Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2021 - Rumors & Discussion

In the US are there any decent places people recommend looking for Lego below MSRP? I've seen a few HP sets for the standard 20% off at Target, Amazon, and Walmart, but infrequently. Where else should I be looking?

Also, been sorting through a second hand haul this afternoon with my four year old. Many friends sets, and a few City things, but also done of the old Potter line. Definitely feels like things have moved on a lot. So for the anniversary wave, I hope they don't go back too much in terms of prints especially.

And in other news, going through a haul of second hand stuff that's mostly friends with some old Potter thrown in, I found this combo, and realized that he wasn't evil, he just needed a good hairdo.

https://flic.kr/ps/3VWdWg

One of the sets that could be seen as disappointing is a remake of Hagrids  Hut in the 1/2 style. However if it happened it may allow for a new Norbert and the long awaited Fang mold!

Edited by doclord

Has anyone confirmed we're not getting another Hogwarts Moment book set? 76395 264 pcs at 29.99€ puts it at the same price range and similar piece count. Don't know what book or scene it could be though.

3 minutes ago, PotterBlocks said:

Has anyone confirmed we're not getting another Hogwarts Moment book set? 76395 264 pcs at 29.99€ puts it at the same price range and similar piece count. Don't know what book or scene it could be though.

I would think DADA with Lupin would be the most likely, including a boggart or at least the closet.

The issue with another Hogwarts moment set the the theming of the book. The books are themed around the four houses, there aren't any houses left. The books themselves are the main feature advertised on the front of the box so it is an important part of the set. The only thing I could see is a Hogwarts crest themed book, likely containing yet another Great Hall (every other year of this theme has had 2+ sets with great hall related things if you include Yule Ball related things). 

Honestly through if LEGO wants to make repetitive Hogwarts walls with interesting interior builds I would prefer the Girls Bathroom format over the book format. They're a fun novelty but most of the time all I see is just a book spine which isn't that exciting, and the opened displays take up a large amount of space and can look a bit messy. I'll take a tan square with an open interior any day. 

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I don't even know what retailers sell Lego near me. There's an Entertainer in town, no idea on their prices since I haven't been inside for about five years. Other than that it's all farm shops and gun shops that sell Lego on the side, at a mark up. Supermarkets sometimes have a deal, but you can't rely on them stocking a certain set. 

Don't get you hopes up about the Entertainer selling Harry Potter stuff, their owner says it promotes witchcraft and won't stock anything HP based. I have found the odd Star Wars bargain in thee, but not for years. 

Amazon in the UK has been having some stock issues I think due to us no longer being in the EU, so even though things are cheaper and free postage, lots of sets seem to be coming from mainland Europe and taking longer to arrive. 

John Lewis and Smyths (not WH Smiths) seem to be pretty good at matching online prices or doing deals every now and again. 

38 minutes ago, MaxHeadroom said:

The issue with another Hogwarts moment set the the theming of the book. The books are themed around the four houses, there aren't any houses left. The books themselves are the main feature advertised on the front of the box so it is an important part of the set. The only thing I could see is a Hogwarts crest themed book, likely containing yet another Great Hall (every other year of this theme has had 2+ sets with great hall related things if you include Yule Ball related things). 

Honestly through if LEGO wants to make repetitive Hogwarts walls with interesting interior builds I would prefer the Girls Bathroom format over the book format. They're a fun novelty but most of the time all I see is just a book spine which isn't that exciting, and the opened displays take up a large amount of space and can look a bit messy. I'll take a tan square with an open interior any day. 

I still haven't bought the books yet, and although for me they are sort of a waste of money as the whole book part isn't of much interest to me, I do think they look fantastic and would like to see more. Which is annoying for my budget :laugh:

I also really like the girls bathroom style, but my one hope in that style is no massive panel pieces! The 1x1x5 and 1x2x5 are okay, but the 1x6x5 can be so bland. 

5 hours ago, chris6507 said:

There's over 400km of Water between me and my nearest LEGO store! :iamded_lol:

I know the feeling. In my case, it takes at least 5 hours in any direction to get to the next LEGO store by train :tongue: I was so happy to hear about the new store opening in Stuttgart this year, only to realise it would still take me 5 hours to actually get there. My dream is to see a store opening in Switzerland one day, but I’m not holding my breath 

3 hours ago, doclord said:

One of the sets that could be seen as disappointing is a remake of Hagrids  Hut in the 1/2 style. However if it happened it may allow for a new Norbert and the long awaited Fang mold!

That would actually be pretty cool. Pretty bland in terms of minifigs I would imagine, but Fang would easily make up for that. Plus a golden Hagrid despite inquiring a ridiculous amount of recoloured pieces :snicker:

So I’ve been keeping an eye on the Clocktower and Privet Drive sets and have been wondering if they’re likely to go out of stock soon?

The Clocktower especially is coming up to have spent 2 years on shelves so I am concerned that even if Lego still stocks it other outlets like Amazon might not bother meaning now might be the optimum chance to get it on sale?

7 hours ago, chris6507 said:

I'm really hoping that Guyon and Falonfan are right about August being terrible

Oh, c'mon, they never said it was terrible. They just said to lower our expectations, because we were very excited about it with Gringotts and others

5 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Oh, c'mon, they never said it was terrible. They just said to lower our expectations, because we were very excited about it with Gringotts and others

It wasnt only about lower you expectation its was also that we will be shocked and suprised how bad it can be. Also they said if we didnt like june sets leaked pictures we wont like these either. I am so tired of knowing nothing more than their hints about these sets. I hope this week we finaly find out what august sets are. If I had any reliable source I would already share it here but I am not that lucky.

Edited by Textorix

Well, everyone has their own opinion. Someone may like it, someone may not. In this way I'm just waiting for them to draw my own conclusion, no matter what they say

23 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Well...

I like the June wave as well but the August wave? God no ~ @Guyon2002

20 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Sorry, my comment was more of a combination of what I'm hoping based on their statements. I'm kind of hoping that if they aren't good sets that they are downright terrible (in my eyes), so i'm not tempted to buy mediocre sets. :-) Which I have a habit of doing. Still regretting getting the Hogwarts Moments sets. Only thing I like about the whole lot is McGonagal.

But I 100% agree with you. I will make my own opinion when I see them, which I think we all will. But I would also be happy if I got to save money too! :laugh:

I already saved money on book sets and most likely I will save money on june wave as well. I usually dont buy every set if its trash or not enough detailed and accurate. I am mostly minifigure collector so in that case I just pick minifigs from BL. The only set from this year (so far) which I plan to buy is Hogsmeade so I would be really happy if at least something from august wave was decent overall.

Edited by Textorix

1 hour ago, Legofania said:

Guyon did say 'You'd be surprised [how bad it can get]' which seemed to suggest something pretty bad. :sceptic:

6 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Hope i'm allowed to share this. It's not genuine LEGO, but gives a good idea of what a potential Gringotts could look like!

https://downtheblocks.blogspot.com/2021/03/mork-032101-harry-potterwizarding-world.html

Might be the first time Lego ends up ripping off Lepin. :laugh:

Edited by BacktoBricks

9 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

Hope i'm allowed to share this. It's not genuine LEGO, but gives a good idea of what a potential Gringotts could look like!

https://downtheblocks.blogspot.com/2021/03/mork-032101-harry-potterwizarding-world.html

It looks fantastic, but with this piece count it'd cost around $400, which is basically Diagon Alley's price. 

14 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

I think Lego version would be much smaller and would have only 2 floors not 3. If Lego makes Grindotts it will have like 1500-2000 pcs. That would fit for august set with 1670 pieces if it didnt cost only 129.99€ lol

Edited by Textorix

13 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

I would like to think that Lego could do a better job than that. It seems there's too much emphasis on the outside (most of which we never see, and the bit we do see doesn't seem quite right to me) and not enough emphasis on the lovely marble flooring and other goodies inside. I think I would prefer a Gringotts interior with the front door and columns rather than a full exterior with nothing inside. 

Yeah we dont need full building but just front part like with other buildings sets in this theme. Lego is also about being minimalistic in their builds and that is often difference between moc and official set.

29 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Guyon did say 'You'd be surprised [how bad it can get]' which seemed to suggest something pretty bad. :sceptic:

Yes, you're the third one who said this. Well, he saw only prototypes. Final sets are mostly better than prototypes.

7 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Yes, you're the third one who said this. Well, he saw only prototypes. Final sets are mostly better than prototypes.

Apart from the minifigures the preliminary pictures are pretty much how the builds end up. But I don't know if he has seen the pictures for the August wave - from what I can gather I think he's working off someone's descriptions which suggests it's just what the sets are that he finds bad, not how they have been executed

Edited by BacktoBricks

15 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Not in terms of builds.

The pictures we've seen for June wave - the only thing that will differ (apart from maybe small changes in builds) are minifigures and printings (Basilisk for example).

Just take two smaller sets from Ninjago - the builds look exactly the same, only minfigures are much better and different.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

17 minutes ago, Legofania said:

Nah final sets will be same in build like prototypes. The only thing which will change are prints and minifigures so if he thinks its bad then it likely is.

10 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

But I don't know if he has seen the pictures for the August wave - from what I can gather I think he's working off someone's descriptions which suggests it's just what the sets are that he finds bad, not how they have been executed

I hope he didnt see pictures which could mean that these sets still could be amazing and he just didnt like final selection.

Edited by Textorix

2 minutes ago, Textorix said:

Nah final sets will be same in build like prototypes. The only thing which will change are prints and minifigures so if he thinks its bad then it likely is.

Unless he's only heard descriptions, which is even worse.

Then the choices itself for sets would suck, in which case for most people the quality wouldn't even matter as they wouldn't be buying those sets.