3 hours ago, Harkonen said:

New minifig leaked on instagram. Looks out of Power Rangers/Sentai.

I think this pretty much confirms that Monkey Kid will indeed be a Sci-Fi theme. 

Just now, Lego David said:

I think this pretty much confirms that Monkey Kid will indeed be a Sci-Fi theme. 

Reading the set names it sounds to me like a Ninjago spin-off.

The helmet looks like another recolor of the piece from the CMF Galactic Bounty Hunter, Ant-Man, & Firefly.

Edited by gedren_y

8 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Reading the set names it sounds to me like a Ninjago spin-off.

I'm hoping that some of these sets can be modified or repurposed into space vehicles, or that they have components that will be useful in space MOCs.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Can we rename this thread as Chinese Ninjago already?

Just to be safe let's wait for the official pictures first.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Can we rename this thread as Chinese Ninjago already?

Or maybe just "Ninjago Ninjago" since Ninjago can hardly be qualified as Japanese anymore

I think that white female figure is Avalokiteśvara, or at least an original character based on her/taking her role. Not sure about the power ranger girl, is she confirmed to be from this theme? Looks more like Ninjago to me.

Either way I'm pretty disappointed again with the new figures, they're absolutely not what I expected from this theme, just another Ninjago, which I haven't had any interest in since the first wave of sets and the movie.

3 hours ago, Huigberts Builds said:

I think that white female figure is Avalokiteśvara, or at least an original character based on her/taking her role. Not sure about the power ranger girl, is she confirmed to be from this theme? Looks more like Ninjago to me.

Either way I'm pretty disappointed again with the new figures, they're absolutely not what I expected from this theme, just another Ninjago, which I haven't had any interest in since the first wave of sets and the movie.

She can't be from Ninjago since ninjago is going with more medieval looks and knights and she never appeared in the show to be in the Legacy sets. 

Such a lack of coherent elements, this theme seems to be suffering an identity crisis even before it launches!

On 4/19/2020 at 9:49 AM, Harkonen said:

New minifig leaked on instagram. Looks out of Power Rangers/Sentai. 

Are we certain that this Minifig is from Monkey Kid? The aesthetic fits Ninjago better than what we have seen of MK, but since Ninjago is historical-fantasy/D&D-based this year (and if it were to have a Green Dragon Ranger, it would be Lloyd), that is unlikely. The other MK heroes that we have seen appear to be wearing regular clothing, rather than colour-coded team suits, so this Minifig feels out-of-place. Furthermore, since MK is rumoured to be based upon Chinese folklore (in order to appeal to a Chinese market, who may feel that Ninjago is too Japanese-inspired), I find it unlikely that LEGO would include a Sentai character, since Sentai is a well-known Japanese genre. 

I think that this Minifig is actually from a different (Sentai-inspired) theme, and that Monkey Kid has been temporarily shelved (which would explain the general lack of information regarding the theme). Perhaps LEGO wanted to unveil MK at an event in China, and are waiting until Covid-19 subsides in order to do so. Alternatively, LEGO may be concerned about backlash from a vocal (racist) minority over releasing a heavily Chinese-inspired theme in the midst of the "Chinese Virus" pandemic, so they may have delayed MK and replaced it with a Sentai theme (which most Americans are likely just to associate with Power Rangers). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

45 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Are we certain that this Minifig is from Monkey Kid? The aesthetic fits Ninjago better than what we have seen of MK, but since Ninjago is historical-fantasy/D&D-based this year (and if it were to have a Green Dragon Ranger, it would be Lloyd), that is unlikely. The other MK heroes that we have seen appear to be wearing regular clothing, rather than colour-coded team suits, so this Minifig feels out-of-place. Furthermore, since MK is rumoured to be based upon Chinese folklore (in order to appeal to a Chinese market, who may feel that Ninjago is too Japanese-inspired), I find it unlikely that LEGO would include a Sentai character, since Sentai is a well-known Japanese genre. 

I think that this Minifig is actually from a different (Sentai-inspired) theme, and that Monkey Kid has been temporarily shelved (which would explain the general lack of information regarding the theme). Perhaps LEGO wanted to unveil MK at an event in China, and are waiting until Covid-19 subsides in order to do so. Alternatively, LEGO may be concerned about backlash from a vocal (racist) minority over releasing a heavily Chinese-inspired theme in the midst of the "Chinese Virus" pandemic, so they may have delayed MK and replaced it with a Sentai theme (which most Americans are likely just to associate with Power Rangers). 

Interesting hypothesis, but themes don’t just come out of thin air. It would have had to be in the works well before COVID-19 was even around.

Still, I hope you’re fight, if only because of how cool LEGO combining mecha would be. I would be so down for some type of LEGO Megazord created by combining four or five separate vehicles.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Though I wouldn't completely rule out this hypothesis, it seems very unlikely. As @Fenghuang0296 pointed out, LEGO themes don't come out of thin air, and usually takes around 2-3 years for an in-house theme to be made. 

I personally am pretty convinced that the white women minifig is from Monkey Kid, being most likely one of the demon villains. 

30 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Interesting hypothesis, but themes don’t just come out of thin air. It would have had to be in the works well before COVID-19 was even around.

9 minutes ago, Lego David said:

LEGO themes don't come out of thin air, and usually takes around 2-3 years for an in-house theme to be made. 

I think that it was, though. If LEGO had Monkey Kid scheduled for Summer 2020 and “Super Warriors” for Winter 2021, pushing the Sentai theme’s release to Summer 2020 to replace MK would only cost LEGO a few months (and by this point, the theme’s development would essentially be finished). Additionally, if LEGO had a nearly-complete Sentai theme planned for 2021, the Super Warrior CMF makes more sense. 

42 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Still, I hope you’re fight, if only because of how cool LEGO combining mecha would be. I would be so down for some type of LEGO Megazord created by combining four or five separate vehicles.

So do I, and because of the precedent set by Voltron, a Megazord-type feature is a possibility. 

21 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I personally am pretty convinced that the white women minifig is. . .  most likely one of the demon villains. 

If you are referring to the white-and-green Minifig with the helmet and dragon motif (rather than the all-white one with robes), I disagree. This Minifig looks obviously like one of LEGO’s colour-coded action theme heroes (See Ninjago, Nexo Knights) - Not a villain (particularly not a demonic one). 

Given the face and hair, I think the Sentai-looking fig is supposed to be the Ninjago character Nya.

Just now, gedren_y said:

Given the face and hair, I think the Sentai-looking fig is supposed to be the Ninjago character Nya.

She looks similar, but the hair is very different and Nya has never been associated with the colour green. 

Just now, gedren_y said:

I forgot about that, but I was referring to her never having green as her main colour (the torso in question is still mostly black/red). The Sentai Minifig looks like a version of Lloyd with the wrong head/hair, if not for the curves printed on the torso. 

49 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

(rather than the all-white one with robes)

I was referring to the all-white one with robes.

8 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I was referring to the all-white one with robes.

Ah. In that case, I agree - I thought that you were referring to the Sentai Minifig. 

I think Monkey Kid is a a more mecha based theme like Exo Force. I'm still going by the idea that the sentai minifig is from Monkey Kid. Lego summer sets started to leak so it's a matter of time before we see the sets. I don't think the theme got delayed for 2021,it would be a weak move. But it will probably release in august. 

There is another leak of pig chef head on instagram. 

MONKEY KID SET PICTURES ON INSTAGRAM!!! It's interesting that on the box it says Monkie Kid. The sentai girl is from the theme. 

Edited by Harkonen

1 minute ago, Harkonen said:

MONKEY KID SET PICTURES ON INSTAGRAM!!! It's interesting that on the box it says Monkie Kid. The sentai girl is from the theme. 

Yup! Thanks to @Ninja_whip, here's a link to the site it's on

https://www.hktvmall.com/hktv/zh/main/LEGO/s/H6966001/玩具圖書/玩具圖書/遊戲玩具/玩具分類/拼砌系列/樂高/LEGOMonkie-Kid-80006-白龍馬戰車-西遊記-孫悟空/p/H6966001_S_80006

I've checked, and this is the only one they have, it's weird, but hey, we've finally seen something!

Nevermind, there's more of them... I guess I missed it?

Edited by NetherCreeper
factual error