Paperinik77pk

Lego FS E.656 in H0 Scale - and Italian UIC-X coaches

Hi all,

I would like to share with you my first attempt to recreate a Lego model in an unusual scale, which is the standard H0 (1:87).

It all started from G scale wagon with studs from LGB. Marklin is offering the same solution on an H0 train, specifically the Marklin H0 29730 starting set, which is featuring wagon bases with studs. Recently this Marklin train has been also recalled here in the forum.

So , having some old Lima trains in 1:87, I wanted to give a try to this scale. Not so much calculation involved here - I simply changed lenght of H0 models in studs.

I prepared a design of a tipical FS Italian Express train of the 80s, consisting in an E.656 , plus some FS unified UIC-X cars in "Livery Red" and  Gray paint scheme. Their doors should have been Gold...but the gold chromed part was too shiny and orange was not fitting at all. So I used a simple yellow :sweet:

Lego FS E.656 1:87 - 80s Express Train

All cars and locomotive are recalling the dimensions of the 1:87 models. One thing is not fitting at all, and is clearly visible - wheels and track are 4-wide as the rolling stock.

The E656 is articulated and composed by 3 bogies as the original one. In this case, the central bogie is not the pivot point for the two halves of the locomotive as in the prototype. It is attached to one of the semy-bodies. This is due to the fact I wanted the two halves as close as possible. The coupling between them is made using the classic plates with towballs.

The headlights will require a white (or transparent) 3l or 4l bar to be cut to fit the length of the red headlight holder brick.

The E656 has a very pointy nose, very difficult to replicate, so I did not even try to reproduce it, playing with colors. This locomotive is static - at least for the moment. Bogies turn and can arrange a curve, but having them powered with small wheels...should require some 3d printing or ready made H0 bogies. Let's see - in the meantime the interior is completely empty so there's room for a small small motor (not Lego, as a matter of fact).

This is another part of the experiment - it is the first E.656 I've ever designed. :blush:

Lego FS E.656 1:87

And now a look at the coaches, not so much to tell here, apart these CAN really mount H0 bogies (trough plates with holes) and recall the Marklin general idea.

This is the FS UIC-X baggage car (Type D):

Lego FS UIC-X Type D - 1:87 - 80s Express Train

This is the UIC-X Type A - First Class car:

Lego FS UIC-X Type A - 1:87 - 80s Express Train

Then, a mixed 1ST/2ND Class UIC-X:

Lego FS UIC-X Type A - 1:87 - 80s Express Train

And finally, a 2ND Class UIC-X car (Type B):

Lego FS UIC-X Type B - 1:87 - 80s Express Train

The cars and locomotive are linked using this simple coupling (usilng 3L Pins with friction and 1L axle) . The "hook" can be rotated, allowing all cars to be coupled on both sides. For static display, cars can be coupled closer one to each other, simply substituting one of the 3L pins with a 1L pin with axle.

Coupling 1:87

And In the end, a bird's eye view of the whole Express Train. :laugh:

Lego FS E.656 1:87 - 80s Express Train

Luckily, the FS Foundation for preservation of historic locomotives, lines and rolling stock is recently very active and really motivated to preserve our railway old glories...

...and the E.656 is surely one of them. :wub:

I hope you like it!!!

Ciao!

Davide

Davide, this is (again and again) beyond belief.

My take is: With LEGO: The smaller the scale, the harder it gets. But it seems as if you are just - negating that. This is such a wonderful, detailed rendition ... I can't believe it.

Wow.

What I like even more so: Going from your Garden-Railroad models to this H0 scale.

I have no idea, how you do that - but you simply do that.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

All the best
Thorsten 

Edited by Toastie

I like it too very much. So toy-ish, yet with realistic colors and proportions. Very well done.

16 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Fantastic work ...the whole train is amazing and the locomotive is a great iconic model! :wub_drool:

As usual beautiful background! :pir-huzzah2:

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I agree, go from major to minor scale with ease, well done! :thumbup:

Thanks Emanuele for your support and kind words!!! :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide 

16 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Wow...this is so well detailed it's hard to believe it's 4-wide!

Thanks sir! :laugh: This is all in all a good scale, especially for dioramas. All my mini trains were at least 6-wide and it was a nice challenge! 

2 hours ago, Selander said:

I like it too very much. So toy-ish, yet with realistic colors and proportions. Very well done.

I'm glad you got the toy-ish feeling - it was one of my main goals - to be as less precise as possible due to brick forms but yet to give the general looks. Thanks!!! :laugh:

36 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Great work, like it!

Thanks you very much!

14 hours ago, Toastie said:

Davide, this is (again and again) beyond belief.

My take is: With LEGO: The smaller the scale, the harder it gets. But it seems as if you are just - negating that. This is such a wonderful, detailed rendition ... I can't believe it.

Wow.

What I like even more so: Going from your Garden-Railroad models to this H0 scale.

I have no idea, how you do that - but you simply do that.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

All the best
Thorsten 

Thanks to you, Thorsten - you always have so kind words - it's really, really appreciated! :classic:

H0 is  a nice scale for real models:wub: - and I think a nice challenge in Lego. I'm seeing other locomotives that could be transformed...after all UIC wagons are common in Europe and can be coloured in different ways to create consists. The real challenge is to MOVE these things. Let's see...:grin:

Ciao and thank you again!

Davide

On 3/24/2021 at 3:09 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Superb work. You captured the look and feel of the trainset in 4-wide, which isn't easy to do.

Thanks!!! Currently it's not so easy but...all in all easier than it seems :sweet:

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

This is brilliant and inspirational, great job!

Thank you very much!!! :laugh: :thumbup:

Ciao!

Davide