Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Yamanote Line E231-500 series

My first train project and the largest MOC I've done so far. Inspired by my first trip to Tokyo, the Yamanote line became essential for getting around.

Initially this project was going to be a lot smaller. A 4 stud wide mini train, but then I decide 6 wide which would be minifigure scale. It then became 8 as I suddenly wanted to fill the thing to the brim with figures. It also was originally a lot shorter with only 3 of the 4 sets of doors. Then the platform came, and then a second coach! 

The platform is a mish-mash of stations. The design is based on the smaller stops but the signs suggest its Shinjuku (which would require a larger platform). I've tried to utilise used bricks to give the station a bit of age. The roof is made using brick separator sprayed grey (sorry to the purists!)

I then filled the stop and trains with all the salarymen, OL and students that you would see during a typical morning rushhour.

This was also the first time I used custom printed decals. There was a lot of trial and error with these either being too weak and tearing or blurring up. The decals I made include Suica inspired IC cards, station signage, advertisements and details to front of the train. The adverts are for Mega Donki stores, Family Mart, Apple Coca Cola (its delicious!), Boss Coffee and everyones favourite JPop group LGO 48! The 2x6 sign unfortunately ended up a bit blurred and the arrow is actually pointing the wrong direction. Something I will fix when I next print decals.

50979414987_710fc52153_c.jpg

50978604823_904051275f_c.jpg

50979415687_f4fd474e9a_c.jpg

Some more photos can be found here

Brilliantly done on both the exterior and especially the interior details. 

The photo of the packed interior really brings back memories of the rush hour period in the mornings. 

Nice rendition of a small Tokyo station. I remember the crowds on their trains headed into downtown. It's amazing how many people they can quickly get into the cars and have them on their way.

6 hours ago, Dav1d said:

Is the station roof made from brick separators?

Nobody (funny name) noted he spray painted the brick separators. I don't mind it as they do tend to accumulate and it's a stretch at times to figure out how to use them.

A great MOC, and with the progress from 4, to 6, to 8 to +station, it sounds like you've caught the bug. Seek out your local LUG immediately for emergency services.

Awsome moc! I wouldnt have noticed the painted Brick Seperators until you pointed them out.I just thought they where from some lego clone company.

XG BC

Really nice, agree that eight-studs is the best way to show a packed commuter train. It's also a lovely finishing touch to do an appropriate MOC station to go with a MOC train, it makes it come alive.

Gorgeous!  I'm a big fan of Japanese trains, and this is one I've been wanting to make as well.  You've captured the E231 superbly!