Sign in to follow this  
Ross Fisher

[OL - CH IV - CAT D] Sil Channel Crossing

It was a tricky situation, that much was obvious. Ducarte had to allow the ferry to run; it was a good investment - L'Olius had made sure of that. Yes, there were bridges across the Sil in other spots, but out in the estuary, a ferry was a logical solution.

Silithonia Ferry

And, now that the Atwi were land-locked, letting them operate the barge was a solution for everyone. It allowed the natives to have a base where they could access the sea, and it ensured that the connection was managed by a neutral party.

Silithonia Ferry

So what if they had turned it into an impromptu marketplace? It helped to keep his ticket sales up. And there were all sorts there; barber-surgeons, native artists, fishermen, tattooists, livestock sellers, and those who trade in goods best exchanged in international waters...

Silithonia Ferry

No, what really worried Ducarte was that it was L'Olius himself who had proposed the connection. The man had been his friend for a dozen long years, and his enemy for six short months. And during those dozen long years, Rodrigo Ducarte had learned well that forgiveness was not something that Cristóbal Diego L'Olius gave without extracting a heavy price.

Silithonia Ferry

So this is my half of the Cat D collab with @evancelt. I really liked the idea of a bustling market ferry, so I tried to throw in a good mix of jobs that people might be doing. Also wanted a bit of an Oleonaise slant on things, which is why there's a coffin on the dockside and a baptism happening in the water. Maybe not my best work, but a lot of fun nonetheless.

Extra images:

Silithonia FerrySilithonia Ferry

Edited by Ross Fisher

Very nice entry, Ross - all the minifig activity going on really brings the scene alive, but I've got to admit the animals make it for me!  Well, and that guy playing the flute :pir-grin:  Excellent colors throughout too, and the sand by the docking spot adds a lot to the scene :thumbup:

This is a really neat idea, great bustling feel to it too!  I love how people are doing the randomest things, like holding scissors and playing flute! 

P.S. the head on a barrel that the girl is talking to is really creeping me out... :pir-laugh:

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

the head on a barrel that the girl is talking to is really creeping me out..:pir-laugh:

Ah, it's supposed to be a carved wooden bust. Uses the Jack Sparrow voodoo doll head. I should've put more tools in the artist's hands. Influenced by this sort of thing:

Bronze-head-African-bronze-Afo-Portugues

Edited by Ross Fisher

Good idea. I like the build and choice of minifigures. It looks fun.

Like I said on Flickr: I love all the activity going on and all of the mini scenes and stories, such as the baptism and the trade happening on the ferry. Excellent figures as usual, with plenty of character oozing from each and every one of them. The ferry itself looks rugged and robust as well. Great scene!

12 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Ah, it's supposed to be a carved wooden bust. Uses the Jack Sparrow voodoo doll head. I should've put more tools in the artist's hands. Influenced by this sort of thing:

Aha, so that's what that it. I thought it was an idol or something, but more voodoo-like for sinister purposes. Is that a (really early) Greek bust? Can't quite pinpoint the style.

2 hours ago, Khorne said:

Is that a (really early) Greek bust? 

Benin Bronze. It's worth spending an hour or so Googling them, really interesting to see colonialism from the native perspective. 

18 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

That makes sense.  In fact, I figured it was something like that (well, cloth stuffed with straw was what I was thinking...) but it's still giving me scary vibes. :pir_laugh2:

Excellent collab Ross! These minifig heavy builds are really really amazing and this type of solution for a divided city is a really nice idea!!! Best of luck to you and @evancelt!

2 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

Looks like a medium commerce

How right you are. Submitted and licensed. Thanks for the reminder.