Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

Lol the supposed Clock Tower (Hospital Wing) looks nothing like the actuall building but rather generic random Hogwarts building which is exactly what I needed. I can connect it to my Hogwarts castle display and it wont destroy movie consistency as I can pretend it is other part of the castle. I dont know where I am gonna put the actuall clock but the lower part is definetely usable. Damn now I appretiate 2019 version even more for its movie accuracy :D ... .also the new minifigures wow I am so happy 

So why the heck are they using white for the window grills in the Hospital Wing instead of the normal black?  Guess I'll need to stock up on black ones to replace the ugly white.  Nice that they include the Boggart cabinet in the DADA book.

Haven’t been following HP Lego in awhile, any news on the summer 2022 wave? 

Upon closer inspection, it seems that Moody has a nougat torso instead of the dark tan one the CMF version had, which is more accurate I think :thumbup: If it has a Barty Crouch Jr face without the tongue sticking out, this might end up surpassing its precursor. Impressive *oh2*

15 minutes ago, Modal said:

Haven’t been following HP Lego in awhile, any news on the summer 2022 wave? 

Not yet :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

The Clock Tower/hospital wing is a little smaller than expected but I still like it. Not bad for $50.

Also, who are the two students in the DADA classroom? Hermione and Neville?

So that clears it, we're definitely not getting FB sets before Summer

31 minutes ago, BlueberryWaffles said:

Also, who are the two students in the DADA classroom? Hermione and Neville

Yes

Hopefully this Clock Tower is the end of this anniversary version of Hogwarts. Buying sets just for the figures is depressing. When you look back at the old clock tower you see how wonderfully designed it was to make it look like the movie version. This new one could be anything, they just stuck a clock on wall with windows. It's just such a bland version of Hogwarts. 

I think we are in a messy transition period for the Harry Potter line. Getting the two book sets and the trunk at the same time seems odd as they are all the same idea really. I'm all for new types of sets to give the theme a longer life but it seems like we got all the filler sets at the same time and not peppered through a solid wave. 

I'm really not sure what the thought process was at lego not to continue the old style and make Deathly Hallows sets, We know there is a demand for them here as its all we talked about for months. I think the summer wave this year will let us know where the theme is going, if we get more green roof Hogwarts we might be stuck with that ugly duck for 2023 as well. Hopefully we get something that puts a nail in that styles coffin and we move onto better designed sets again.

I do think we could get a UCS great Hall and courtyard eventually and that might have some battle of Hogwarts elements. It's the most iconic building and I think people would love the more detailed version. And Gringotts has to be made eventually, I still feel that lego may break the mould and not make it on a base plate like the rest of Diagon Alley so they can add extra play features. Let's see what the summer brings. 

The clock "tower" is sad. The base floor looks fine, but the clock part just looks awkward. Will probably get it anyway for the Minifigures and parts, and maybe carry some of the interior across into other buildings I have on display. I'm glad the new owl comes in this set as well.

1 hour ago, karrit said:

So why the heck are they using white for the window grills in the Hospital Wing instead of the normal black?  Guess I'll need to stock up on black ones to replace the ugly white.  Nice that they include the Boggart cabinet in the DADA book.

Different parts of the castle have different looks I guess. They have been doing brown frames with black grills, and this has tan frames with white grills. I think it integrates better actually - the brown and black really stood out in a bad way in the CoS set.

Where do you see the Boggart cabinet? I see a blackboard...

3 minutes ago, Micmac said:

This new one could be anything, they just stuck a clock on wall with windows. It's just such a bland version of Hogwarts. 

My thoughts exactly. It not only doesn't look like the movie version, but doesn't look like anything appealing in its own right either. An imaginative, good looking non-movie Hogwarts is possible, but this isn't it.

I'll be Bricklinking the interesting stuff (Pomfrey, stickers, accessories, things like that) whenever the prices get reasonable but skipping all of these sets. The current state of this theme is just depressing, calling it a "shell of it's former self" doesn't even begin to cover it.

12 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I'm not sure how people can honestly say that the 2019 Clock Tower is better than this one. I mean, this certainly has issues, but... y'all have seen the 2019 set, right?

The 2019 set perfectly represented the in-universe castle section within the confines of LEGO's system scale. This new version looks like someone took a wall and a tower from some random castle, slapped a clock on the front and called it a day. Take away the Harry Potter logo and minifigures and the average consumer wouldn't even be able to tell it's Hogwarts (nor can I).

46 minutes ago, lego_guyon02 said:

The 2019 set perfectly represented the in-universe castle section within the confines of LEGO's system scale. This new version looks like someone took a wall and a tower from some random castle, slapped a clock on the front and called it a day. Take away the Harry Potter logo and minifigures and the average consumer wouldn't even be able to tell it's Hogwarts (nor can I).

The 2019 set was proportionally broken, not nearly wide enough and so thin that it falls over if you blow on it. The only part that screams accuracy is the little triangular tower on the left side, the rest is incredibly bland.

Neither of these come close to the 2004 version, but if the choice is $90 for the 2019 set or $50 for this one, I'll buy this twice.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

57 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

I'm not sure how people can honestly say that the 2019 Clock Tower is better than this one. I mean, this certainly has issues, but... y'all have seen the 2019 set, right?

I don’t even know what to say to this. What a mind-boggling opinion

43 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

The 2019 set was proportionally broken, not nearly wide enough and so thin that it falls over if you blow on it. The only part that screams accuracy is the little triangular tower on the left side, the rest is incredibly bland.

Neither of these come close to the glorious 2004 version, but if the choice is $90 for the 2019 set or $50 for this one, I'll buy this twice.

It wasn’t wide enough but as far as I’m concerned that was the only really nitpick I had with it. This one is an ugly block with a clock. Talk about disproportionate. Zero accuracy. None. It looks disgusting. And doesn’t resemble anything to do with Hogwarts. I just can’t fathom your view on this…

It looks like the sides of the Clock Tower can bend in towards the middle section! If so that would be a really fantastic way to get a more dynamic silhouette out of this super flat modular system. Excited to see the interior, as that has been the definite highlight of the green roof Hogwarts.

Pomfrey looks literally perfect, and I'm also super excited for this Ron figure! DADA looks kinda bland and really similar to Transfiguration, but that Divination class looks by far the most unique and fun out of all 6

5 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I think it is, good catch! :thumbup:

I wonder where that promised bottle of Skele-Gro is, probably somewhere on the inside :purrr:

I think it's on the little cart beside Pomfrey. 

I find it a little worrisome that the Potions Moment set isn't in the picture. I wonder if that's getting cancelled sooner than expected? Along similar lines, someone upthread had mentioned Charms was getting a reprieve, but the German S@H site at least lists it as sold out, which usually means it isn't returning. 

I'm not the biggest fan of the 2021 modular box style, but I like the look of the Infirmary a lot more than most of the sets. While the lighter windows probably capture the Infirmary's feel better, I wish they'd be more consistent because that just helps make the exteriors look more of a hodge podge. 

Professor Trelawney has her Deathly Hallows outfit *oh2* . And Harry also has a new torso in the clock tower, as I believe you can see the stains on his light blue shirt. I also looove the idea of a printed round 1x1 time turner :wub:

Edited by hoiharry

1 hour ago, lego_guyon02 said:

I'll be Bricklinking the interesting stuff (Pomfrey, stickers, accessories, things like that) whenever the prices get reasonable but skipping all of these sets. The current state of this theme is just depressing, calling it a "shell of it's former self" doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'd call it a 8-stud deep shell of it's former self. I'm definitely mixed on my feelings. On one hand, to say the set is a "tower" is laughable and looks like it was designed BY children. I sometimes don't even think these "Anniversary" sets make good parts packs either since nearly all the sets feels like a 4+ set. Or if someone waited until the last minute boss's deadline to get it done. Fluffy set was the prime example of this.  I admit I had more fun building some of them than I expected but putting them all together they don't feel very stable. For the Hospital Wing, I had hoped it would look better based solely on the outside and be an actual tower with another layer than it has - HOWEVER I look forward to what the interior shows

14 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the 2021 modular box style, but I like the look of the Infirmary a lot more than most of the sets. While the lighter windows probably capture the Infirmary's feel better, I wish they'd be more consistent because that just helps make the exteriors look more of a hodge podge. 

I really think the Exterior of these sets are literally afterthoughts. It's ALL about the interior - their intentions are Vignette sets designed to show and recreate "scenes" of the movies. 

2 minutes ago, hoiharry said:

Professor Trelawney has her Deathly Hallows outfit *oh2* . And Harry also has a new torso in the clock tower, as I believe you can see the stains on his light blue shirt. I also looove the idea of a printed round 1x1 time turner :wub:

Figures as always seem OUTSTANDING. Easily my favorite part of these new sets and glad they don't seem to disappoint. 

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t even know what to say to this. What a mind-boggling opinion

Well, my options are to spend $50 on a mid Clocktower with figures I want or $90 on a mid Clocktower with crappy sidebuilds and figures I don't want. The choice is obvious.

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Different parts of the castle have different looks I guess. They have been doing brown frames with black grills, and this has tan frames with white grills. I think it integrates better actually - the brown and black really stood out in a bad way in the CoS set.

Where do you see the Boggart cabinet? I see a blackboard...

I think it would have looked better if they had used the gold tone ones if they didn't want to use the black.  Leaded windows aren't white so to me these just look awful.

I think you are right about the blackboard.  The fancy sides & base made me think Boggart Cabinet but wrong professor anyway.

13 minutes ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Well, my options are to spend $50 on a mid Clocktower with figures I want or $90 on a mid Clocktower with crappy sidebuilds and figures I don't want. The choice is obvious.

That's a fair subjective decision based on what you want personally, but not what you said before implying the 2019 objectively sucked somehow. Don't know how the old one was bland to you anyway, with its arches and three-stepped columns. Looking at it in my display now and it still looks like a thing of beauty. The new one isn't even a clocktower.

That said, the Dumbledore's office section of the 2019 one was pretty bad, especially the interior, and if Yule Ball isn't your interest then that's a lot of stuff to dislike about it too. The Clocktower itself though... There's just no comparison.

11 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

That's a fair subjective decision based on what you want personally, but not what you said before implying the 2019 objectively sucked somehow.

The difference for me is that all of my issues with the 2019 set are inherent issues that you'd have to completely redesign the set to fix, while my main issues with the new one can be fixed by adding one more layer underneath (modular system ftw) and swapping the arched doorways up top for tan 1x6x5 panels and a handful of bricks.

Somewhere between the two sets is a perfect Clocktower, but over the last 20 years the one thing LEGO's made clear is that they have little interest in going for perfection with Hogwsrts (the Astronomy Tower being the one exception), so it's more just a job of picking what you personally prefer: in my case, pretty sand green roofs and great scene-specific interiors.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

I think everyone is focusing way too much on the clock. This set is the hospital wing first and foremost. The clock is only included as a play feature to turn back time when Hermione uses the Time Turner (though it also looks like it can be used to recreate the scene where Harry stares through the glass). This is not meant to be a clocktower replacement. I mean it's literally one of the 6 buildable parts of this set, while 3 depict the infirmary and 2 the roof. And given the modular nature of the set you could just take the clock off and put it on the same level as the infirmary parts as in the movies it's depicted as being on the same level (visible down the hall when Dumbledore opens the doors even). So with one modification it's pretty much accurate to the films.

I get that ultimately, these new Hogwarts sets look incomplete or inaccurate on the exterior, but I think the design idea with the new sets is to focus on the interiors. Which in fairness, the interiors in many of the old sets were pretty much afterthoughts in comparison to the well designed exterior. So I'm okay with getting sets that more faithfully recreate the inside since we already have the outside.

3 hours ago, Retro Brick Reviews said:

Neither of these come close to the 2004 version, but if the choice is $90 for the 2019 set or $50 for this one, I'll buy this twice.

clockcomp

Each to their own but I'm sorry have you looked at the actual clock tower. You are off your tree if you think the new one is better which according to you only needs a whole extra floor to make it look right. If you want a perfectly accurate model you moc it yourself and this design by lego is as as accurate as you will ever get from them and it doesn't need a lot of altering to make it perfect in this scale.  I used a lot of the design from this when I built my large version. 

Obviously the $90 Clocktower is going to be better than the $50 version, but I still think for nearly half the price, it’s pretty solid and a cute build. Love Pomfrey and hopefully we get a nice skelli-grow mold. Still even haven’t seen the interiors yet which are the new line’s greatest strength. I just hope it’s not just the infirmary on the inside and we get something a bit more.

I can't fully judge the set until we get better pictures, but from what has been shown so far, I'll probably get the Hospital Wing when it goes on sale for $40 or less.  The build looks decent enough, and I expect the interior will be well detailed.  Out of the minifigures, Pomfrey is the clear standout, though I appreciate they included a broken leg Ron variant instead of going with a total repeat.

5 hours ago, strangely said:

I get that ultimately, these new Hogwarts sets look incomplete or inaccurate on the exterior, but I think the design idea with the new sets is to focus on the interiors. Which in fairness, the interiors in many of the old sets were pretty much afterthoughts in comparison to the well designed exterior. So I'm okay with getting sets that more faithfully recreate the inside since we already have the outside.

This new system may be intended to focus more on the inside of the castle but I don't see how anyone could look at these interiors and say with a straight face that these are actual improvements. The Bathroom sink looks disproportionate and the stall isn't well designed either, Fluffy and the Quidditch set both don't even really have an interior to praise/criticize and the Chamber of Secrets set may have the best interior of the '21 wave but at the end of the day it's still nothing more than a handfull of very simple builds and a large stickersheet. The interiors in the 2018-2020 Hogwarts sets often looked like an afterthought, I agree, but the 2021-now interiors really aren't any better or worse.