, I'd like to get 2 x 60197 City Passenger Train Set to put back to back, but am wondering if the rear section's motor gets damaged not being used and rotating backwards all the time?

Any thoughts and comments would be welcome - huge thanks in advance!

Best,

James

powered up doesnt allow the stacking of connectors like 9v/pf did so youd have to do this in software with the app or another solution would be to build a dummy motor with some technic bricks an a boogie plate

it is powered up we are talking about youbare thinking of the older powerfunctions wherethat was possible now it is 1 hub output = 1 motor/light and you also cant set two hubs to the same channel as they are bluetooth. but the poster has solved this already for him as i just saw in the doctor brick forum so my post was redundant

You can still achieve what you want. You can pair both HUbs to one remote on the same "channel" (indicated by selecting same color on each hub pressing the green button several times to switch through them) If you put Motor 1 on A of its HUB and Motor 2 on B of its HUB you can control both motors with the same remote. Just turn one dial upside down and you simply increase and decrease the speed by pushing both buttons (plus on one side and minus on the other) at the same time.

Other then that, from my experience you don't even need to use two motors for a 6 double long 60197 train, if you replace the motor on one end with a dummy boogie.

@XG BC:
You can use multiple hubs with same remote on same "channel" with powered up. You could even put a motor on every HUBs A port and with pushing the remote button, all of them would activate simultaneously. The only thing that does not exist like with power functions is a "reverse" modul to put in between, to avoid both motors going each into opposite directions if installed on the same train engine. Thats where you would need the method described above.

Edited by Elphiel

I paired the hubs and just turned the rear motor around. The cord just comes out the rear door of the loco and around the coupler.

SD

5 hours ago, mortenm said:

Why don't use both motors? 

Because it takes like 8 batteries.

This is where Pybricks comes in. You can flash the firmware on the hub to Pybricks and include a program on there permanently.

This is what I used to get it working. Control your trains without smart device - with Pybricks

With the program, before you flash it to the hub, you can edit it. I chose to reverse the second motor's direction so both motors are connected to the same hub, on separate channels. With the program, they both turn at the same time, in opposite directions! I put both motors in one loco, with a few modifications. It is strong enough to break apart the magnetic couplings now. In fact, Lok24 included a second profile in his program which allows switching to a slower, shunting speed, program by pressing the centre button on the controlled once. This makes for a more realistic pull away from stations, then when you're away from the platform you can switch to profile 1 and floor it (so to speak) at full speed. With two motors it will just fly off the track in the first corner and take the whole train with it unless you're running larger radius curves.

Now I can drive the lock with one hand, on one side of the controller and have the two motors running as I could before with Power Functions. Only downside is, no lights. Might have to find some space to fit a 9v battery box in there so I can get some PF lights hooked up too. I really like the low speed option as well. Makes it a lot more realistic (as one can achieve with Lego at least).

10 minutes ago, Toxic43 said:

With two motors it will just fly off the track in the first corner and take the whole train with it unless you're running larger radius curves.

:wink: You could set maxSpeed .....

10 minutes ago, Toxic43 said:

I really like the low speed option as well. Makes it a lot more realistic (as one can achieve with Lego at least).

With tacho motors instead of the train motors you can really archieve low speed:

https://youtu.be/UaNMkoPSUSA

Edited by Lok24

15 hours ago, Elphiel said:

@XG BC:
You can use multiple hubs with same remote on same "channel" with powered up. You could even put a motor on every HUBs A port and with pushing the remote button, all of them would activate simultaneously. The only thing that does not exist like with power functions is a "reverse" modul to put in between, to avoid both motors going each into opposite directions if installed on the same train engine. Thats where you would need the method described above.

oh sorry for making false claims then i just assumed it beeing bluetooth based that lego wouldnt go to the lenght of integrating multi device connectivity into it. i dont own powered up myself i just assumed it