Hi,

Since I read in another thread that you guys like WIP threads, I decided to put out my alternate of the Land Rover set as I am making it. As the set has a great array of suspension related parts, I wondered what kind of an off-roader could I build with a fundamentally different suspension than the original model. Given the green color, the Willys Jeep looked like a good choice. I like its simple and symmetric chassis, and I have never built a leaf spring suspension before, but it seemed definitely possible with 8 A-arms in the set. The gearbox parts of the Land Rover set also allow for lots of possibilities to build. I did some research, and found out that besides the gearbox, the Willys Jeep has a hi/lo gear selector, and also an RWD/4WD switch, all seemingly possible from the Land Rover. The engine is an inline 4.

Here is my progress so far, maybe I am throwing it in a bit late in the process, but at least the bodywork is already getting recognizable. I managed to build the leaf spring suspension for both live axles, and I squeezed in a 4 speed H shaped manual gearbox, as well as the RWD/4WD switch and the hi/lo gear selector into a fairly packed design. The steering is functional, and there's also HOG steering. The inline 4 engine is functional, the hood opens and the windshield is foldable.

800x598.jpeg

800x598.jpeg

800x598.jpeg

Let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Looks recognizable from the front. I hope to see better suspension images. If I remember correctly original didn't have central differential and 4wd was oy for slippery ground, or asphalt due to missing central differential mechanical failures due to different axle speeds happend often.

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I hope to see better suspension images.

Here's an image of the front suspension from the side, and from the bottom.

800x598.jpeg

800x598.jpeg

4 hours ago, I_Igor said:

If I remember correctly original didn't have central differential and 4wd was oy for slippery ground, or asphalt due to missing central differential mechanical failures due to different axle speeds happend often.

As you see on the bottom image, it does not have a central differential, instead, the main drive axle is not in the center but split into two parts, and the front part can be detached from the drive with the orange shifter piece, this is how the RWD/4WD switch works.

Here's a photo of the engine too, that I have worked on a bit.

800x598.jpeg

On 4/5/2021 at 2:18 PM, Scoar Sonander said:

Nice model! Looking forward to seeing where this goes. I like the new type of suspension, it's something different for a change! 

Thanks, with the bodywork now on the suspension works quite well, it feels like the Land Rover, but uses only one hard spring.

Here's an update, I have finished the rear part of the bodywork and the interior, although the wheel arch is not a perfect match here, I obviously used that one, it's good enough. Also, I have added a detachable roof, the real thing has a foldable sort of linen roof, which I tried to imitate, and I think it works quite well, resembles the real one.

I have also added some exhaust pipes on the side which also helps to get the right height of the side panel visually, which was too high in its original 5L size. Furthermore, there's a detachable spare wheel and a jerry can on the back.

169012776_914261146019544_50345399132545

170446393_732193284090561_16127449930882

169908809_752606275332218_42986012121460

169976452_788969192016104_57981818865403

169461839_299175111622219_52375095198362

169355240_1079370555899948_6732800425113

169151549_157199366194604_64952994969816

And here's a cleaner photo of the rear suspension:

169383346_133213472098081_44985178427696

2 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

I personally like it without the roof...  great going! 

Actually, I prefer the real thing without the roof too, that's the more iconic image, I guess it's mostly used and seen like that, and in the beginning I found the roof a bit ridiculous in reality, but now I got used to it and think it's not too bad, that's why I modelled it :)

That is a really good B-model, and fits the color much better than the original! Love it!

-ED-

8 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

That is a really good B-model, and fits the color much better than the original! Love it!

Thanks, the good color match was also one of the reasons I chose this for building.

1 hour ago, MY1 said:

what is the point of the gear on top the roof?

That’s the hand of god steering, in case you want to pay with it, but you can take that out for displaying. Besides, the steering wheel is also functional.

Great build. I like what you were able to do with the parts from 42110. I too like it best without the top, but the I am glad you have it as an option. I am all about the system builds that allow you to make changes to a MOC to shift its character.

Thanks, agreed, optional accessories are good because then everyone can find how they like it. Before seeing MOCs around here and on Rebrickable, I did not think about that, was more function focused, but I guess I will aim to include more of those in my builds, along with fine details such as engine builds and interiors. I actually find those interesting to replicate and the end result is more realistic.

This inspired me to actually buy the set!

Now can't wait to get it, build the A model and then this!

I am a little confused about the rear suspension set up though. Is the "leaf spring" just a fake to look like it but the actual suspension is traditional ? 

6 minutes ago, Ivorrr said:

This inspired me to actually buy the set!

Now can't wait to get it, build the A model and then this!

Thanks, great to hear that!

6 minutes ago, Ivorrr said:

I am a little confused about the rear suspension set up though. Is the "leaf spring" just a fake to look like it but the actual suspension is traditional ? 

It depends on what you mean by "fake" and "traditional" :) If by traditional you mean the typical double wishbone suspension, then no, it's not traditional. This is a floating axle setup, like in the real Jeep. However, the leaf spring is not like in reality that it would actually bend, there are no good ways to build that from Lego as there are no stiff but still flexible parts. Instead, the Leaf spring is imitated by three sections joined in a flexible way (the two A-arms and the axle itself), and the suspension is provided in the middle by a regular spring, and not the "leaf", but nevertheless this imitated "leaf" has the function of keeping the axle in position. Or by fake, did you mean using a traditional spring?