Sign in to follow this  
BarBee

MOC Bakery & Florist's Shop

Hi!

I finally plucked up the courage to present you my second attempt at modular buildings (the first one is not really worth presenting): modular Bakery and Florist's Shop. The build was finalized in Autumn 2016, just in time for display at local exhibitions.

34310996863_2f66f5bcf1_c.jpg

The build began with the real bricks - foundations were laid down with this container, trying to give some extra detail to the building (inspired by the sides of Redhead's Dk Medium Flash Townhouse, and a large trans-clear panel as a shop's window. When deciding which color scheme will work better, I came to an idea to make 2 buildings (Why not, right?), and the chosen colors later defined also the business inside.

After these foundations, I finished the whole building in LDD, and only then continued with the actual model. Its specific is that it's made of three 16-studs wide baseplates, giving each individual house a "non-standard" 24 -studs width. Personally, I think it's a great addition to the existing townhouses, mostly being 16- or 32-studs wide. Plus, it gives both houses a bit more dynamic facade. Front street is rather "lively", while the back is left empty with only back doors of both houses.

34734629050_23dd79867b_c.jpg

The middle baseplate presents entrance to both houses, but it's mainly just a facade with a middle wall separating both residential areas and assuring the build is sturdy enough despite the missing side walls. Also, there's no interior in this section.

34734628490_176c77ce07_c.jpg

The left building hasn't changed much from the LDD sketch - the main difference being the rooftop design, which confirmed what a more experienced fellow builder told me: making a perfect roof for a modular building is best to do with real bricks (and not in LDD) to really see it's shape. House owners - grandma and grandpa - have recently renovated the rooftop, thus it's "screaming" red color and there's also a painter in the empty attic.

In the first floor, there's a busy bakery offering different kinds of freshly baked bread, and city cops' favorite croissants.

35121227375_70df938e8f_c.jpg

34956641022_7626a70e75_c.jpg

The upper floors are not as detailed. Since I didn't want them to be empty for the exhibition, there's a bit of action there, too. Grandma is making lunch (grandpa's favorite Shephard's pie), while grandpa is reading his Sunday paper on the small terrace (and supervising the painter).

34310994993_a1b8a9c1af_c.jpg

The second building is a Florist's shop. The first floor houses a small shop where the young florist takes care of all her flowers.

34990785591_485ea837ba_c.jpg

34311387113_f539f1dc82_c.jpg

The exterior of the upper floors has changed many times from the initial design (to better, in my opinion), while the interior is again very moderate and mainly there not to have a completely empty house.

34956640712_194f69cc83_c.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the end results, and even more so to finally complete a modular building worth presenting at our local LUG's exhibitions (where there's some really good competition). Plus, it also fits with the official modulars well.

35121224425_14868bd990_c.jpg

For more photos go to my Flickr).

BarBee

Nice work! The façade of the florist building is probably my favourite of the two. It looks a little bit more ... balanced than the bakery. And I also like the pops of "yellow with the trip and canopy over the balcony.

I think they're very impressive for your second ever attempt at making your own Modular buildings - well done!

Woah, that color scheme is fresh! Also, really like the shaping and that you didn't overdo the details, and that makes for a pleasant and cozy feel. Great work! :classic::thumbup:

I love the textures!  The flower shop modual is my favorite exterior the whole building.   However inside the shop becomes washed with too much yellow as it detracts from the colors. 

The first floor of the bakery is fantastic as well although the upper windows are oddly spaced ... part of me likes this and the other cdo (that's ocd but the letters are in order) part of me is driven nuts by the imbalance of the upper floor.

However I love the use of a painter! 

Very nice!

Love how you managed to make the facades look interesting despite their relativ simplicity. Having two houses separate in three sections is an interesting idea, too, don't think I've ever seen that before. Sure makes it easier to take a look inside.

Looks great!  The florist building is my favourite - love the colour scheme and depth and texture in the facade.

Thanks everyone for very encouraging comments! my main goal was to finally finish something and contribute to our local LUG's exhibitions, so I just focused on the exterior.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:43 AM, Agent 86 said:

I think they're very impressive for your second ever attempt at making your own Modular buildings - well done!

It's the second modular building I made from bricks, however, I've spent a lot of time in LDD in the last decade, so I guess I can say I practiced a lot! :laugh:

On 4/6/2019 at 7:08 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I love the textures!  The flower shop modual is my favorite exterior the whole building.   However inside the shop becomes washed with too much yellow as it detracts from the colors.

I saw too much yellow, too, when trying to make decent photos! I should have used tan, but most of my tan bricks are still packed up in Grand Emporium ... :blush: