Herky

Lego Architecture - rumors and discussion

So we have traditionally posted a topic for each year but it seems we can just have one overall thread for the line and just keep adding like many other threads.  To date, there have been no rumors, leaks or anything for 2021.  Last year we knew by November 6 what was coming on January 1 with two skylines.  I can't help but wonder what is going on with this line and if it is going to continue or not?

Rok Kobe designs many of the Architecture sets.  Has he been too busy with the Colosseum to do anything else.  So it could be we won't see any this year.

Also Lego have two new sets in their Botanical range which are going to be released in January.  That is the same time we would normally expect an Architecture skyline set.

Personally I would like to see a merger of the Landmark range with the Architecture range and have sets with a size between the two, not too small, not too large either, sets with a 2000+ piece count.  One set every year or two.  Although I would like to the skyline range continue under its own theme.

12 hours ago, MartyMcFly said:

Personally I would like to see a merger of the Landmark range with the Architecture range and have sets with a size between the two, not too small, not too large either, sets with a 2000+ piece count.  One set every year or two.  Although I would like to the skyline range continue under its own theme.

There is no Landmark theme, all the buildings you’re referring to are an unofficial series under Architecture. If LEGO hadn’t been obsessed with this “largest set ever” nonsense, what you’re asking for is exactly where the Colosseum would have sat nicely. On a shelf, in thousands more AFOLs homes. 

I’m not that disappointed in a way as for me, a longtime fan since the first sets, the Architecture theme has delivered an ever-decreasing return in appeal and enjoyment. Skyline choices like Las Vegas and Dubai have turned the concept into modern day snowglobes, chosen for their “tourist appeal” and little else. 

12 hours ago, MartyMcFly said:

Rok Kobe designs many of the Architecture sets.  Has he been too busy with the Colosseum to do anything else.  So it could be we won't see any this year.

I’d argue he probably got bored of the theme too, but then anyone buying the Colosseum will need to fully embrace the concept of boredom. Bag after bag, tan brick after tan brick. In the year of lockdowns during a viral pandemic, it seems very appropriate. The price, less so.

Edited by Lucarex

I know Lucarex and I have both (jokingly... ish) suggested the theme be rebranded as LEGO® Tourist Attractions™, but it's really starting to seem plausible it could move in that direction. Granted it would need a more diplomatic title like "Landmark Collection" that could stand alongside things like the forthcoming "Botanical Collection," but such a rebranding would give even more leeway for decidedly non-architectural models, and seems increasingly likely in the context of the other 18+ sets we've seen over the past year.

When Architecture first launched, it was really the only adult-oriented theme consisting of small sets that could be easily displayed on a desk or bookshelf - something that could signal to coworkers and visitors that "Yes, I build some LEGO sets sometimes, but in a mature, sophisticated way that does not interfere with my mortgage payments and TPS reports." Now, though, the increased focus on adults (not AFOLs, actual adults) has seen this approach expanded to a broader variety of subject matter. So the time might really be right for a rebranding. Anyone actually interested in architecture has probably given up by now, but there's plenty of untapped potential among the casual consumers out there asking why this theme hasn't done a Grand Canyon set. (Seriously, that's a thing a customer suggested to me.)

August?  wow, that's kind of far away, and I really like the whole name change to Tourist Attractions.  

I see there are a few articles written now about the lack of information on Architecture on different sites.  No one seems to know what is going on with the lack of sets.

3 hours ago, Herky said:

I see there are a few articles written now about the lack of information on Architecture on different sites.  No one seems to know what is going on with the lack of sets.

No reason to wory, Stonewars.de claims after contact with Lego that the 2nd half of 2021 will have both Architecture and Speed Champions. Still, no details on what might come.

For translation of the page I highly recommend deepl.com

https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-architecture-lego-speed-champions-2021/

So with 2021 soon upon us, it won’t too be long until we know at least the identity of 21056.

Speculation time maybe?

Whilst I’d love to see Machu Picchu or Angkor Wat, it’s more likely to be a large scale Chrysler or Shard. And that’s my best case imagination.

There is a Lego Architecture group on FB, and someone posted a new magnet which looks to be a piece of a temple in the Forbidden City.  Speculation then led to maybe this temple will be the next in the line since there is a Statue of Liberty magnet as well as some others that tie into the Architecture line.  It does have Architecture like nameplates:  Forbidden City Magnet Build 854088 | Miscellaneous | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

No idea if this is true, but would be at least something other than previously done models if it is, thank goodness.

Edited by Herky

Architecture theme is really missing some modern architecture. A large One World Trade Center an updated Fallingwater or the Sagrada Familia would be nice additions (or some Asian architecture would fit with increased focus of Lego for the Chinese market). The White Hose and Trafalgar Square aren't famous for their interesting architecture, so they don't really deserve this theme.

Edited by ddavid

Is the new Burj Khalifa release just the same as the previous one - the piece count is so assume it is, but am a completist on this series so just need to ensure I don't miss any!

Anyone know what is happening with this theme? It was rumoured to make a return in the second half of this year but so far there’s been no news whatsoever about it :shrug_confused:

@User5346 According to zusammengebaut.com, there will be a 4,037-piece Architecture set and it will release on 1st August, 2021. If I understand well, it will be Elbphilharmonie (Elphi), a concert hall in Hamburg, Germany.

It’s fake!

ar.jpg

Edited by SKL32
Fake information, sorry for posting it.

2 minutes ago, MartyMcFly said:

4000+ for an architecture set seems too high.  That is the kind of numbers you expect from the expert range.

If I understood well, that Zusammengebaut post was fake.

Definitely fake, the best rumor is the $129.99 USD set for August.  That is in the 1000-2000 piece range.  

Probably fake info, and if it actually turns out real, it is probably a bundle or 3 in 1 pack...

This was intended as a joke by zusammengebaut. It's not real info on a real set. I don't remember what they were actually making fun of, but I think they sort of reenacted their yearly trip to the Nuremberg Toy Fair by inventing numerous sets that were so ludicrously obvious fakes that noone could actually have taken it for real info (as long as you're a native speaker of course 🤷‍♂️).

The most obvious clue it’s fake is that massive concert hall is relatively unknown outside of Germany and classical music circles, and has actual architectural merit (albeit with controversial acoustics). 

It’s about as far removed from the dumbed down populist tourist attraction type sets we now see coming out of the LEGO “Architecture” theme.

A rerelease of the Creator Sydney Opera House would be more likely than this hoax.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 PM, Lucarex said:

It’s about as far removed from the dumbed down populist tourist attraction type sets we now see coming out of the LEGO “Architecture” theme.

A rerelease of the Creator Sydney Opera House would be more likely than this hoax.

As an architecture stundent myself I got excited seeing the news, but yeah, It’s never going to happen

I love the Sydney Opera House, but it sold quite poorly, so I doubt there will ever be a rerelease  

10 hours ago, ddavid said:

As an architecture stundent myself I got excited seeing the news, but yeah, It’s never going to happen

I love the Sydney Opera House, but it sold quite poorly, so I doubt there will ever be a rerelease  

I don't think he's saying he'd like it, he's saying that it's incredibly unlikely, and that the hoax mentioned above is even less.  10234 Sydney opera House I have to admit I picked up last year at 18% extra, which I thought was a pretty good deal with free postage and no tax because it was within the UK (like me), and I love it.  The Architecture Sydney Opera House no.21012 however was embarrassing and I can see being redone relatively soon, as it came out in 2012.  Quite a few of the very early ones have either been redone completely or are the main features of a skyline (e.g. Sears/Willis Tower, Chicago).

14 hours ago, ddavid said:

It sold good enough, but just a bit too expensive...

There's plenty of sellers selling it for the retail price so a rerelease is unlikely. A rerelease of Eiffel Tower is more likely.