Herky

Lego Architecture 2020

9 hours ago, Fairsy said:

It's beginning to get frustrating how many buildings are re-done .

Effectively have 3 ESBs with the Skyline, 2 of both the John Hancock and Willis buildings, 2 Guggenheim's, 2 Whitehouses, 3 Burj Khalifa's, 2 Eiffel Towers, 2 Brandenburg gates, 2 Flat Irons, etc.

They aren't all the most exciting buildings in the first place - Lego really needs a rethink on this

Also You missed some then 

and even more if you count non architecture sets 

2 statue of liberties

2 sydney opera houses. 

2 big bens 

2 louvres

2 arc de triomphe 

4 Burj khalifas if you count set 21055

That’s because the theme of LEGO Architecture is no more and has been quietly replaced by LEGO Tourist Attractions. 

21 hours ago, Lucarex said:

That’s because the theme of LEGO Architecture is no more and has been quietly replaced by LEGO Tourist Attractions. 

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  Sets designed for a souvenir kiosk at the airport.  I have every architecture set. But, probably won’t have any more.  

On 2/18/2020 at 5:01 PM, Steve309 said:

Also You missed some then 

and even more if you count non architecture sets 

2 statue of liberties

2 sydney opera houses. 

2 big bens 

2 louvres

2 arc de triomphe 

4 Burj khalifas if you count set 21055

I think there are 3 Big Bens, Skyline, Small Set for Architecture and a Creator larger set.

9 hours ago, Herky said:

I think there are 3 Big Bens, Skyline, Small Set for Architecture and a Creator larger set.

Yep. That's why I said "and even more if you count non architecture sets "

technically 3 sydney opera houses. Skyline, 21012 and creator. 

way to many repeats.

Amen to that, tired of the repeats as well.  I have been waiting for a long time for a Taipei 101, Chichen Itza, etc...it shouldn't be this hard to get those into production.

Whoa, way to start a feeding frenzy!

Confirmed as an S&H error unfortunately for those wanting one, it remains exclusive to Billund only.

Got around to building mine a couple of weeks ago, a really gorgeous set. 

Now for an extra dose of whiplash, looks like LEGO has announced that 21037 will in fact be available through S@H starting in May!

New White House 21054 has leaked - exec residence plus both wings and gardens as rumoured.

Whilst a very uninspired choice, and probably a dull build, it does look nice, the garden helping a lot there set off against the buildings. At almost 1500 pieces though it’s gonna be pricey!

Sadly, no clown minifigure with a green "disinfectant" syringe included.

Edited by Lucarex

White house is fine at all but what I'm interested is the change of the box art. Architecture logo is now at the bottom left instead of top left and is smaller than the predecessor so it can focus on the white house itself. Also the age range has bumped up to 18+ so there is a possibility that future architecture sets will be like this.

Edited by AMD

The Architecture logo is now tiny (!) and you almost miss it down there in the corner. Strange to see the LEGO logo also dropped from standard top-left. I do like the schematic/blueprint banner though, which contrasts nicely against the black.

Instead we now have that massive hotel-style WH logo (is that official? I’m not familiar) brashly taking centre stage as if to shout “look, I’m the biggliest White House ever!”, very reminiscent of the current tenant.

Edited by Lucarex

Given that some of the previous less-famous buildings didn't sell so well, its not surprising LEGO want buildings that are instantly recognizable and not just to fans of buildings or architecture.

That said, there are definitely famous buildings and landmarks they haven't done and that are famous enough to make for a popular set.

Just now, UKFan922 said:

I hope we get a minifig of my favourite president. And Melania.

Errr ok...

Assume by “favourite” you won’t go with my clown with syringe MOC suggestion above, try googling “Lego custom donald trump” and there’s at least 2 different options in the UK for you.

6 hours ago, Lucarex said:

The Architecture logo is now tiny (!) and you almost miss it down there in the corner.

They wouldn't want to risk catching the attention of anyone who actually cares about architecture, as we're clearly not the target demographic.

On a positive note, I am glad that Earth Green is once again being used for the lawn; I was never a fan of the inexplicable shift to Olive Green.

1 hour ago, tafkatb said:

They wouldn't want to risk catching the attention of anyone who actually cares about architecture, as we're clearly not the target demographic.

Quite. Or put off customers who love a tourist attraction but think of the word architecture as something negative.

I am not thrilled with another White House but it does look like an upgrade over what we had.  That said, why not just do this one in the first place?  Still so many buildings to do...

Also, and this is NOT an endorsement of anyone, can we NOT go political here? It's ok to feel how you want about any of the political figures, I definitely have feelings about them all and what a show that area of the world can be, but no need to voice it here.  Thanks.

FLW’s license aside, I wonder if this is further signaling that small structure / house sets like FW, Robbie and Farnsworth won’t be made again. Kind of bummed and I don’t think I’ve come across many architecture MOCs. Skyscrapers and landmarks seem to be the focus (and skylines). 

2 hours ago, KevinMD said:

FLW’s license aside, I wonder if this is further signaling that small structure / house sets like FW, Robbie and Farnsworth won’t be made again. Kind of bummed and I don’t think I’ve come across many architecture MOCs. Skyscrapers and landmarks seem to be the focus (and skylines). 

Sadly that ship appears to have sailed LONG ago now. It’s a shame about the FLW license, an updated FallingWater would be quite something.

House/small structures may be out but striking a balance between recognisable buildings and architectural merit isn’t impossible. Lots of classical or modern examples like Frank Gehry’s UAE Guggenheim, the Pompidou Centre, Musee D’Orsay, Casa Milà, just off the top of my head. 

11 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Sadly that ship appears to have sailed LONG ago now. It’s a shame about the FLW license, an updated FallingWater would be quite something.

House/small structures may be out but striking a balance between recognisable buildings and architectural merit isn’t impossible. Lots of classical or modern examples like Frank Gehry’s UAE Guggenheim, the Pompidou Centre, Musee D’Orsay, Casa Milà, just off the top of my head. 

Very much agree with all of the examples you list here...so the key I guess is, how do we get Lego to notice?  How can we influence them to make sets like this that Architecture collectors actually want instead of the same sets over and over.  What solution can we provide so they pay attention? Once we can figure that out, maybe we can get some sets that we deserve.

I think the Guggenheim Bilbao would be a better pick than the Guggenheim UAE (more famous)

Just now, jonwil said:

I think the Guggenheim Bilbao would be a better pick than the Guggenheim UAE (more famous)

Agreed but there’s just something about the new project...

Oslo opera house is another for the list.

Any idea when the Lego House is going to go onto the website in May? And is there anyway of setting an alert up for it - it's the only Architecture set I don't own so desperate to get hold of it.

Also, has anyone looked at Atom Bricks re the the FLW stuff, looks interesting

1 hour ago, Fairsy said:

Any idea when the Lego House is going to go onto the website in May? And is there anyway of setting an alert up for it. 

Also, has anyone looked at Atom Bricks re the the FLW stuff, looks interesting

No way to alert AFAIK so you’ll just need to be lucky. Also, I heard the Tree of Creativity is also going on general sale.

Those FLW sets were discussed and reviewed a few pages/couple months back in this thread.