TomSkippy

[PA - CUP - Cat B - Class 3] - Golden Rat

Here is my Class 3 entry for the PA Cup.

Golden Rat - Class 3 Brig

R     M     G     C     $     H
3     4      3       2     0     3

The Golden Rat is less of a "real"-style ship, but instead what I call Nouveau-Lego... a build that blends classic Lego design with an AFOL flourish (without the complexity of a Modular or UCS). This is similar to TLC Winter Village.

I started off with the Imperial Guard's Flagship. IMO the IGF is a top 7 Lego ship 

1. IF 2. BSB 3. SES 4. QAR 5. DB 6. IGF 7. BP 8. BB Why is the IGF so high? She may have the best hull dimensions of any Lego ship (she's the least 'beamy'). Her sail volume/color/design is incredible. Few have as much canvas to brick as she does. Some of the newest ships come close, but the IGF was ahead of her time.

Obviously she needed to be "piratized". I changed the palate. Then I incorporated some newer Lego design elements (rails, doors, bow). The stern is a mini-version of MOCYOURBRICKS excellent La Grenouille. The headrails are my own concoction. The rat theme ties it all together.

A new TLC pirate ship would obviously be less complex (and taller) on the stern and involve more play features. Still I'm pleased.

46899966335_20d3952a0c_c.jpg

The Jib Sail was interesting. I planned on cutting up an actual Gaff Sail from the Red Beard Runner :monkey: (heresy I know, but that might be why I'm a Sea Rat). The Bricklink store sent a substitute rather than an original. I was not happy since I was under the impression it was real when I purchased it, but it might be better that a legit sail wasn't destroyed by this MOC.

The Bow piece was painted with Rustoleum Navy Blue, which isn't bad, but clearly not Lego Dark Blue, I'll try something else next time.

40849815373_d36b59fb22_c.jpg

The windows/rats are painted with Vallejo Oro... a nice color, it looks good, but sadly not Lego Pearl Gold (it's shinier in person). 

40849815273_b98f89f320_c.jpg

Captain's Quarters, a little shabby, but pretty cozy for a rat!

46899966215_107f617b91_c.jpg

46899966365_bf6a47aea6_c.jpg

Finally a profile shot @Capt Wolf

C&C welcome!

NOTE: Sorry for the ugly pictures, these are places holders... my sails and rigging was delayed at the Post Office (supposed to arrive last Friday, still not here :damn:). I'll update the pictures as soon as it's in.

Edited by TomSkippy

I really like this ship. :thumbup:  Good lines, good color scheme.

Can we get a good profile view, and maybe a view from above, when you update pics?

Hey, I like that ship! The blend between brick-built and prefab(?) hull looks great. As many said earlier, we need more photos!

Lovable pirate ships to have some adventures upon! the stern looks especially well, the right amount of techniques/details for such a relative small working space.

Thanks everyone! The sails/rigging came in today, I’ll get pics up late tonight!