Paperinik77pk

[MOC/MOD/BOTH?] Little windup locomotives in "Basic" style

Hi all,

I made these some years ago in Ldraw, but I redesigned them in stud.io the last weekend, to make a decent render.

Lego Basic - Three windup small locomotives

I used to build these simple things when I was little - mainly using 4,5v motors and parts form my sets (7710/7720/7810).

The central one is clearly a rip-off of the little locomotive on 7777 book - It is a bit simplified to be lighter and gets some details from 7710 and 7810.  The Blue one has a bit more British livery, but it is a slightly modded 7710. The Yellow diesel is a very generic work locomotive.

Well, the house is directly taken to 544 set. It was common for me to have it around at the time  - since I could easily build it when needed.

All are powered with the 890 modded-with-train-wheels windup motor, normally depicted as "add-on" to the basic sets.

Lego Basic - Windup Fireless Loco (and 4.5v variant)

Mixing the diesel with the steam locomotives, It is possible to have also a fireless locomotive, in my opinion perfectly matching to the limited range of the windup motor! :laugh_hard:

I represented also the 4,5v version, just to show another possible use of the yellow motor.

As the 7777 little locomotive - all of these small things are a little lower than the normal lego locomotives, making them a nice "connection" between the blue era and early gray era styles. Many parts are derived from old sets, since I inherited a lot of 70s  Lego from my older cousin - and I always re-used them in my builds :laugh:

Ciao!

Davide

Really nice. Those were great days weren't they! LEGO never advertised the wind-up motor for trains did they? And yet it would have been a great in between for push-along trains like 7710.

21 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Lego Basic - Three windup small locomotives

I love those old "Legoland" bricks. More great work tugging on the nostalgia

19 hours ago, JopieK said:

LEGO never advertised the wind-up motor for trains did they?

I believe the normal (non-train) wheels were "permanently" fixed on the motors. I never had one but I think Paperinik77pk said in another post that it was an easy MOD.

19 hours ago, JopieK said:

Really nice. Those were great days weren't they! LEGO never advertised the wind-up motor for trains did they? And yet it would have been a great in between for push-along trains like 7710.

Thanks! I got the idea of modding the 890 for trains from another member of Eurobricks  (I've to find the his name - it's a very old post) - but it was so good I began to use it quite often!

8 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

I love those old "Legoland" bricks. More great work tugging on the nostalgia

I believe the normal (non-train) wheels were "permanently" fixed on the motors. I never had one but I think Paperinik77pk said in another post that it was an easy MOD. 

Thanks - it must be the period - I'm prone to work with old things!

The Mod is really easy and completely reversible - the wheels of the 890 can be pulled away (gently) and will reveal a metal axle. The metal axle has the same diameter of the 4.5v train wheels used in old trains. The metal pin of train wheels can be pulled away with a pair of pliers. Then the train wheels can be inserted on the metal axle of the 890...and work is done :wink:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

"Hey lady, there are two more to wind-up!!!" - she seems not so happy!

7777 small steam loco 2

These two above are "poor man's" 7710 and 7810 copies, lowered and simplified. I used to have a fake 7710 in the past, running on a yellow 4,5v motor - I used it as a shunter :classic:

But the real fun is to build smaller things for immediate action...here we have a copy of the 722 12v locomotive, a generic industrial diesel tractor, a yellow 7ton diesel, a small 7720-inspired "Edelweiss" electric locomotive,a steam tram...and a little "ESSO" Locomotive which was depicted in 242 Idea Book - here made smaller, but with its fake battery box still present.

7777 Small Loco Windup

Another shot from a different angle:

7777 Small Loco Windup_2

I hope you like these!

In the meantime I found the name of the original post for modding the 890:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 11/27/2020 at 9:11 PM, JopieK said:

Those were great days weren't they!

Oh yes, they were.

@Paperinik77pk: It is stunning, what you are accomplishing. This 4.5 and 12V area always takes me back to the "idea" of LEGO. Which is for me: Building with limited shapes - unlimited imagination. Your trains (all of them) look like trains - LEGO trains, of the time. Very nice in appearance - AND in the abstraction you induce in my head.

For me, there are two worlds: The "Bauhaus style" (don't take me seriously but honestly) - live with what is available, maybe clean and orthogonal (well, this is what bricks then were) and induce imagination. And then the "Real-world style" - using all the ever evolving bits and pieces to get as close as possible to the original. And then of course: Everything in between.

But with your 12V models it is always: Yes. This is LEGO (for me).

Thank you very, very much for this wonderful experience!

All the best,
Thorsten 

22 hours ago, Toastie said:

Oh yes, they were.

@Paperinik77pk: It is stunning, what you are accomplishing. This 4.5 and 12V area always takes me back to the "idea" of LEGO. Which is for me: Building with limited shapes - unlimited imagination. Your trains (all of them) look like trains - LEGO trains, of the time. Very nice in appearance - AND in the abstraction you induce in my head.

For me, there are two worlds: The "Bauhaus style" (don't take me seriously but honestly) - live with what is available, maybe clean and orthogonal (well, this is what bricks then were) and induce imagination. And then the "Real-world style" - using all the ever evolving bits and pieces to get as close as possible to the original. And then of course: Everything in between.

But with your 12V models it is always: Yes. This is LEGO (for me).

Thank you very, very much for this wonderful experience!

All the best,
Thorsten 

Thank you very much for your kind words, Thorsten!

I am surely belonging to the "Bauhaus style" :classic:.

I like clean lines and simple builds, even if I love to find complex details and many many ways to reproduce a shape (especially curved ones). But you know, I'm son of the late 70s - so basically I reason like a Commodore 64 or a Spectrum 48k... in 8 bits! So I've a quite pixelated idea of reality  :wink:.

Basically I would love to have again a  train system like 12v and 4,5v...and I add the old Technic sets. They were great toys and gave immediate joy to me. And still do!

What I'm trying to achieve is to give that same feeling of toy and the pleasure to have it or to have built it - even if it is not a great creation or if it is not complex. And I'm happy to have found some people getting this particular feeling. I know it won't fit everyone's taste, especially on younger people...but it's ok!

Thanks, thanks ,thanks again!:wub:

Davide