The Old Mill

A freebuild for Avalonia

There are countless old mills around the countrysides of Avalonia, along every stream and river, wherever the local farmers can bring their abundant harvests from their fertile fields. They vary in style, with some being powered by the current of the river from below, while others, like this one, are powered by water falling over the top of them. More than any other building in Avalonia, more than the castles, the towers, the palaces, the mills symbolize the wealth, prosperity, and fertility of the realm. May the mills never stop grinding in the green fields!

51237743665_2865a9578a_c.jpg

And it spins, too, if a tad aggressively due to the only LEGO motor in my collection being a single-speed RC car.

C&C welcome!

Wow, that's gorgeous!  I love the colors, especially against the grey background.  It reminds me of a storm blowing in.  The yellow could be kind of adobe, but the way you frame it with the trees and colors makes me think more sandstone.  Great lighting on the shot.  Love the reflection in the water.  The wheel does spin a bit fast... maybe a gear reduction or a worm gear?  Looks great though!  Is there a back or an interior to it?  Keep up the great work!

By Joe! This looks so realistic (and is) and cool. An amazing job done on it. :pir-love:

I agree, the lighting and the background do give it an 'on the edge of a storm' look - which matches the season lately where I live.  The roof technique and color is excellent and a great usages for your seed part.  The vines climbing up the side are terrific as well... I might need to use this technique myself.

That definitely does have some spinning power on it. :laugh: 

I find I like the warmth of the lighting more every time I look at this--and I liked it the first time!  The spoilers look perfect as a roof too, I'm starting to want a hundred of them for myself! :grin:  Plus you have some great vines.  It's really a lovely scene.

Looks very nice, and the atmosphere is great. Loving the roof and the good part usage.
Just some nitpicking, less cracks on the main building facade I think would look better and
the speed of the water mill maybe a bit more tranquil would help to look more tranquil.
Overall an excellent job.

On 6/10/2021 at 10:00 PM, Grover said:

Wow, that's gorgeous!  I love the colors, especially against the grey background.  It reminds me of a storm blowing in.  The yellow could be kind of adobe, but the way you frame it with the trees and colors makes me think more sandstone.  Great lighting on the shot.  Love the reflection in the water.  The wheel does spin a bit fast... maybe a gear reduction or a worm gear?  Looks great though!  Is there a back or an interior to it?  Keep up the great work!

Thanks, Grover! Yeah, I was going for a sandstone look. The wheel does spin fast, but I’ll be honest, I don’t understand gear ratios well enough to figure it out. Maybe next time I’ll tinker with it a bit more. I did manage to get it to work for my purposes with different gears, but that was just to get the turbo speed of the race car motor down to a manageable level of torque (is that right? Gosh it’s been a long time since physics class…). As for interior, kind of…I mean, it has an inside, it’s just not built up into anything since it wasn’t going to be visible in the final shot. 

On 6/11/2021 at 2:50 AM, Jack Sassy said:

By Joe! This looks so realistic (and is) and cool. An amazing job done on it. :pir-love:

Thanks!

On 6/11/2021 at 9:54 AM, jtooker said:

I agree, the lighting and the background do give it an 'on the edge of a storm' look - which matches the season lately where I live.  The roof technique and color is excellent and a great usages for your seed part.  The vines climbing up the side are terrific as well... I might need to use this technique myself.

Feel free to steal the vine technique. I know I didn’t invent it! I think I first saw it on a creation by John Snyder some years back, but I don’t remember anymore. 

On 6/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, Kai NRG said:

That definitely does have some spinning power on it. :laugh: 

I find I like the warmth of the lighting more every time I look at this--and I liked it the first time!  The spoilers look perfect as a roof too, I'm starting to want a hundred of them for myself! :grin:  Plus you have some great vines.  It's really a lovely scene.

Thanks, Geneva! Glad you like the warmth of the light. I took pictures in two different lighting settings, and definitely liked the dramatic lighting better. I have a hundred of the spoilers that I never want to see again, if you want them…

On 6/12/2021 at 9:57 AM, Niku said:

Looks very nice, and the atmosphere is great. Loving the roof and the good part usage.
Just some nitpicking, less cracks on the main building facade I think would look better and
the speed of the water mill maybe a bit more tranquil would help to look more tranquil.
Overall an excellent job.

If I had the knowledge of getting the mill wheel to spin slower, I would have done it, for sure! Glad you like the atmosphere! 

Very, very impressive work here. I especially like the way you showed moss on the old mill, but the whole thing is well made

On 7/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, Spader said:

Very, very impressive work here. I especially like the way you showed moss on the old mill, but the whole thing is well made

Thanks! I'm sure I stole the vine technique from John Snyder or someone like that, I'm hardly an original builder. Glad you like it, though!