Sign in to follow this  
yanwilma

City Gate

hey everyone, this represents a city gate. I have provided them with a gate and drawbridge, prisson and wallcarpets. I hope you like it , for me it was fun to build. 

C&C always are welcome

49473262303_02325e8650_c.jpgP1170237 by wouter de smedt, on Flickr

49473893126_40df6d5636_c.jpgP1170229 by wouter de smedt, on Flickr

49473256108_2ff5104175_c.jpgP1170260 by wouter de smedt, on Flickr

49473743996_52e04e26ac_c.jpgP1170257 by wouter de smedt, on Flickr

49473959997_d8712b70b8_c.jpgP1170271 by wouter de smedt, on Flickr

WOW.  I love how you did the walls.  The level of detail is amazing.

Truly wonderful build big kudos

Lovely gatehouse and wall.  Nice drawbridge and bridge in the water.  I like the rooms in the gatehouse, especially the painting on the wall.  Nice landscaping with the bank and the trees and plants.  The only criticism I see would be to put more variation in the water, like add a different color to show different depths or use white for ripples.  Very nice build though and I love the old school figs.  

This is a really beautiful build.  I've been waiting for someone to get enough of those rounded 1x2 plates together to do a rounded tower, because I wanted to see how it turned out.  I think it looks very nice.  You did a good job keeping the straight walls consistent in texture, too, a problem usually ignored by many builders using the cylinder and brick method for rounded towers.  I love the interiors--not entirely sparse, but not overly lavish, and you did a great job on the detail on things like the chandelier and the use of the roller skates as hinges is great.  The old knights lend it a classic feel.  I like the dungeon, too!

One question, since you posted this in the Guilds of Historica subforum, which is a role playing/building area, did you mean to join one of the guilds?  If so, just post in the sticky relevant to the guild, and feel free to introduce yourself in the new member thread.  We'd love to have you on board!  If you are building a one-off or don't like creating a story to go with your builds, this post will likely be moved by a moderator to the general historic forums, so don't be surprised if it moves.

Great work!

13 hours ago, AV_Guy said:

WOW.  I love how you did the walls.  The level of detail is amazing.

Truly wonderful build big kudos

thx for the kind words AV_Guy, glad you like it.

7 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Lovely gatehouse and wall.  Nice drawbridge and bridge in the water.  I like the rooms in the gatehouse, especially the painting on the wall.  Nice landscaping with the bank and the trees and plants.  The only criticism I see would be to put more variation in the water, like add a different color to show different depths or use white for ripples.  Very nice build though and I love the old school figs.  

thx al lot for your kind words. I based my moc on the Anderlechtse Cate in Brussels.  and in that time there were no rocks in the water, the water stands still and was algae green, it was a moat and not a river. But you are right,it's a little bit to same. Next time I will try something else :wink: 

6 hours ago, Grover said:

This is a really beautiful build.  I've been waiting for someone to get enough of those rounded 1x2 plates together to do a rounded tower, because I wanted to see how it turned out.  I think it looks very nice.  You did a good job keeping the straight walls consistent in texture, too, a problem usually ignored by many builders using the cylinder and brick method for rounded towers.  I love the interiors--not entirely sparse, but not overly lavish, and you did a great job on the detail on things like the chandelier and the use of the roller skates as hinges is great.  The old knights lend it a classic feel.  I like the dungeon, too!

One question, since you posted this in the Guilds of Historica subforum, which is a role playing/building area, did you mean to join one of the guilds?  If so, just post in the sticky relevant to the guild, and feel free to introduce yourself in the new member thread.  We'd love to have you on board!  If you are building a one-off or don't like creating a story to go with your builds, this post will likely be moved by a moderator to the general historic forums, so don't be surprised if it moves.

Great work!

Thx for your kind words Grover,  I think I made a mistake and posted it wrong, I hope that someone will make it right soon. I had the same feeling when I saw at first the rounded 1x2 plates. I am also happy with the results of the rounding, so I'm going to use them  more. :excited:

Incredible built, yanwilma. Very consistent with the use of the rounded 1x2 plates. and the flat surfaces have a similar structure. The tapestries in the tower chambers are a nice touch.
And the bridge's stonework blends well too, with nice greenery on the shore.

"Storywise", I have to pity the maiden though. All those soldiers seems to need access to her chambers to man the tower's ramparts. And the poor rat in its nest and prisoner don't seem to have an exit as well. :wink:

I can't seem to find online pictures of how the Anderlecht Gate was supposed to look like in the old days. Do you know of a site with representations of it?

Edited by GeoBrick

8 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Incredible built, yanwilma. Very consistent with the use of the rounded 1x2 plates. and the flat surfaces have a similar structure. The tapestries in the tower chambers are a nice touch.
And the bridge's stonework blends well too, with nice greenery on the shore.

"Storywise", I have to pity the maiden though. All those soldiers seems to need access to her chambers to man the tower's ramparts. And the poor rat in its nest and prisoner don't seem to have an exit as well. :wink:

I can't seem to find online pictures of how the Anderlecht Gate was supposed to look like in the old days. Do you know of a site with representations of it?

Thx GeoBrick for your kind words.  The poor rat has an exit, don't worry :laugh: see the picture below . About the prisoner, there is a door, you can find other pictures on my flickr-account :sweet:

I find a picture of the anderlecht Gate at a book. published for Brussels and is about the history of Brussels. so we know that every city gate, including the laeken and leuvense etc, had a drawbridge, portcullis and prison originally it has a roof and is a bit bigger, but I don't have that many bricks:sceptic:

49478921548_8dd9cc0145_c.jpgP1170288 by wouter de smedt, on Flickr

11 hours ago, yanwilma said:

thx for the kind words AV_Guy, glad you like it.

thx al lot for your kind words. I based my moc on the Anderlechtse Cate in Brussels.  and in that time there were no rocks in the water, the water stands still and was algae green, it was a moat and not a river. But you are right,it's a little bit to same. Next time I will try something else :wink: 

Thx for your kind words Grover,  I think I made a mistake and posted it wrong, I hope that someone will make it right soon. I had the same feeling when I saw at first the rounded 1x2 plates. I am also happy with the results of the rounding, so I'm going to use them  more. :excited:

I did not know it was based on that castle in Brussels.  Sorry it seemed like a river.  That castle would be huge if you did the whole thing.  

On 2/3/2020 at 12:19 AM, cheetor1981 said:

Very nice build.  Love all the intricate details.  Brings me lots of nostalgia for classic castle sets.

Thx, I'm a nostalgic person, it was a few decennia's ago that I build something from the classic castle set. So for me it was a trip to memory lane. :wink:

I actually really enjoy the way you created the tree in the far corner opposite the gate building, the white trunk with the 1x2 cylinders looks simplistic at first, but it does a really solid job of looking like an Ash tree or a white oak, giving more variety than the typical brown trunks that make up a lot of landscape builds! Great Job!

Great seeing those 1x2 round plates put to use on such a grand scale!
Very cool shading in the water, and the massive gatehouse is impressive :thumbup: