Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

23 hours ago, Kaanere said:

Actually 2011's 21010: Robie House is bigger in both piece count and price - so this isn't breaking any records!

Well, yes.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, Calvinw said:

I'm also not a fan of this.  I'd really like a smaller type set again.  I enjoy the bigger models as well, but not everything needs to have a massive set for this line.  Space is also a factor in the real world.

This really grinds my gears. How can you "not be a fan of this" before we've even seen images? Because it's "massive" (you can only assume from piece count only) and more expensive than the boring and ubiquitous "Skylines"?

This line is called "Architecture" for a reason not "Tourist Attractions" as it's sadly become over the last few years, and this is the first example of a return to those golden days when the theme put out some really great sets under Adam Reed Tucker. Many of us thought those days were long over. 

8 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

This really grinds my gears. How can you "not be a fan of this" before we've even seen images? Because it's "massive" (you can only assume from piece count only) and more expensive than the boring and ubiquitous "Skylines"?

This line is called "Architecture" for a reason not "Tourist Attractions" as it's sadly become over the last few years, and this is the first example of a return to those golden days when the theme put out some really great sets under Adam Reed Tucker. Many of us thought those days were long over. 

I'm sorry?  First off, read my post on January 1st when this discussion came up.  My opinion about the larger architecture sets is pretty damn clear.  I like them, but miss the smaller sized sets.  I'd like to see a mixture of both.  We've had plenty of them in the past, and it just seems like Lego has moved on from them for whatever reason.  

Not once did I mention anything about Skylines so I'm also not sure where you're getting that from.  

The Architecture line is one of my favorite in Lego.  I've purchased literally every set with the exception of some of the extremely rare and harder to get models that were given to employees.  And yes, that includes all the larger models of old and recent.  

You were way off with your comment when it comes to me.  I'm not some casual fan of the line that doesn't support or know anything about it.  Next time, try asking for clarification before assuming. 

17 hours ago, Lucarex said:

So Himeji Castle is a step away from tourist attractions? I'm not quite following. Also, those glorious Adam Reed Tucker sets weren't 2000 piece 1m³ behemoths either (yes, except for Robie House).

It does seem like Lego has decided the options are either skyline, or ~2000 piece larger sets.  Trafalger square was the last mid-sized set way back in 2017. Shame really but it does seem like Lego’s philosophy is becoming bigger is better. 

On 3/14/2023 at 6:04 PM, Rauy said:

So Himeji Castle is a step away from tourist attractions? I'm not quite following. Also, those glorious Adam Reed Tucker sets weren't 2000 piece 1m³ behemoths either (yes, except for Robie House).

Couldn't agree with you more.  As I stated before, I do like the bigger sets as well, but I just want more balance in the sizes we get.  

10 hours ago, KevinMD said:

It does seem like Lego has decided the options are either skyline, or ~2000 piece larger sets.  Trafalger square was the last mid-sized set way back in 2017. Shame really but it does seem like Lego’s philosophy is becoming bigger is better. 

Great points and unfortunately true.  Being a huge fan of the line, I'll take what I can get, but I'd really enjoy more mid sized sets that aren't skylines.

I think what is missing now is 21059.  Interesting that we get the Castle set before they announce the 21059 set.  Of course this is not the first time they have skipped numbers in the theme, several sets that were going to be released never were.  

I'm looking forward to the Himeji Castle - anything new in this line is a welcome change

But beyond that, it would be nice to see this line get back to some of its roots, when it focused on buildings that weren't nearly the tourist attractions that recent sets have been.  And if interesting locations are chosen, the variety in set size should return.  I want sets like the Robie House, but I also want the Farnsworth House.  Very different sizes and pricepoints, but equally interesting sets IMO.  

Instead of this Houses of the World promo line they're running this year, it would be interesting to see Lego put out one single Architecture set annually that is a house in some distinct architectural style.  Maybe give some latitude in the piece count (I'm thinking 700 -1000 pieces) - enough to fully develop the architectural style and include some nice details, while not being the size of the annual modular set.  It'll probably never happen, but it would really get at what the Architecture line could/should be.  I know I would support something like that.

4 hours ago, Arstotle said:

But beyond that, it would be nice to see this line get back to some of its roots, when it focused on buildings that weren't nearly the tourist attractions that recent sets have been.  And if interesting locations are chosen, the variety in set size should return.  I want sets like the Robie House, but I also want the Farnsworth House 

I’m afraid that ship has long sailed when ART left the company in 2019.

Himeji Castle? If that’s true, then….YES!!!! I just want an Architecture set that revolts around Japanese site, rather than Skyline set (I do have Tokyo Skyilne set). Plus, I’m a huge fan of Japanese culture (art, food, history, archeicture, etc) so this would be great for me to add it to my home.  

New Icons set - Tranquil Garden - is revealed today. Boy, it has a great combo of Archiecture and Botantical Collection! Anyways, Himeji Castle set should be not that far from offical reveal hopefully between now and July 1 so it will be revealed. 

So… this thread doesn’t recieve much attention after Himeji Castle being revealed officially.

what. Is your thought on this beautiful castle? Are you planning to buy it?

For me, I will buy it! This set is jsut gorgeous, I love how detailed it is!

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

So… this thread doesn’t recieve much attention after Himeji Castle being revealed officially.

100% buy for me.  Looks amazing.   I really believe the days are the smaller Architecture sets are done though.   I really miss those.

4 hours ago, Lion King said:

Thing is this theme flys under the radar as it is, and at this time of year there’s also so much other eye candy distracting attention.

Which is fair enough, I even cracked and bought PAC-Man without a seconds’ hesitation, but Himeji is another level, like the Great Pyramid, so it’ll be ordered at midnight on the 1st and built within a couple of days of arrival (holiday permitting).

Gorgeous set and I’ll not listen to any nit-picking.

3 hours ago, Calvinw said:

100% buy for me.  Looks amazing.   I really believe the days are the smaller Architecture sets are done though.   I really miss those.

Agreed. I like thee big Archiecture sets becuase they are detailed so much than early 2010s. But they get expensive tho. 

2 minutes ago, Lion King said:

Agreed. I like thee big Archiecture sets becuase they are detailed so much than early 2010s. But they get expensive tho. 

For me it's more space.  I wish we could alternate between large and small sets haha.

3 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Gorgeous set and I’ll not listen to any nit-picking.

Indeed! I don’t need to listen to others’ complaints about this gorgeous se. I’ll but this one and Tranquil Garden set.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:08 AM, Lion King said:

Indeed! I don’t need to listen to others’ complaints about this gorgeous se. I’ll but this one and Tranquil Garden set.

Same here. Purchasing both on day one!

I'm excited to report that Himeji Castle is an absolutely fantastic addition to the LEGO Architecture series.  In my in-depth review of the new set, I've tried to call out some of the highlights of this set while leaving some surprises for you to discover on your own.  

Brick_Architect-21060-LEGO_Himeji_Castle
#21060 Himeji Castle

Rather than re-post the entire review here, I wanted to share a few highlights/observations of particular interest to this group:

• Despite the price "adjustments" last year, it offers a comparably good price-per-part ($0.075 USD) as well as price-per-gram ($0.100 USD).
  • The base is slightly smaller than the Great Pyramid of Giza set, but the model stands out more due to the high contrast ratio and sculptural form.
  • It introduces us to a great new part - a 2×2 element with upturned corner.
  • It's genuinely fun to build, and looks awesome.
  • (negative) There is a problem with the Tan color of the 2x2x3 Slope elements - in this one set, I have parts in visibly different hues.  (You can even see it in the photos.)

JB2A2099-1200x400.jpg

#21060 Himeji Castle compares favorably on all accounts to the last two large Architecture sets.

I'm happy to answer any further questions you might have about the set, but yes - this is one of the best sets in the entire LEGO Architecture series!

Sincerely,
—Tom Alphin 

Very interesting the difference in the tan slopes...you can see it and I wonder if others will see the same in their sets.