Henjin_Quilones

[MOC] The First Robin of Spring

The First Robin of Spring

The American Robin is one of the most recognizable birds in North America, seen in everyone's backyard pulling up worms. Mine does not have a worm, as it was not possible with my bricks and the look I wished to achieve, but I'm sure next time she visits her chicks she'll bring them something wiggling to eat. The branch beneath stands on just three Technic connectors, and the robin is flying with the tip of her tail connected to the branch. A 1x1 round plate with bar fits into the end of a dino neck-twig to achieve the floating look without Photoshop. 

49794659401_6b27d16f77_c.jpg

After building a butterfly for last week's Style it Up contest symmetrical category, I settled on an American robin greeting her chicks for this week's prompt, which was to build something supported by a maximum of four studs.

It's also an entry to the Iron Forge, with minifigure legs in the bark and in the little birds' wings. 

C & C welcome.

What a lovely model! Is that an unhatched egg I spy in the nest, or just leftover shell? Either way, mama had better get rid of it before it attracts predators to the nest!

50 minutes ago, Karalora said:

What a lovely model! Is that an unhatched egg I spy in the nest, or just leftover shell? Either way, mama had better get rid of it before it attracts predators to the nest!

Probably an unhatched egg, but I'm not sure. I just wanted to put a Mandalorian helmet in there, since it was medium-light blue and rounded. 

I love everything about this!

2 hours ago, Karalora said:

Either way, mama had better get rid of it before it attracts predators to the nest!

Off topic but why do they have such brightly colored eggs then? One would think muddy brown would be safer

Lovely. You could have used the brown dino mid-tail section (in one of the branches) as a worm.

9 hours ago, Merlict said:

Off topic but why do they have such brightly colored eggs then? One would think muddy brown would be safer

That's true for ground-nesting birds, which almost universally have camouflaged eggs. Tree-nesting birds rely primarily on the location of the nest for protection. While the eggs are being incubated, the mother bird is almost constantly present and can give a "predator call" if a cat or raccoon approaches, prompting her mate to fly at its face and drive it off. After hatching, though, both parents need to continually leave the nest to gather food for the hatchlings, leaving them vulnerable. They still aren't all that visible from the ground, but an unhatched egg will eventually spoil and the inner shell of a hatched one gives off an odor, which alerts carnivores that there's something worth checking out up there.

A very nice model! I admit I was a little bit confused at the beginning. The colours, the size... but than I recognized, thar the american robin actually is another bird than the common robin! Especially the nest with chicks is nicely executed. And I am glad, that there is finally someone, who pays attention to the feet of a bird!

Yeah it is a totally different bird. Australia has its own black / white / red robin too.

I saw this on flickr a couple of days ago. Although this is not my favourite theme or building style I had to follow you on twitter immediately. This build is absolutely fantastic! The bird itself is awesome but the whole scene is out of this (Lego)world!