This shooting mechanism with huge magazine with special feeding system can fire 275 rounds per minute. (RPM of PF M motor)

I choose spinning wheels instead of some spring mechanism because it would be quite hard to build spring-based shooting mechanism which can manage to fire 275 RPM.

Edited by Tomas TECHNIC

Thats a pretty cool device, the controllable speed on the wheels and feed mechanism are a nice touch.

Do you notice any slowdown of the flywheels when running high rate of fire though? I have a few Nerf flywheel powered blasters, and on those shooting a round slows down the flywheels a bit, to the point where shooting a few rounds in quick succesion means the later rounds all slow down and fly less far.

33 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Thats a pretty cool device, the controllable speed on the wheels and feed mechanism are a nice touch.

Do you notice any slowdown of the flywheels when running high rate of fire though? I have a few Nerf flywheel powered blasters, and on those shooting a round slows down the flywheels a bit, to the point where shooting a few rounds in quick succesion means the later rounds all slow down and fly less far.

Thank you. Of course flywheels loose some speed when the round is fired but XL motors are strong enough to spin the wheels to the highest rpm in very small time. So there is no (or maybe even small) slow down if you shoot a lot of rounds.

This is one of the best Lego shooting mechanisms I've seen, especially in terms of capacity and rate of fire. I thought of using flywheels like that, but never got around to trying it out. Using an elastic is a great way to keep the flywheels pinched! Several Nerf blasters use hoppers, but none of them work as well as yours.

8 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

Several Nerf blasters use hoppers, but none of them work as well as yours.

Speaking as a Nerf fan, there are several reasons as to why this is. These projectiles are rigid, smooth, and dense, basically the opposite of a Nerf dart. The real issue with Nerf darts and hoppers stems from the fact that the darts are a little bit sticky, due to the foam and rubber heads, and compressible, so they don't hold their shape. The feeding mechanism used here would utterly destroy darts.

It's a very cool model. Might you build a tank around this?:cannon::classic:

21 hours ago, Horologist said:

I love how simple the feeding mechanism is, I would never have thought to use knob wheels like that.

19 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Simply amazing!!!

Thank you!

22 hours ago, lmdesigner42 said:

This is one of the best Lego shooting mechanisms I've seen, especially in terms of capacity and rate of fire. I thought of using flywheels like that, but never got around to trying it out. Using an elastic is a great way to keep the flywheels pinched! Several Nerf blasters use hoppers, but none of them work as well as yours.

Thank you! I think it is fair to say that this magazine is not 100% reliable. Mainly if it shoots rounds at maximum rate of fire it gets stuck sometimes. But if you use lower rate of fire it is nearly stuckless.

13 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Speaking as a Nerf fan, there are several reasons as to why this is. These projectiles are rigid, smooth, and dense, basically the opposite of a Nerf dart. The real issue with Nerf darts and hoppers stems from the fact that the darts are a little bit sticky, due to the foam and rubber heads, and compressible, so they don't hold their shape. The feeding mechanism used here would utterly destroy darts.

It's a very cool model. Might you build a tank around this?:cannon::classic:

Thanks! I wonť build a tank with this. It is so large and it would be quite impossible to make a not ugly tank with it. But maybe I will invent more compact version of this shooting mechanism.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, Tomas TECHNIC said:

This shooting mechanism with huge magazine with special feeding system can fire 275 rounds per minute. (RPM of PF M motor)

Really nicely implemented. The mechanics is all cool and really intriguing.

I just wish that these minifigs aligned so nicely and shot down had the chance to just fire back with their own ideas of shooting down a motionless target.

To be honest: Really nice technical solutions. I mean that. To be straight thought: Why not using all that ingenuity to come up with something less shooting things down.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Best
Thorsten

18 hours ago, Toastie said:

Really nicely implemented. The mechanics is all cool and really intriguing.

I just wish that these minifigs aligned so nicely and shot down had the chance to just fire back with their own ideas of shooting down a motionless target.

To be honest: Really nice technical solutions. I mean that. To be straight thought: Why not using all that ingenuity to come up with something less shooting things down.

Oh well. It is what it is. 

Best
Thorsten

Thank you! I agree that this thing can't do something useful. But I thing it is nice to make your building portfolio colorful.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:41 AM, iLego said:

Very cool contraption !!

I love all such "unconventional" usage of Lego.

Thanks for sharing.

For a few. Thanks!