IcarusBuilds

[MOC] Minifig Scale Clone Wars Eta-2 Actis-class Interceptor

So I've been working on this on and off for the past 7 years. I wanted to have the Eta-2's to go along with my Delta-7B's. Initially my design was heavily based on Gunner's, which I had seen on this forum.
The size was very close to minifig scale, and it served as a good starting point. However I ended up unsatisfied with my result. Four years later after having worked on my Ghost, I took another stab at it and started to make a bit more headway.
I focused more and more on correcting my shaping and overall design. By the end of last year I had finalized a design that I was pretty happy with, the only drawback being the lack of 29119 & 29120 in yellow.
Thankfully they came out with the introduction of the 76897 Audi. Earlier this month I took another look at my design, and while I did still like it, I felt it could use some final tweaks.
And by simply changing the mandibles I found a new love for the design of this ship. So much so that I went ahead and updated my version for Ahsoka, and did up all the other versions from the movies.

So here we go;

My design progress.
50277527078_10dc42c069.jpg

Anakin's Eta-2 from the Clone Wars, with s-foils open and closed.
50278357717_f97e834547.jpg 50278357652_26f687127a.jpg

Some additional views.
50278199486_54afc9fec4.jpg

The cockpit interior and under the s-foils (showing the hole through the wing).
50278199596_7d834c0fb7.jpg

The usual size comparison to my Delta-7B.
50278199041_844e22f3e5.jpg

Ahsoka's Eta-2 from the Clone Wars, with s-foils open and closed.
50277527363_fac22779be.jpg 50278358012_38f15cf7b9.jpg

Some additional views.
50278357982_5ee85dafb8.jpg

And now the designs seen in Revenge of the Sith.

Anakin's Yellow Eta-2.
50277526633_1e7e4f175a.jpg 50278199161_6399d12aa6.jpg

With a comparison to the new 2020 75281 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor.
50277526533_f825bccf1b.jpg

Anakin's Green Eta-2.
50277526713_462d1a4ee8.jpg 50277526663_a20e98a7e4.jpg

Obi Wan's Red Eta-2.
50278357002_db80e5dda1.jpg 50278356947_0c66f0b951.jpg

And finally Obi Wan's Blue Eta-2.
50278357102_5b54ddf1cf.jpg 50278198951_32a236d0ee.jpg

As a final note, all of these are buildable except for Anakin's green Eta-2 (There are several pieces unavailable in Dark Green and some in Dark Bluish Grey).
I have Ahsoka's test built in mostly the correct colours, I've placed a Bricklink order to get the pieces I need to finish both hers and Anakin's CW Eta-2.
Once I have them completed I'll take some photos and add them here.

As always, enjoy.

Very nice work. It seems like you didn't have to swap many pieces out for colour variations which makes them all really nice and consistent.

I've found the scale of the Eta-2 interceptors so hard to get right in minifg scale. Either you use the cockpit and wing pieces that LEGO use, which are detailed but too big, or sacrifice some detail for the right scale. It's a good job 'minifigure scale' has a lot of wiggle room.

Really great job with these, its a shame the official builds are roughly twice the size they should be?
Are you likely to release these designs, I wouldn't mind grabbing a copy of this design to make Obi Wan and Anakins ships

love these designs alot

That's a pretty good design. I wish LEGO would make these, they could easily be half the price of the 2020 set or less.

That said, it's impressive your model is smaller but still more detailed than the lego model in some ways.

Have you built this in real life, if so how's the stability?

I have built one in real life, it's pretty sturdy. Very swoosh-able, the only weak points are the mandibles, but provided you don't pick it up by them, it stays together quite well. I've shaken it pretty violently and everything stays in place. I'm just waiting on pieces to show up so I can swap them out for the correct colours.

Very nice! A lot of models get under/oversized and I love seeing them in proper scale.

Will this be joining your Delta 7 on Rebrickable?

That's incredible how small you were able to get the ship, and still have it stay together. Things often get dicey when working in such detail at that scale. Great work!

I bought your delta 7b instructions and absolutely love it, and will for sure be buying the ones for these once they’re out

Edited by mattypatty40

15 hours ago, mattypatty40 said:

I bought your delta 7b instructions and absolutely love it, and will for sure be buying the ones for these once they’re out

Same here, I am such a fan of IcarusBuilds work.

This, is quite possibly the best eta-2 actis I've ever seen in lego, the shape is just amazing !

To be very honest with you, I wasn't as much of a fan of your delta-7, didn't really like the nose even though it was still very well put together (question of taste, you know) but this ? this is another story entirely, I'll be delighted to buy the instructions when they come out :)

Keep up the excellent work 

I've just built your Delta-7B and have to say I'm amazed at the building techniques. I'd really like to buy the instructions for this if you have released them anywhere?