Captain Nemo

Harry Potter 2020 - Rumors & Discussion

lego uploaded a new video on yt 30 mins ago with the twins looking through and talking about DA

Edited by Surge

9 minutes ago, chris6507 said:

I added mine to my cart at 11:59 Australian time and the Hagrid and Buckbeak got added to cart. I would just suggest adding it to cart as soon as possible and you will find out. If it doesn't get added you can delete it and wait til it hits midnight or you can just forgo it if you don't want to wait. But may as well add it to cart as soon as you can and you'll have your answer clear as day. But as I said, for me it seemed to work early. 

Also not that it's any great indication for other countries, but it hasn't sold out within an hour in Australia. So hopefully it should be all good! :-) Good Luck!

Good to know, thank you!

10 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I wouldn‘t worry too soon :classic: First off, we don‘t know its price point (if Gringotts gets released next year in the first place, but I‘m optimistic). For all we know, it could be 150$. Secondly, it doesn‘t have to include tracks, it could just be the front, the dragon, one or two cash desks and part of the vault. Or just the front and the dragon, works for me too :shrug_oh_well: Lastly, they could split the set into two individual ones and release the dragon, tracks, and Bellatrix‘ vault as its own set. Not exactly all that realistic, but you never know. Whatever it ends up being, I think after the last 3 years we can trust the designers to do it justice :grin:

I wouldn't be surprised if it anchors a follow-up set of similar size and price or for it to be a standalone modular size set in the $200 range, both of which would be compatible with the connection pins of this years set in a variety of ways.

The CAD price is exactly what I was hoping for, so I'll be going to my local store tomorrow morning to grab a copy.

I'm really glad the PS Harry is included in this set. That makes me worry a little less about a GWP extension.

Still need to figure out the space problem... :look:

18 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I wouldn‘t worry too soon :classic: First off, we don‘t know its price point (if Gringotts gets released next year in the first place, but I‘m optimistic). For all we know, it could be 150$. Secondly, it doesn‘t have to include tracks, it could just be the front, the dragon, one or two cash desks and part of the vault. Or just the front and the dragon, works for me too :shrug_oh_well: Lastly, they could split the set into two individual ones and release the dragon, tracks, and Bellatrix‘ vault as its own set. Not exactly all that realistic, but you never know. Whatever it ends up being, I think after the last 3 years we can trust the designers to do it justice :grin:

I know I know, I’m just used to being disappointed by company decisions :laugh: this current wave should leave us confident though I’m sure!

In a break from the miasma of DA news, for all the UK bods out there who haven’t ventured out for whatever reason, I’ve just got back from Smyth’s Toys in Exeter where they have the entire summer line including the CMF, barring DA.

4 minutes ago, ???theriddler??? said:

Just called my Lego Store. They told me it's coming with a GWP tomorrow, but they can't reveal or confirm what it is until Lego reveals it.

The Australian shop@home site lists it as available now with a "FREE exclusive Hagrid™ & Buckbeak™" for any HP over $200, so would that be the same thing everywhere? Is there a specific GWP for Diagon Alley that isn't the secret stand?

Edited by GalacticHippo
Added clarity :)

3 minutes ago, GalacticHippo said:

The Australian shop@home site lists it as available now with a "FREE exclusive Hagrid™ & Buckbeak™" for any HP over $200, so would that be the same thing everywhere? Is there a specific GWP for Diagon Alley that isn't the secret stand?

Yes - that's the GWP everywhere. Not sure why the store didn't confirm that, but it's on the catalogue. You also get the Harry & Hedwig polybag in store only.

How early are people getting to the store? I called my store and they said they don't take names (which was expected but worth a try).

18 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it anchors a follow-up set of similar size and price or for it to be a standalone modular size set in the $200 range, both of which would be compatible with the connection pins of this years set in a variety of ways.

The pattern so far is a D2C set every second year. Of course such patterns only exist in our heads (there‘s no official rule mandating that after all, just look at the recently leaked Batwing which breaks both the DC and Marvel D2C schedules), but I still don‘t expect it to change all of a sudden :wink: Unless a rumour to the contrary shows up, I don‘t think we’ll see the next D2C set before autumn 2022.

3 hours ago, Mordarch said:

Did the microscale Hogwarts sell out quickly when it was released? I remember getting it quite early on (maybe ordering it a week or two after release), I don't remember it being out of stock.

So back when hogwarts released, the store here in Las Vegas held a preorder for VIPs (thank God they didn't do that for diagon alley) that sold out within 30 minutes of them starting said preorder. The website on the other hand worked smoothly. Purchased it day one from S@H, and didn't have any problems. I ended up checking the site after I ordered the set for the next week and a week into regular sales and it never went backorder. So I figured it's not as popular as the Millenium falcon was, but keep in mind, because of Covid, people are using the website more than going to the actual stores to buy these sets.

3 hours ago, InkyStar said:

www.ttbda.com 

Set is $599.99 in Australia...ouch

Jesus Christ. How much was the $799 Millenium falcon in Aus?

2 hours ago, Zedro said:

In the promocional video they make 2 side os the street putting 2 buildings on witch side. Nicely done. Exclusive print Harry is a great addition to the set. Insane set. (I do not see the ? rabbit on WWW, I am worried) 

So yeah, you don't have to have all four connected, you can even attack then to any modulars you have too, which is what I may do.

2 hours ago, MaxHeadroom said:

If we're getting Harry here then what is HP-4? UCS Dobby's Sock GWP?

I assume HP-4 refers to the fourth movie in the series but I may be wrong

2 hours ago, YetiZombie said:

The designers mentioned that they had to reduce the shops by a floor in order to include more shops. So, for those wondering, it wasn't a lazy design - it was just a trade-off.

Yeah alot of people thought they were being shafted because the designers were cutting a floor from each building, but looking at it now, it makes sense.

1 hour ago, zintac said:

Any one know what time this will be able to be bought in the USA Eastern time?

I think the set will be made available online at 12:00 AM PST. I'm only guess because they did the reveal at 3:00 AM PST.

50 minutes ago, lifeinplastic said:

At £370 I can't see many parents forking out to buy this for their kids and the price is no doubt a step too far even for many AFOLs. Presumably the Lego accounts team have done their homework about price points but I do wonder if this set couldn't have been broken down into smaller, more affordable sets in a more suitable price range for more consumers and in turn would turn out far more profitable. For example, I won't be buying this set for me and I can say with complete certainty my sister won't be buying this for her kids, so no sales made for either and we will quite easily go and buy a non-Lego product instead.

Smaller buildings would then allow more variety within the general HP line as each year a new addition to Diagon Alley would become available rather than another remake of the Hogwarts Express, Privet Drive, Flying Ford Anglia. I suppose they have to include most of the shops together as each one as an individual building is perhaps less appealing and integral to the story. There is no doubt a good selection of parts, which you would expect from the number of bricks included but not enough for me to personally justify buying this set and the number of stickers really doesn't make this a must-have item that I intend to buy.

To be honest, one of the reasons I enjoy building the bigger sets is because they're really not meant to be a playset, but rather a conversation piece. Due to my anxiety, the only thing I'm worried about now is how many people will be standing in line at the Lego store to pickup their set tomorrow morning.

34 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I meant it would‘ve been a huge surprise today if we didn‘t already know about the Harry minifig :tongue: It‘s not often we learn about a new figure in a set that was already leaked :wink:

BTW, check out the review by @Ashnflash who also shows some of the ways you can display the set :thumbup: 

How do some of these YouTubers get the sets before release?? Is it because they're partnered with LEGO??? Is it because they have alot of subscribers?

Just now, Juturna said:

How do some of these YouTubers get the sets before release?? Is it because they're partnered with LEGO??? Is it because they have alot of subscribers?

You have to be part of the LAN (LEGO Ambassador Network). Which you can only really apply and get accepted for if you have a decent following (on YouTube, blog, etc.).

Don`t know if anyone finds this as funny/insulting as me: on the product page if you scroll down a little bit https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/diagon-alley-75978

there is a picture of Lucius, Florian, Lockhart and DP photographer and the text beside it says

Four new faces—only in this set

Well that sentence is a plain lie. There are only three new faces in this pic, Lucius`s head isn`t new or only in this set. In fact it might be one of the most used fleshy heads (besides angry clone)

That sentence is giving me an angry clone expression.

I’m surprised of how lenient they are for who gets review copies. No offense to these guys but it’s not like these guys have a million followers. Maybe the Lego community is just smaller than I thought lol

Just now, Metanoios91 said:

Don`t know if anyone finds this as funny/insulting as me: on the product page if you scroll down a little bit https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/diagon-alley-75978

there is a picture of Lucius, Florian, Lockhart and DP photographer and the text beside it says

Four new faces—only in this set

Well that sentence is a plain lie. There are only three new faces in this pic, Lucius`s head isn`t new or only in this set. In fact it might be one of the most used fleshy heads (besides angry clone)

That sentence is giving me an angry clone expression.

Could be me but I feel like it's extremely obvious that by 'faces' they mean characters, which is a fairly common expression :sceptic:

But that isn't true for Lucius or Lockhart as well, because they are revamps from he old HP line

Just now, Robert8 said:

But that isn't true for Lucius or Lockhart as well, because they are revamps from he old HP line

Obviously they’re referencing the current wave (2018-present). Kids today weren’t even born the last time Lockhart or maybe even Lucius were available.

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Im pretty sure they mean for the reboot

1 minute ago, Guyon2002 said:

Could be me but I feel like it's extremely obvious that by 'faces' they mean characters, which is a fairly common expression :sceptic:

Even if you`re interpretation is what they meant to say, the sentence with the new and exclusive characters would be wrong because Lucius and Lockhart are not new characters. Lucius was in quite a few sets (with a better face print) and Lockhart was also in 2 (with a more accurate sand red outfit).

I think you guys are reading too much into this lol, most people buying this set now wouldn't know that it's a super common face or that the characters were in previous waves 9+ years ago. Remember - we're the outliers.

Edited by YetiZombie

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Haven’t read through all the replies yet, but just want whoever doubted the back to back theory for the shops to admit they were wrong :grin:

Very well. I concede to eating my words.

Connecting them back-to-back actually looks much better than I'd expected, but I still don't really get the advantage of shoving them together like that.

Edited by Retro Brick Reviews

5 minutes ago, Modal said:

Obviously they’re referencing the current wave (2018-present). Kids today weren’t even born the last time Lockhart or maybe even Lucius were available.

16 year old kids would have been born before 2010 otherwise they wouldn`t be 16 :laugh: and this is a set for 16+ "kids", Lockhart came out in 2002. Lego sets have a shelf life of 2 to 3 years. So a 16 year old would have been born in 2004 and thus when that character was available

Edited by Metanoios91

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

It's already highly detailed, looking at what we're getting they could've easily charged us anywhere between 450 and 550 for this. The price may be high but looking at what we're getting it's pretty good

Looking at Ninjago City, for example, this doesn't compare in anything but piece count.

Just now, Modal said:

I get what you say, but you can't promote a character as being "only in this set" if it is a blatant lie