Harkonen

Dream Lego Licensed Themes

1 hour ago, SuperSquidman said:

I think “Apes” is more renowned than Avatar, boasting two generations of loved films, so it’d get a big push from that alone. 

Renown doesn‘t strongly corrrelate with merchandise sales though, or else Godfather merch would vastly outsell Transformers toys :tongue:

Even under the Disney umbrella I don‘t see them dedicating an entire theme to the franchise. Not every successful movie franchise has toy potential

24 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Renown doesn‘t strongly corrrelate with merchandise sales though, or else Godfather merch would vastly outsell Transformers toys :tongue:

Even under the Disney umbrella I don‘t see them dedicating an entire theme to the franchise. Not every successful movie franchise has toy potential

Exactly. If renown / old famous brands equaled movie / toy success, the failed 2013 Lone Ranger would have been a smash hit as the famous radio serial plays from the 1930s and TV show from the '50s. (although the sets were awesome!)

As far as the 1960's Planet of the Apes goes, I can safely say it's not gonna happen... nor is the 2001 reboot, or the 2010 re-reboot.

Edited by Murdoch17

On 12/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, Murdoch17 said:

As far as the 1960's Planet of the Apes goes, I can safely say it's not gonna happen... nor is the 2001 reboot, or the 2010 re-reboot.

Chima gave us plenty of parts for people who are into POTA to MOC something, but I've never seen any so I assume it's not popular among AFOLS?

The horizon set seems to have been popular, I wonder what other video games along those lines would work as Lego sets...

On 12/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, jonwil said:

The horizon set seems to have been popular, I wonder what other video games along those lines would work as Lego sets...

Mass Effect? Uncharted? Assassin's Creed? Dead By Daylight? Bioshock? Legend of Zelda? Kirby? Halo? Red Dead Redemption? World of Warcraft? Final Fantasy? Fallout? League of Legends? Animal Crossing? Monster Hunter: World? Kingdom Hearts? Dark Souls? Fortnite? Mortal Kombat? Fable? Super Smash Bros? DOTA? Mario Kart? Donkey Kong? Silent Hill? Tomb Raider? Far Cry? Dead Island? Apex Legends? Hollow Knight? Pac Man? The Last of Us? God of War? The Witcher? Castlevania? Metroid? 

Horror games shouldn't be off the table since Stranger Things happened. 

And of course, every Lego set is a Tetris set.

26 minutes ago, Killian said:

Mass Effect? Uncharted? Assassin's Creed? Dead By Daylight? Bioshock? Legend of Zelda? Kirby? Halo? Red Dead Redemption? World of Warcraft? Final Fantasy? Fallout? League of Legends? Animal Crossing? Monster Hunter: World? Kingdom Hearts? Dark Souls? Fortnite? Mortal Kombat? Fable? Super Smash Bros? DOTA? Mario Kart? Donkey Kong? Silent Hill? Tomb Raider? Far Cry? Dead Island? Apex Legends? Hollow Knight? Pac Man? The Last of Us? God of War? The Witcher? Castlevania? Metroid? 

Horror games shouldn't be off the table since Stranger Things happened. 

And of course, every Lego set is a Tetris set.

I don’t think LEGO would touch Mortal Kombat, but Street Fighter is much less violent.

Taking this with a grain of salt, but there are rumours of a new licensed theme codenamed „Sparkles“ consisting of 4+ sets only.

If true, no idea what it could be. Any upcoming non-Disney animated movies next year that would fit? :shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Taking this with a grain of salt, but there are rumours of a new licensed theme codenamed „Sparkles“ consisting of 4+ sets only.

Rumoured sets: 

10785 - “Sparkles 1” (58 Pieces) 
10786 - “Sparkles 2” (130 Pieces) 
10787 - “Sparkles 3” (130 Pieces) 
10788 - “Sparkles 4” (497 Pieces) 

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

If true, no idea what it could be. Any upcoming non-Disney animated movies next year that would fit? :shrug_oh_well:

Mario, maybe? I am not sure why movie sets would have their own codename, though (unless it has something to do with the license being with Universal, rather than Nintendo). 
There is also a new animated TMNT movie that is scheduled to come out in August. 

44 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Mario, maybe? I am not sure why movie sets would have their own codename, though

Also, had they made sets based on the movie, they would‘ve released them closer to its release and I doubt they‘d all be 4+ :laugh:

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Also, had they made sets based on the movie, they would‘ve released them closer to its release and I doubt they‘d all be 4+ :laugh:

All of the Incredibles 2 sets were 4+, so there is precedent. As for the release date, we still do not know when these sets are coming out, so they might end up being released sometime in April. 

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

All of the Incredibles 2 sets were 4+, so there is precedent.

Sure, but why would the main Mario theme be 6 or 7+ and the movie tie-ins 4+?

3 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

As for the release date, we still do not know when these sets are coming out, so they might end up being released sometime in April. 

We would‘ve heard about them a long time ago if that were the case. Also, everything else that got leaked recently is firmly scheduled for 2HY, so this would be an extremely odd exception :laugh:

I wish Lego was like Funko, where they get the licence for everything ever and flood the market with hundreds of licenced products every year.

Imagine if instead of the CMF blind bags/boxes we got lots of small 6x6 or 8x8 vignettes with a licenced minifigure character in it's own themed build in window packaging like Funko PoPs. They'd be super collectable like Funko or Brickheads and there'd be so many amazing new minifigure prints and parts, some could come with new animals/monsters etc. It'd even bring in consumers that aren't into buying complex Lego sets but would want to collect stackable vignettes of their favourite franchises that don't take up much space.

If they branded it as an adult collector line like Lego Stranger Things was, we could see horror and crime franchises and so many more video game characters. It'd even be a good update to Lego's unlicensed In-House themes like the regular CMFs; they could give us characters from the Ninjago/Friends/Hidden Side/Nexo Knights/Chima shows that were never in sets, or different Classic Castle/Pirates/Space factions.

They almost did it with Lego Dimensions, but the gaming function killed it for a lot of people. I reckon Lego would make a ton of money off this idea which would create a huge budget for new part moulds

24 minutes ago, Killian said:

They almost did it with Lego Dimensions, but the Price killed it for a lot of people.

9 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

How about a theme for Duplo? Tayo the Little Bus anyone? My nephew will love those sets if they were made. 

Duplo already has Disney's Cars. Maybe it'd be too similar?

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

By that argument, nobody would buy Lego

So many movie cars I want to see. The black Lambo from the opening scene of cannonball run. Kitt. The Chevy Lumina from days of thunder. The XB falcon from mad max. The bluesmobile. The Mack truck from convoy. The trans-am and Kenworth from smokey and the bandit.

Many of these will never happen due to the content of the film in question (violence in things like mad max for example) or the licensing (getting all the licensed for days of thunder would be very hard I suspect) but they would still be cool to see.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

So many movie cars I want to see. The black Lambo from the opening scene of cannonball run. Kitt. The Chevy Lumina from days of thunder. The XB falcon from mad max. The bluesmobile. The Mack truck from convoy. The trans-am and Kenworth from smokey and the bandit.

I would do anything that wasn't stupid to see the white Subaru WRX from later Fast and Furious movies. 

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Many of these will never happen due to the content of the film in question (violence in things like mad max for example) or the licensing (getting all the licensed for days of thunder would be very hard I suspect) but they would still be cool to see.

I would add the red '57 Plymouth Fury from "Christine" and the semi truck from "Duel" to the never-gonna-happen wishlist.

More James Bond cars would be interesting as well (I think there will be many people here who would love to get their hands on that Lotus submarine)

18 hours ago, Killian said:

I wish Lego was like Funko, where they get the licence for everything ever and flood the market with hundreds of licenced products every year.

I don’t think a ‘throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks’ approach would work for TLG. I mean, some Pops sell very well while others end up at the bottom of bargain bins, which is inevitable with the sheer volume they put out. It’s just a very risky business strategy IMO. 

Sure, you could argue the same thing happens already with some sets that don’t sell all that well, but it’s not that big of a loss since it’s usually just a handful a year. As opposed to hundreds of Pops :tongue: Might work short-term, not so sure about the long-term prospects

11 hours ago, jonwil said:

More James Bond cars would be interesting as well (I think there will be many people here who would love to get their hands on that Lotus submarine)

The yellow Rolls Royce Phantom III from Goldfinger. It SCREAMS to exist officially now that we have the DB5.