Sign in to follow this  
alanyuppie

[MOC] Microscope Transformer from Set 70842: Emmet's Couch Mech

Hi guys,

In between my major LEGO projects that sucked me many many weeks (months even) of time to complete .. I took a breather by grabbing a lego set and build (yet again) a LEGO Transformer.

LEGO set 70842:Emmet's Couch Mech  is from LEGO Movie 2 theme  and only recently I managed to get it at 50% off. What a bargain!

Since the set itself is officially a mech, so most of the parts are useful to build robots as well.

b01.jpg

The core design was completed by day 3... and I spent another 2 days more to refine it.

b20190813-000910-v-HDR-On.jpg

A microscope mode was created purely out of experimentations since this lego set doesn't have wheels (for land based mode) or adequate number of wedge/slopes (for swooshable  plane/space jet mode).

b20190813-001053-v-HDR-On.jpg

b20190813-001405-v-HDR-On.jpg

Transforming  between modes doesn't require reassembly of parts.

d02.jpg

I'm very pleased to discover this set has parts for me to build the robot fingers as well , compared to just  knuckles with holes in them.

d20190813-002855-v-HDR-On.jpg
d20190813-002914-v-HDR-On.jpg

No wheels ? No problem! here's an extra hover tank mode.

f20190813-004540-v-HDR-On.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS BELOW!

Note: children might require adult supervision though.

01-arm-left.jpg
02-arm-right.jpg
03-BODY1.jpg
04-BODY2.jpg
05-CHESTPLATE.jpg
06-LEG1.jpg
07-LEG2.jpg
08-LEG3.jpg
09-SCOPE1.jpg
10-SCOPE2.jpg

If you're having problems following the building instructions above, you can pay a visit to my blog link below where I posted a detailed instructions with more detailed steps for beginners to follow:

http://alanyuppie.blogspot.com/2019/08/instructions-for-lego-transformer.html

Have fun!

Edited by alanyuppie

Just brilliant! :wub:

Not kidding here: I had no intention of getting this particular set, but now I am heavily tempted. Not to build it as is of course! :pir-grin:

It's a LEGO Perceptor! The "real" one has more red on him but for an alternate model this is pretty good. You even have a hidden "tank mode" just like the original toy. 

On 8/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, Darnok said:

Not kidding here: I had no intention of getting this particular set, but now I am heavily tempted. Not to build it as is of course! :pir-grin:

Me too when it first came out last year at retail price, . Hopped right in just for the parts initially  . Can't resist 50% discount. :)   

On 8/22/2019 at 10:40 PM, samurai-turtle said:

It's a LEGO Perceptor! The "real" one has more red on him but for an alternate model this is pretty good. You even have a hidden "tank mode" just like the original toy. 

LOL actually the tank mode was just an afterthough from fiddling with the transformation.   Making him red shouldn't be hard.. just substitute the brown and azure color  parts and tiles . However... seems like the latest T shaped mould /part  from this set doesn't come in red though.

1 hour ago, alanyuppie said:

However... seems like the latest T shaped mould /part  from this set doesn't come in red though.

If it comes on black I would use that color, Preceptor (or certain versions of him) have some black on him. But hey this is your version of Preceptor... 

That's quite brilliant! Not only it's an alternate build but it can transform too!

Been a transformers fan when I was a kid so this is quite cool! I always wondered why they transformed into weird things such as microscopes.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:06 AM, Darnok said:

Same here!

Great job @alanyuppie

On 8/28/2019 at 4:56 AM, Reaper said:

Been a transformers fan when I was a kid so this is quite cool! I always wondered why they transformed into weird things such as microscopes.

Not to get to far off topic but, blame the original toys from Japan. Hasbro grabbed whatever line of "transforming" toy they could and marketed here in USA. I am sure their is more information online if you want to learn more check it out...

Now to get back on topic. I was thinking like the original transformers most had a second color / character and this model could have the same thing, if someone really wanted to do something like that. 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Finishing my post ????