Idris

Which do you think is the most complex/hardest Technic Set?

On 4/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Erik Leppen said:

A lot depends on what exactly is meant by "hard". I mean, every set comes with instructions that tell you exactly how to build them. Therefore, there can be 2 difficulties: 1. interpreting the instructions, and 2. actually assembling the parts.

For 1. old sets usually win, because they take much bigger steps, and don't split the model into sensible sub-assemblies, so there's no "sense" in what you're doing. In new sets, you usually work at one thing at a time. In many old studded sets, you build many mechanisms in parallel, depending on how they happen to come up in the model. I fondly remember how 8448 broke with this habit and took the modular approach. Another thing about instructions is that I often find instructions about routing pneumatic hoses and electric wires, relatively hard to decipher.

For 2. what is hard, depends on motor skills (and finger size). The only things I personally find hard to do is tying knots in strings, and applying stickers. Also, the new pneumatic hoses are stiffer than the old ones, and I read that the crane of 42043 was a particularly hard-to-build sub-assembly. I never built 8455, but 8868 had a lot of pneumatics in a tight space too.

I agree, in vintage sets instructions get a lot of pieces by step, and you must carefully lot at the draw to find the differences.

I found the modern instructions "too easy" after that.

To be honest, the hardest set to put together is the one where you made a mistake on Step 37 but don’t figure it out until step 1092...   and to top it off, you used a part in Step 37 that was 5 studs long when it should have been 7 studs long, and now on this step 1092, you are short a 5 length black beam and are wondering if TLG screwed up or if I did?  Yes it happened to me on the Lamborghini so it can happen to anyone.

I think the hardest set could be the 42114 Volvo hauler based on the number of help request threads on this forum.  :pir-classic:

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

I think the hardest set could be the 42114 Volvo hauler based on the number of help request threads on this forum.  :pir-classic:

Was about to comment something in that manner, the Volvo and the 42070...or anything else that uses 2 or more diffs.

8848 because it was my first Technic set while I normally played with Lego city and space, there was no going back since then almost everything was Technic. I do not remember what was my age but around 8 or less.