Klaus-Dieter

Chinese New Year Sets - Rumors and Discussion

52 minutes ago, Lionbear8 said:

Has this been answered yet? Still not in stock in Oz. 

I hope it'll get back in stock for you people, but its Sold out in Europe (and not "temporary out of stock") since August 1, I doubt it's coming back.

Brickset lists it as retiring end of this year, and Nian is retiring soon on the European lego.com as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

This is my 100% pure opinion - when October is getting to  Halloween and then November is next. 

Sure, we don’t have any solid info on new Chinese New Year sets yet.

Recently, there were leaked info about animal molds, such as toucan, squirrel and few mores I could rmemeber. 

But no mention of panda mold yet. It makes me think there mya not be a panda mold in 2022 (unless it will be announced unexpedatedly). I still have a hope for panada (and cub).

2 hours ago, Oederland said:

Can we already take for granted that the series continues into 2022?

With a Creator 3-in-1 set releasing January , which has a Tiger main build (2022 = year of the Tiger) , and has a Koi and Red Panda as alternate animal builds, it's clear it's timed/focused on the Asian/Chinese market first and foremost.

All the other 3-in-1 sets release in March, which would be after Chinese New Years.

I don't think they would suddenly stop the Chinese New Year Seasonals with no news ahead of time.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, TeriXeri said:

I hope it'll get back in stock for you people, but its Sold out in Europe (and not "temporary out of stock") since August 1, I doubt it's coming back.

Brickset lists it as retiring end of this year, and Nian is retiring soon on the European lego.com as well.

You know I rang customer service and they say it should still come back into stock. 

Alot of lego sets are struggling to stay available (e.g pandemic delays)

Edited by Lionbear8

2 hours ago, Lionbear8 said:

You know I rang customer service and they say it should still come back into stock. 

Alot of lego sets are struggling to stay available (e.g pandemic delays)

I suppose it still saying "Temporarily out of stock" in Australia, while it says "Sold out" in Europe , confirms that it can/should still come back in that region, but I don't think it'll come back in Europe.

Edited by TeriXeri

Last year pictures became available in early November (if I remember correctly, which also corresponds to when this thread was started).

On 10/27/2021 at 5:14 PM, Oederland said:

Last year pictures became available in early November (if I remember correctly, which also corresponds to when this thread was started).

Yeah i think you are right.

I can’t wait to see some ew sets soon!

I could imagine that we get another dragon dance set and/or another reunion dinner set. After all, these are probably the most common associations with CNY together with lion dances.

Since TLC has introduced their CNY theme in 2019 various Chinese brands have come up with their own sets as well. Actually TLC was not the first one, BanBao had released a dragon dance set with two dragons and a pailou (gate) a few years before, but this remained a single set - so it's really TLC which turned it into a major theme when it comes to bricks. Although there's a great variety of sets it boils down to just a few topics, reunion dinner, dragon dance, lion dance, decorated entrances. There have also been three pop-up books, a few brick-built figures similar to BrickHeadz (Chinese gods including Caishen, people dressed as lions / dragons) and a few music boxes (a dancing lion, rotating kumquat trees, a pavilion with a reunion dinner inside). Despite the many sets there are more or less only three "unusual" sets, 1) a square with some traditional Chinese architecture for lantern festival 2) a departure platform with a train (static) for when people go home to visit their families 3) a theatre pavilion. So while there is room for "creative" sets also with regard to content you risk that the association with CNY becomes too loose.

Then again, with 80107 TLC has shown that they are options. I guess people were especially attracted by the set for being an Asian garden setting with some architectural elements and not so much for being a CNY set. After all, the statue and the banners could easily be replaced by other elements and then there would be no obvious relation to CNY / lantern festival anymore. Still, it also works well as CNY set.

Lego’s been releasing a lot of brick-built objects as of late, maybe the CNY-set could be one as well? Especially if they’ve done most of the celebrations already…

Year of the Tiger costume minifigure just leaked

Is it just me or the mask looks nothing like a Tiger?? It looks more like a hamster

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Year of the Tiger costume minifigure just leaked

Is it just me or the mask looks nothing like a Tiger?? It looks more like a hamster

It’s orange and has stripes. Must be a tiger! But i agree, it’s modded into a very childfriendly tiger. Is it the same orange as that tiger kid? So i can exchange his torso for a striped one?

If Lego decides to reveal the sets at the Chinese Expo again then we should be seeing images between today and the 10th of November. Lego is present at this years event so there is a good chance!

If I may ask - which fair do you have in mind? The China Toy Expo was planned for late October, but it was shifted to Feb 23rd to 25th. I'm not aware of other Chinese toy fairs at the moment, but this doesn't have to mean much.

38 minutes ago, Oederland said:

If I may ask - which fair do you have in mind? The China Toy Expo was planned for late October, but it was shifted to Feb 23rd to 25th. I'm not aware of other Chinese toy fairs at the moment, but this doesn't have to mean much.

"The fourth China International Import Expo, the world's first import expo held at the national level, will be held in Shanghai from Nov 5 to 10."

Thank you! I only follow news for China Toy Expo, Toy & Edu, and Hong Kong Toys & Games Fair, didn't think of other more general fairs. :laugh:

Update: There is already a first preview report about the booth, see https://posts.careerengine.us/p/6185264db493c74ff4770ff1. No photos of the sets are shown, but one can see the displays used. Aside from the tiger costume minifig we can also expect a Caishen / God of Wealth minifig and a few more less interesting minifigs with interesting accessoires though (@ moderators: if this link is considered a leak please remove it, thank you).

Edited by Oederland

Couple more pics leaked of some figs, including skis and a hockey stick too. Can’t wait to see the full thing!

Ice Festival looks amazing , LEGO has done ice skating sets before but this is next level, 13 minifigs ? !

Love the Vignettes as well as they can be integrated in other builds or stacked in various ways making it a cool concept of a set, without too many seperate loose bits, also 12 minifigs !

Edited by TeriXeri

Seems they ran out of ideas. The Lunar New Year Ice Festival set looks like leftovers from Winter Village. I wouldn't mind, but even the implementation is boring, why not a nice ice sculpture instead of this mess with the slide? The small vignettes are okay, but that's it then. Not sure why they go with this cheap yellowish gold for the Caishen minifig and his treasures. Chinese brands like Decool and Pantasy are able to produce golden parts, but TLC can't?

Edited by Oederland