LM71Blackbird

[GoC - Gunboats for the RN] Class 2 Gunboat

[GoC - Gunboats for the RN] Gunboat proving

Following the recent launch of a cutter class vessel for the Royal Navy, Quinnsville's smaller shipyards have just launched a gunboat and are currently proving her before towing her to Kings Harbour for use by the Royal Navy.

48791352991_6c8f33295c_b.jpgRN Gunboat 1 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The large, lone 24 pounder carried in stern is more than adequate to inflict serious damage to anyone with ill intent toward the settlements and shipping of Corrington.

48791495582_ac3af359da.jpgRN Gunboat 2 by LM71Blackbird, on Flickr

The Royal Navy will find vessels such as this one to be very useful for defending costal waters and if enough can be built, even the mighty frigates are no match for these small but powerful crafts.

----------------------------------

Another entry for the GoC! This one is for the Oaken Shield/Gunboats for the colonies task. C&C are welcome and appreciated and thanks for looking!

@Bregir @Ayrlego @SilentWolf @Captain Dee

And already another one:)

Great Gunboat, I like that the bow works that well with the rectangular angle. Also a nice flag (at least in the digital version:D)
Though you actually wouldn't need a rudder with a rowing crew, I would recommend you a side-ruder(?) like this:
viking-ship-rudder-was-located-right-rear-part-leading-to-english-expression-right-side-51748740.jpg

Nice hats, they look as if the are from some grandma-figure?:D Good use, sailors often had a stripe with their ship's name written on tied around their hat. I'm just not sure, how common that practice was and when it really started.

Like I said for the cutter, I'm no expert at ship builds. I like the uniforms of the crew and those hats work well for the oarsmen (although surely they'll overheat in the tropics!!). To my eye the hull looks a bit bulky for that small number of oarsmen - but like I said - no expert! As Wellesley suggests, a side rudder may make a nice addition? Anyways, a nice little gunboat and another GoC :thumbup: from me!

24 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Like I said for the cutter, I'm no expert at ship builds. I like the uniforms of the crew and those hats work well for the oarsmen (although surely they'll overheat in the tropics!!). To my eye the hull looks a bit bulky for that small number of oarsmen - but like I said - no expert! As Wellesley suggests, a side rudder may make a nice addition? Anyways, a nice little gunboat and another GoC :thumbup: from me!

Thanks! The boat I used for inspiration was about the same design with less oarsman! A side rudder may be a nice addition as well. 

Lovely gunboat! The flag is surely the masterpiece, as well as the firing cannon. I like the hats of the oarsmen… do they actually exist as physical parts?

3 hours ago, Keymonus said:

Lovely gunboat! The flag is surely the masterpiece, as well as the firing cannon. I like the hats of the oarsmen… do they actually exist as physical parts?

Thank you! The hats do exist, not sure if they come in the black with tan stripe though...

Great gunboat, I wouldn't change anything! It's a shame that a brickbuilt flag like that is not possible in RL - but hey, digital stuff has its advantages! :thumbup:

17 hours ago, Keymonus said:

I like the hats of the oarsmen… do they actually exist as physical parts?

The part exists, but it only came with limited edition minifigs so far. See example 1, example 2 and example 3. No idea where the third one actually was used, but it is in the "Build a minifig" selection in my Lego store

Lovely (Danish :pir-wink:) flag! And the gunboat is very nice too! I like the overall layout, with the massive gun out back - and I think the hull looks nice. I like the detail of the outrigger plate for the oars. I am not sure I think a steering oar would be suitable, as most boats this age would have had center rudders. You are getting a definite :thumbup: from me!

To Mayor Brickford,

The latest gunboat from your shipyards has passed its trials and shown to be a capable vessel, and will prove a valuable asset for our so far very succesful gunboat strategy for the protection of our colonies. It will join the somewhat reduced King's Harbour gunboat squadron and shore up our defenses.

In Her Majesty's service

Rear-admiral Fletcher

Commander-in-Chief, Royal Terra Novan Fleet

17 hours ago, Darnok said:

Great gunboat, I wouldn't change anything! It's a shame that a brickbuilt flag like that is not possible in RL - but hey, digital stuff has its advantages! :thumbup:

The part exists, but it only came with limited edition minifigs so far. See example 1, example 2 and example 3. No idea where the third one actually was used, but it is in the "Build a minifig" selection in my Lego store

Thanks! Yeah, the zero gravity effect lack of stability needs is handy on some builds!

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

Lovely (Danish :pir-wink:) flag! And the gunboat is very nice too! I like the overall layout, with the massive gun out back - and I think the hull looks nice. I like the detail of the outrigger plate for the oars. I am not sure I think a steering oar would be suitable, as most boats this age would have had center rudders. You are getting a definite :thumbup: from me!

To Mayor Brickford,

The latest gunboat from your shipyards has passed its trials and shown to be a capable vessel, and will prove a valuable asset for our so far very succesful gunboat strategy for the protection of our colonies. It will join the somewhat reduced King's Harbour gunboat squadron and shore up our defenses.

In Her Majesty's service

Rear-admiral Fletcher

Commander-in-Chief, Royal Terra Novan Fleet

Thanks! I was going for a well proportioned vessel and I think I achieved that. I agree about the steering oar. It would add some more outward detail, but most gunboats of this size would have been able to turn in a circle by simply rowing.

To Rear-admiral Fletcher,

I am most pleased that the handy-work of our hardworking shipwrights meets you quality standards. I will personally make sure it is ferried to King's Harbour as soon as possible so that it can join the Island defense fleet. The shipyards of Quinnsville are back to their high output status, so before the week is out you should have another, lets say, much larger and more capable vessel to review. 

In Her Majesty's service

Richard Brickford

Mayor of Quinnsville 

This is a great little gunboat from you. I really like the details you placed into this model. The oarsman look ready for their work, the figures are well placed, and the overall shape of the boat is great. Though the smoke and cannon ball is one of my favorite parts of this build. Second favorite would be the shape and design of the flag. Those are definitely perfect touches to take this build from good to great. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

59 minutes ago, SilentWolf said:

This is a great little gunboat from you. I really like the details you placed into this model. The oarsman look ready for their work, the figures are well placed, and the overall shape of the boat is great. Though the smoke and cannon ball is one of my favorite parts of this build. Second favorite would be the shape and design of the flag. Those are definitely perfect touches to take this build from good to great. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Many thanks! I'm quite enjoying the ship building at the moment and this is probably one of my favorites now!

Aha... we have here a realistic version of that classic set, "Harbor Sentry." And a very good design at that. The panels work surprisingly good here. Keep it up. :thumbup: