Sign in to follow this  
CapOnBOBS

[OL - FB1] Eltina, Gros Rouge Smith

Big Red, "Gros Rouge," was raised in Eltina and now has opened his very own small factory in his home town. Having apprenticed with a smith in Breshaun, he would regularly see folks from home having travelled clear across the island to by a new ax head or shovel for the vineyards. 

BlackSmith_4

When his skills had finally matured, there was no question about his next move, only how to finance it. One day, a member of the noble house of Beauchamp, the Admiral's young son Edward, had come to collect a specially commissioned ax head for a tomahawk. Happy with the work, the two struck up a conversation and eventually came to Big Red's plan to build a smith of his own in Eltina. A few weeks later, Red had his chance to demonstrate his skill by presenting his work to Admiral Beauchamp himself.  

BlackSmith_2

Recently opened, the Gros Rouge Smith has been a godsend to the townsfolk in Eltina, no longer having to wait for a transport or make the journey across the island themselves. Big Red's shop is thriving and hums at a busy pace. Part of the financial deal worked out with the Admiral was the apprenticeship of the Admiral's young nephew Jacque. Wanting nothing more than to run off and join his older cousin in the campaign on Terraversa, Jacque is finally busy enough to stay grounded day to day and is learning a skill from a young talent. 

BlackSmith_3

The dual "spires" of the workshop make the Gros Rouge Smith stand out. An ingenious design, the windmill drives a screw to keep the bellows pumping and has a second screw to drive a drop hammer if the wind is strong enough to turn hoist the weight. 

BlackSmith

Neat design with the tall windmill by the forge. I like anything related to metalworking and this is an interesting layout. The rows of finished pieces definitely make it stand out. Using the windmill to power the bellows is a good idea. Is there an actual drop hammer present?

Neat build, and I really like the use of that windmill. I don't know why, it kinda just calls to me. the scene is well set, and I like how the swords hang, and the posing. 

Great job, but I'm going to prod you here, this (updated as of the 23rd of october) is your tenth build this month. They're generally pretty flexible about the rules when you're new, but to quote:

License limits

1. There are no restrictions on how many builds a player may submit each month.

2. Each month, a maximum of four properties built by any individual player may be licensed in the EGS, regardless of the licensing entity*.

3. These four builds may be licensed at any location, however only three properties from the same player may be licensed in any single location per month.

4. The fourth build licensed by a player in a month must be part of a collaboration (either build or story-wise) with another player / other players.

5. Micro build ‘prizes’ awarded by leadership and builds towards Royal Collaborations do not count towards individual licence totals or location quotas.

* 'Entity' includes individual player accounts, settlements and trade companies.

So while it is great to see so many builds from a new player, but you're getting up there. :wink: Sometimes if you're a productive builder, it's better to build bigger than multiple small builds. Again, not a comment on anything you've done, but just a good thing to remember. 

Nice build, the windmill is a nice detail.

It's true there's a monthly quota about licensable builds, but nothing prevent you from posting them now, you can always license the surplus builds later.

9 hours ago, Mesabi said:

I'm going to prod you here, this (updated as of the 23rd of october) is your tenth build this month. They're generally pretty flexible about the rules when you're new

@MesabiAt first, I thought all the OKT stuff didn't count against my count at all. Then I thought that once sold to they didn't count against my 4. So... "hooray, what a great way to jump start into this universe!" After a long conversation with a very patient @Capt Wolf and @Ayrlego I now understand a bit of what is actually going on here and they helped me figure out a plan and fix all my jacked up licenses. My fam has actually been in quarentine for the past week (all fine, no real worry) so in addition to nerding out and really thinking this is fun, I've had all kinds of free time and literally nothing else to do with a lot of it. This little community is GREAT, so many talented folks, I'm clearly enjoying it. Conscious that I've been jamming up the forum, I promise this frequency won't last. Thanks to the team that runs the admin side!

11 hours ago, CapOnBOBS said:

My fam has actually been in quarentine for the past week (all fine, no real worry) so in addition to nerding out and really thinking this is fun, I've had all kinds of free time and literally nothing else to do with a lot of it. This little community is GREAT, so many talented folks, I'm clearly enjoying it. Conscious that I've been jamming up the forum, I promise this frequency won't last. Thanks to the team that runs the admin side!

Sounds good, and I probably overstepped my bounds by telling you that. I would stand by my point though, large licenses are decently lucrative compared to small one offs. :wink:

Another fun thing in the BoBS world is the AMCRA, which allows you to step away from the 'day to day' of EGS, and tell stories with more consequence, and potential impact. Terraversa started as several AMCRAs, and they can be fun ways to explore character backstories, or work on the worldbuilding end of BoBs.

Good to hear your family is doing ok, and you have time to build lego! (And the moment I get quarantined I'm probably going to do the same thing. :pir-grin:)