Giacinto Consiglio

[MOC] St Mark's Square - Venice

I'm proud to present my latest project, a part of which I already showed in another topic. At around 26000 bricks, this is by far the most challenging and time-consuming MOC I've ever made: due to the particular configuration of the Basilica, I had to reconstruct it as a stand-alone, isolating it from the adjoining buildings. More pics are coming in the near future to show some hidden details. Hope you like it!

49788150206_4bb503c0a2_k.jpg

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

I love the little detail of the tetrachs. That's one of my favourite little pieces of Venice.

New pic of the back of the Basilica. I strove a lot to find enough information about this part of the building, as it is completely hidden by adjoining structures. It is mostly a "reconstruction" of how the church would look like if it was a stand-alone: even the apse is fused to other structures and impossible to visualize as a complete semicircle. Here you can also perceive how heterogeneous is the surface of the Basilica: marbles suddenly interrupt revealing the original romanesque/byzantine brickwork; the shape of the openings and of the roofline is indeed very similar to some details of Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

49815697838_a8e6d3f928_k.jpg

Absolutely amazing. I bet the Architecture design team is made all warm and fuzzy by this. 26,000 pieces you say, this is building time well spent. What a wonderful recreation.

I would sell a spare kidney to be able to recreate this amazing render in reality. It’s stunning and every update it just gets better.

It’s ironic that this is probably the one example that fits both the original ethos of the Architecture theme and the current (inferior) direction of tourist attraction sets.

On 4/21/2020 at 1:50 AM, Giacinto Consiglio said:

This is a render, but I'm probably going to build it for real:wink:

Get started yet?