Paperinik77pk

[MOC] 4,5v Maintenance diesel railcar in Gray Era style

Hi all!

I want to show you one thing I started drawing  in MLCAD years ago, but was finished recently in STUD.IO .

It's a diesel maintenance railcar based on TM2/2 83 from Rhatische Bahn (which is a narrow metric gauge, actually). I saw it at Tirano station when I travelled for the first time on the Bernina Bahn.:wub_drool:

Here it is represented as a normal gauge vehicle, since these kind of tractors can easily be adapted to various gauges. It is powered by a 4,5v motor, mounted under the cabin and moving the front wheels. wheelbase is the same as standard 4,5v/12v two axles wagons. Design is based on Gray Era style "phase II" , as you can tell from yellow doors, all white headlights and parts used for the little hydraulic arm (hinges/levers).

7777-TM22-83_3

As you can see I did not feel right to put the buffers on it, even if it can be not correct from a "reality" point of view. :tongue:

Here's another shot...

7777-TM22-83_2

...and another one with the little hydraulic arm at work.

7777-TM22-83

No power from rails this time, but a normal red battery box wagon will easily do the job!:laugh:

Hope you like it!!!

Ciao!

Davide

I think the top could be covered with some studs, but otherwise stunning build!

I love all of your models-from-another-era, and this one just looks a fantastic addition to your expansive fleet. I think it just needs some tools for the workers to use!

17 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

I think it just needs some tools for the workers to use!

And a beverage of choice for the operator to use

On 12/4/2020 at 10:48 PM, JintaiZ said:

I think the top could be covered with some studs, but otherwise stunning build!

On 12/4/2020 at 10:54 PM, ColletArrow said:

I love all of your models-from-another-era, and this one just looks a fantastic addition to your expansive fleet. I think it just needs some tools for the workers to use!

On 12/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, zephyr1934 said:

And a beverage of choice for the operator to use

Thanks to all - I tried to collect all suggestions!!!

7777-TM22-83 4

Drinking all the coffee was not a good idea!!! :laugh:

XD I love the people/scene! And that railcar looks very era-appropriate. Can you post some pictures of the power mechanism and the motor location? I'm unclear as to where that is.

4 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

XD I love the people/scene! And that railcar looks very era-appropriate. Can you post some pictures of the power mechanism and the motor location? I'm unclear as to where that is.

Ehehe thank you!!! :thumbup:

Here is the 4,5v motor! As ou can see it powers only the front wheels. A larger wheelbase is sometimes needed to make something different from the classic 4,5v models of the past.

7777-TM22-83 5

Even if it's only 2WD, on a light thing like this one it is not a problem. I already tried this solution for another (never built) locomotive , but in that case I put the weight brick immediately over the powered wheels to increase traction.

Lego DB E69_005

If you need other info feel free to PM me without any problem!

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Excellent MOC, Davide! This extended wheelbase is nice-looking and gives a unusual look to this railcar. Such vehicles were (and are still !) missing in Lego's assortment, but the brick palette available in the 1980's is so universal that is was easy for a kid to have a great variety of models based on what he could see outside.

Are you planning building this one in bricks?

9 hours ago, Evans said:

Excellent MOC, Davide! This extended wheelbase is nice-looking and gives a unusual look to this railcar. Such vehicles were (and are still !) missing in Lego's assortment, but the brick palette available in the 1980's is so universal that is was easy for a kid to have a great variety of models based on what he could see outside.

Are you planning building this one in bricks?

Thanks Evans!

I had a mockup of this sitting around for a lot of time. But it was created before the design in Stud.io - which always helps me to refine the idea and to "write it down" for future use or reference.

I've never completed it, though. Normally I collect all designs and from time to time I recall them - and in some cases I build them (like the BR98 Glaskasten). It's all a matter of mood, parts available and nostalgia :laugh:.

You're right - there are too few machines of this kind!

Currently I'm building another 12v service vehicle, which is depicted in 7777 book and it's based on 7760. Sincerely I did not take it too much into consideration in the past. I thought it was a freelance model, but it reminds me an old LGB model (even if it has only two axles and it's meant as a narrow gauge vehicle). I only need a 12v black motor to finish it :)

004.jpg

21330.jpg

This one is a nice idea also for my XXL models! :wub:

17 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Here is the 4,5v motor! As ou can see it powers only the front wheels. A larger wheelbase is sometimes needed to make something different from the classic 4,5v models of the past.

Oh cool! Very nice clean integration. And I like the other service car- I ordered some of the parts for a 7760 for the holidays so I may try to do this too. Not the windows or weights, though, as those are expensive. So I'm going to sub those pieces, and also I don't have any stickers so I'm making the cabin mostly black because I bought 2 7722 doors with stickers.

From good to better Davide! :thumbup:

I really like the style of this multifunctional mini convoy. :wub:

As always, the background and minifigures are of the top quality

Maybe it will be a little off topic but I have seen on other pictures that you have built an apecar (4 studs wide) ... beautiful!