Zerobricks

[WIP] 1:8 Mercedes-AMG One HYBRID

Having recently gained a few experiences modeling complicated shapes in LDD using real scaled models as references I got an idea for something different.

There's been a plenty of manual 1:8 models and there's aslo been plenty of motorized models, so this inspired me to do something different.

Why not make a hybrid? Here's the basic idea:

Have the front wheels driven by electric motors while the rear one drive the fake engine via the usual paddle shift gearbox.

The model can be used in a manual or remote controlled mode. This is why I'm using PU motors for steering, they are easy to drive back manually unlike the PF servo motor.

In manual mode you can easily push and steer the car and shift gears like any other mnaual supercar.

Once both BuWIzz 3.0 bricks used to drive the car are powered on the model can be remotely driven like an RC car.

After looking up several real cars online I decided for the Mercedes-AMG one, because it has the perfect architecture I wanted to replicate:

maxresdefault.jpg

mercedes-amg-project-one-underpinnings.j

I managed to find a free 3D model and import it in the LDD and started building starting with the front axle. The front wheels will be powered by 4 BuWizz motor via 3:5 gear ratio. This will give the model 35Ncm torque at around 1200rpm allowing for top speed of around 18 km/h.

1280x603.jpg

The front suspension is replicated after the real one this particular car uses. The car uses a special mechanism to seperate the forces acting on suspension, more info in this video:

I managed to redesign the front suspension to be compact enough to just fit inder the hood:

1280x603.jpg

Here's a view of the front axle with the 3D reference model hidden. The CV joints from 42099 are used to carry the massive torque involved with accelerating and stopping this model:

1280x603.jpg

For the rear gearbox i plan to design it so it's slightly different than usual supercar geraboxes.

The power will first go to D+N gearbox and from there to the 8 speed paddle shift gearbox. This way the whole gearbox can be totally dissengaged increasing the efficiency of the model when in remote mode.

And since this is a hybrid the reverse gear is not needed, additionally simplifying the entire driveline.

I think this a good project to further improve my modelling skills and to do something new and different on the Lego suspercars scene.

Edited by Zerobricks

That looks like an interesting project, I will follow it.
This front suspension setup looks quite interesting.

Are you going to build the whole thing in LDD/Stud.io? That may be a little bit difficult...

Anyway, good luck with the rest, I'll follow this.

2 hours ago, tomek9210 said:

Wishbone ball joints on the wheelhub and CV joint are not in line. That may cause problems.

I already did this before as long as you give it enough room there is no problem.

Just now, chlego said:

Are you going to build the whole thing in LDD/Stud.io? That may be a little bit difficult...

Anyway, good luck with the rest, I'll follow this.

Why would building it in LDD be difficult?

Plans is to do both, LDD and real.

Love all the digital renders and images..... and looks are promising.  I would love to see this suspension in a Lego UCS someday... but that will likely never happen.  I will follow this closely as well...

Looks quite interesting! The attempt to combine huge performance with serious complexity looks quite unique (Well, Sariel's Pagani Huayra was a little similar).

What color do you plan to build the physical car in? Are you actually building it in white with 911 RSR wheelcovers without the print, or will it use 911 GT3 RS wheelcovers in some color or other?

16 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Looks quite interesting! The attempt to combine huge performance with serious complexity looks quite unique (Well, Sariel's Pagani Huayra was a little similar).

What color do you plan to build the physical car in? Are you actually building it in white with 911 RSR wheelcovers without the print, or will it use 911 GT3 RS wheelcovers in some color or other?

In this case performance isn't really THAT huge, the modified 42115 had twice the power, but it should be still enough for fun driving.

The porsche's wheels are a perfect match so I see no sense in 3D printing any custom wheels. For the color white with 42096 covers in the back, not sure about the print for now.

Here's a small progress I made today, I approximately placed the gearbox , V6 engine and both BuWizz 3.0 bricks which will be used to power the model:

1280x603.jpg

Here's the roadmap for the structure and mechanics:

• Installation of the sequential gear shifter
  • Final positioning of the gearbox and connection of all the gears and shifting elements
  • Completion of the rear axle and suspension
  • Secondary support of central console and V6 engine
  • Assembly of the main support floor and sides (monocoque)
  • Roof support

Edited by Zerobricks

Today's progress:

BuWizz bricks were placed lover and right behind seats to lower the center of gravity and ease access for recharging and I started working on the main support board.

1280x603.jpg

I managed to reduce of the shifting mechanism compared to the one in Lambo and Chiron in order to fit it in the correct position. Also Ithe steering wheel has been redesigned.

1280x603.jpg

And finally the gearbox has mostly been properly connected and braced:

1280x603.jpg

1 hour ago, Woodstock pl said:

This looks promising! A quick question, with BuWizz 3.0 can you program control + motors to act as servo motors?

Of course, that was one of the points of the new BW, to have two-way communication with motors and sensors.

19 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Of course, that was one of the points of the new BW, to have two-way communication with motors and sensors.

Thanks, i may have to look into getting one some time. Just will need to get c+ motors. One last question, can you program the motors for servo steering with many rotations in each direction? Thanks:classic:

8 minutes ago, Woodstock pl said:

Thanks, i may have to look into getting one some time. Just will need to get c+ motors. One last question, can you program the motors for servo steering with many rotations in each direction? Thanks:classic:

Yes, that's what I wanted to so you can return to center systems who use more gearing, not just some 90 degrees (for example LA- based steering).  Also the user will be able to specify the the max. current the motors interpet as ending positions, trim, timeout for calibration failure, etc...

I suggest you ask any further BuWizz related question in the appropriate topic:

Edited by Zerobricks

6 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I suggest you ask any further BuWizz related question in the appropriate topic:

I've not found any buwizz 3.0 topics. So I should make one?

On 2/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Woodstock pl said:

This looks promising! A quick question, with BuWizz 3.0 can you program control + motors to act as servo motors?

I assume they (Buwizz team) have some difficulties with device components so they won't be able to start shipping the orders with Buwizz 3.0 till March at least.
And nobody knows exactly about it's features, imo :)

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

I assume they (Buwizz team) have some difficulties with device components so they won't be able to start shipping the orders with Buwizz 3.0 till March at least.
And nobody knows exactly about it's features, imo :)

Again, please talk about BuWizz in the appropriate topic. Thank you. @Jimcan you move the off-topic comments to the correct topic and delete this (mine) one?

On 2/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, Woodstock pl said:

I've not found any buwizz 3.0 topics. So I should make one?

You can use that topic. No need to make a new topic for 3.0.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:39 PM, Zerobricks said:

Again, please talk about BuWizz in the appropriate topic. Thank you. @Jimcan you move the off-topic comments to the correct topic and delete this (mine) one?

I will leave this comments here as a reminder that there is a separate BuWizz topic.

@Zerobricks Sorry for this - I was sure I'm writing in buwizz topic.

I have seen some video of this AMG Project ONE and have noticed it has complex rear wing, adjustable in several ways. Did you investigate how will you implement this? 

Here for example 

Edited by Aleh

32 minutes ago, Aleh said:

@Zerobricks Sorry for this - I was sure I'm writing in buwizz topic.

I have seen some video of this AMG Project ONE and have noticed it has complex rear wing, adjustable in several ways. Did you investigate how will you implement this? 

Here for example 

I can use two servo motors for the spoiler. Front fins will not be possible, the fenders are alrady paper-thin.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:04 AM, Jim said:

You can use that topic. No need to make a new topic for 3.0.

I will leave this comments here as a reminder that there is a separate BuWizz topic.

Thanks will do, still learning;)

21 hours ago, Woodstock pl said:

Thanks will do, still learning;)

No problem!