Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

8 hours ago, Kaanere said:

It's not like the real one has an uniform colour either.

Fair enough, but this was not an aesthetic/design choice - it was a quality control problem!

I'm still on the fence about Himeji - I was really looking forward to it as Asian themes are my favourite.

However I've seen it on display at a couple of Lego stores and I can't say I'm that impressed - It's very small compared to some other builds for the price and just looks disappointing all round

I'm sure that it'll be on sale before long as it's so niche and I'll pick it up then but ...

I so wanted to love it.

Edited by BrickSP

Ok so what building / place on yoru wishlist?

For me, I would like to see a new model for Seattle’s Space Needle, London’s Elizabeth Tower, Japan’s Edo Castle, New York Ci’s Time Square (similiar to London’s Trafford).

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

For me, I would like to see a new model for Seattle’s Space Needle, London’s Elizabeth Tower, Japan’s Edo Castle, New York Ci’s Time Square (similiar to London’s Trafford).

No way they're gonna make a competing set. They've already released two 'Japanese' sets one after another.

Perhaps they could consider the Grand Palace in Bangkok, or the Forbidden City in Beijing.

8 hours ago, Lion King said:

Don’t mean to be that guy but they’ve done “Big Ben” several times, just released the gorgeous Himeji Castle, and Times Square has literally zero architectural merit or interest, unlike Trafalgar Square.

Personally, I’d like to see some ancient sites like Angkor Wat or Macchu Pichu, or Stonehenge.

Would have to be detailed “expert” sets not like GWOC approximations.

10 hours ago, hikouki said:

No way they're gonna make a competing set. They've already released two 'Japanese' sets one after another.

Perhaps they could consider the Grand Palace in Bangkok, or the Forbidden City in Beijing.

I half agree and half disagree. I agree that there should be more Asian historic sites. I disagree there are so MANY American sets one after another in this line in the past.

I agree that there are ery  few Asian see (Singapore Skyline, Tokyo Skyline, Himeji Castle, Great Wall of China, etc). Sure, I suggested Space Needle and it’s an American site. But we haven’t seen it for, like, a decade. Sure, I suggested Time Square becuase it would be interesting to see many colorful pieces to mimic electric billboards. But i think Grand Palace sounds amazing! Maybe not that soon.

Grand Palace sounds very interesting to me, by the way.

7 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Don’t mean to be that guy but they’ve done “Big Ben” several times, just released the gorgeous Himeji Castle, and Times Square has literally zero architectural merit or interest, unlike Trafalgar Square.

Personally, I’d like to see some ancient sites like Angkor Wat or Macchu Pichu, or Stonehenge.

Would have to be detailed “expert” sets not like GWOC approximations.

Yet, you meant to be THAt guy…

And they have done Empire State Buidling several times… I don’t see an issue with Elizabeth Tower. 

We have Trafford Square and that Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo Skyline. I just think Time Square set would be cool, bunch of colorful color.

Uhhh, I never heard of these first two Anicent sites (I will look up later) but I feel Stonehenge is too simple  i don’t think it screams “architecture”  to me, IMO. 

Edited by Lion King

51 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Yet, you meant to be THAt guy…

And they have done Empire State Buidling several times… I don’t see an issue with Elizabeth Tower. 

We have Trafford Square and that Shiubya in Tokyo Skyline. I just think Time Square set would be cool, bunch of colorful color.

Uhhh, I never heard of these first two Anicent sites (I will look up later) but I feel Stonehenge is too simple  i don’t think it screams “architecture”  to me, IMO. 

Within this theme, there is a sense (finally) after a period of stagnation, of really expanding into new territory and going beyond the typical “tourist sights”. 

Yes TLG have done reissues lately, such as Taj and the Eiffel Tower, but both of those were after a significant period of time had elapsed and offered something at a different scale (smaller and much larger respectively). I’m not sure where they could go after 10253 that would offer anything new.

Trafalgar Square (I wasn’t that guy when correcting “Trafford”, but twice? not sure where you get that from unless you’re a casual Manchester United follower from the US?) has architectural, historical and cultural merits that Times Square, well it’s just not even a conversation. It didn’t even make the NYC Skyline (and why would it?) yet Shibuya crossing (your other example) did, albeit in the form of 4 1x1 tiles, which kind of sums up where Times Square would feature in any LEGO model.

As for Stonehenge, maybe we’re blurring the lines about Architecture and 18+ themes, I do accept it may not have enough detail but then you see a directly analogous subject like the Great Pyramid, which nailed what could have been a disappointing simplistic set. As for “screaming architecture” though, I have to take issue with that as it’s generally regarded as the most architecturally sophisticated (of its time) and historically important structure, and consequently an iconic world famous site. I’m certain TLG could do it justice. Leaving out a recreation of the main traffic-jammed road that runs right alongside it might help 😆

Edited by Lucarex

56 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Trafalgar Square (I wasn’t that guy when correcting “Trafford”, but twice? not sure where you get that from unless you’re a casual Manchester United follower from the US?) has architectural, historical and cultural merits that Times Square, well it’s just not even a conversation. It didn’t even make the NYC Skyline (and why would it?) yet Shibuya crossing (your other example) did, albeit in the form of 4 1x1 tiles, which kind of sums up where Times Square would feature in any LEGO model.

1.) Thanks for correcting me. I got myself confsued with Old Trafford and Trafford Square and I could not rmemeber which that square is called so I referred it a Trafford incortly. And no, I don’t care about football stadium. 

2.) Maybe becuase one buidling that is tringular in Time Square that it may be challenging for NYC Skyline while it already has Flatiron Buidling (a triangular building). That skyline scale is very small for Time Square. I think a non-Skyline standalone set for Time Square would be great just like Trafford Square model. 

I still feel Archiecture focuses around tourist attractions. I don’t see anything going into a new terrority myself. 

Edited by Lion King

Having been to and through Times Square several times, I have to say please dear TLG NO...Times Square is the most boring touristy place in NYC.  My wishes...Taipei 101, the Arch in St Louis, Angkor Wat is a great one, can we get an onion dome church from Russia?  the Shard, Chicago's Loop Office Tower or Marina Apartments, Petronas Towers...there are lots of FLW too and I really don't think they are truly tied to Atom, but I could be wrong.  Getting one set only in 2023 sucks.

I would love to see a return of FLW, but I feel like ATR would need to come back for that. 
I’d much prefer ancient / old world architecture to modern stuff, but I’ll take anything that expands the line and isn’t touristy crap.

39 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

I would love to see a return of FLW, but I feel like ATR would need to come back for that. 
I’d much prefer ancient / old world architecture to modern stuff, but I’ll take anything that expands the line and isn’t touristy crap.

Never happening. ART with Atom Brick has a partnership with the FLW foundation.

Speaking of which, they have just announced FallingWater for October release (preorders now). It looks decent (apart from the trees) with interior floors but it’s very pricey at 349.99 USD .

On 9/20/2023 at 3:49 PM, Herky said:

Having been to and through Times Square several times, I have to say please dear TLG NO...Times Square is the most boring touristy place in NYC.  My wishes...Taipei 101, the Arch in St Louis, Angkor Wat is a great one, can we get an onion dome church from Russia?  the Shard, Chicago's Loop Office Tower or Marina Apartments, Petronas Towers...there are lots of FLW too and I really don't think they are truly tied to Atom, but I could be wrong.  Getting one set only in 2023 sucks.

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is near on impossible to be done right. I know of only three MOC models of it: One about ~20 bricks high from 2005-ish, one that is 1:200 scale that requires a permanent support structure modeled after the one used when the real arch was built, and one in the St. Louis Science Center that required cutting, glue, and not-fully-attached bricks. The first one was made by a Gateway LUG member and is very, very tiny, the second is another GTWLUG members' personal MOC, and the third was made by Adam Reed Tucker.

If you want an official kit to be accurate - forget it. If you want it to be big - don't ask. and if you want it to be stable...  you get the gist!

Personally, a huge train station building might be cool. NYC's Grand Central Terminal, (or the old NYC Pennsylvania Station, long since demolished but still beloved by many) or some other well recognized landmark station such as LA Union Passenger Terminal, one of Chicago's many depot's, St Louis Union Station in it's heyday might do.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:32 PM, Lucarex said:

Never happening. ART with Atom Brick has a partnership with the FLW foundation.

Speaking of which, they have just announced FallingWater for October release (preorders now). It looks decent (apart from the trees) with interior floors but it’s very pricey at 349.99 USD .

Meh it looks boring to me. 

On 9/20/2023 at 4:49 PM, Herky said:

It’s becuase you visited Times Square that often, which it’s incredibly boring to you…

Eh, Gateway Arch is pretty impossible to make if it requires stablility. I guess it will not be impossible if it’s a BIG and stble set. 

I’m okay with getting one set in 2023. :) 

On 9/26/2023 at 2:51 PM, Murdoch17 said:

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is near on impossible to be done right. I know of only three MOC models of it: One about ~20 bricks high from 2005-ish, one that is 1:200 scale that requires a permanent support structure modeled after the one used when the real arch was built, and one in the St. Louis Science Center that required cutting, glue, and not-fully-attached bricks. The first one was made by a Gateway LUG member and is very, very tiny, the second is another GTWLUG members' personal MOC, and the third was made by Adam Reed Tucker.

If you want an official kit to be accurate - forget it. If you want it to be big - don't ask. and if you want it to be stable...  you get the gist!

Personally, a huge train station building might be cool. NYC's Grand Central Terminal, (or the old NYC Pennsylvania Station, long since demolished but still beloved by many) or some other well recognized landmark station such as LA Union Passenger Terminal, one of Chicago's many depot's, St Louis Union Station in it's heyday might do.

You must live in the Lou like me...South County...and then I looked at your post again and read that you do.  So do you pop into the Minifig store?  Always fun to see what they have in Kirkwood.  DId not know there was a LUG here.  I have slowed down a lot on my collecting due to space to display issues.  I know the Arch will be hard to do, but one can hope.  I would settle for a mini set that somewhat resembles it.  Train stations work for me, one that might be fun to see is also the Hall of Justice building in Cincinnati I think is where it is...I know it's not called Hall of Justice but do not recall the actual name.  KC's Union Station isn't bad.

Edited by Herky

On 9/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, Lion King said:

Meh it looks boring to me. 

It’s becuase you visited Times Square that often, which it’s incredibly boring to you…

Eh, Gateway Arch is pretty impossible to make if it requires stablility. I guess it will not be impossible if it’s a BIG and stble set. 

I’m okay with getting one set in 2023. :) 

well I only visited it once, but that was enough, usually just pass through it...it looks nothing like it did originally and it's incredibly smaller than I thought it would be.

1 minute ago, Murdoch17 said:

Yep! I'm in St. Charles county. Are you a member of Gateway LUG?

I edited my reply...see above.  Had no idea we had a LUG here.  

4 minutes ago, Herky said:

well I only visited it once, but that was enough, usually just pass through it...it looks nothing like it did originally and it's incredibly smaller than I thought it would be.

I edited my reply...see above.  Had no idea we had a LUG here.  

Well, come join us at our next meeting in November! See the link in my previous post for the schedule if you are interested.

Oh, and yes I do visit the Minifig shop in Kirkwood as much as possible. They have such awesome stuff - I get my train wheels from them.

Edited by Murdoch17

With the introduction of a new reddish orange color that's been spotted in some of next year's Friends and Monkie Kid sets, a part of me wonders if we might see a big Icons/Architecture set of the Golden Gate Bridge. Previous reds and oranges have been a poor match for the distinct "international orange" paint used for the bridge, but this new reddish orange seems like it might hit the sweet spot between Bright Red and Bright Orange that Lego's been lacking up until now.

On 11/8/2023 at 8:33 PM, Lyichir said:

this new reddish orange seems like it might hit the sweet spot between Bright Red and Bright Orange that Lego's been lacking up until now.

That was my first thought when I saw the new color too! I remember reading about a special red-orange color that was only available for LEGOLAND model builders because they needed it specifically for the Golden Gate Bridge model in Miniland. I think a model in the Icons range, similar in scale to Tower Bridge, would be the best option.

Could they possibly release another City Skyline? 

On 11/8/2023 at 5:33 PM, Lyichir said:

With the introduction of a new reddish orange color that's been spotted in some of next year's Friends and Monkie Kid sets, a part of me wonders if we might see a big Icons/Architecture set of the Golden Gate Bridge. Previous reds and oranges have been a poor match for the distinct "international orange" paint used for the bridge, but this new reddish orange seems like it might hit the sweet spot between Bright Red and Bright Orange that Lego's been lacking up until now.

Which piece is that?

10 hours ago, hikouki said:

Which piece is that?

I think they are talking bout that color from Monkie Kid’s new megapolis set. 

11 hours ago, hikouki said:

Which piece is that?

It's used for the pagoda roof in 80054:

80054_alt7.jpg

You can also see it used in one of the new Friends sets—it's in the stripes on the upper walls between red and orange parts which makes for a great point of comparison with existing colors: https://brickset.com/sets/42639-1/{Mansion}

Well, it is December 12 and no rumors and no confirmations of anything new for 2024 in Architecture. Used to be we would get 2 skylines on January 1, now we get nothing.  One large set in Himeji was all in 2023.  Hey Lego, did you forget about us?

1 hour ago, Herky said:

Well, it is December 12 and no rumors and no confirmations of anything new for 2024 in Architecture. Used to be we would get 2 skylines on January 1, now we get nothing.  One large set in Himeji was all in 2023.  Hey Lego, did you forget about us?

They’re busy making postcards?

On 12/12/2023 at 2:34 PM, hikouki said:

They’re busy making postcards?

Maybe I missed it, there is a new postcard?