Derek

Problems buying new Indy sets....

Wow! I had no idea these problems ever occured. Wish some clumsy worker would accidently sell me something...

Incidentily, when is the "official", or should I say, "legal", release date? :grin:

the frustrating part is that they are displayed and you can not buy them. Every other store has them but keeps them in the back, and yet Wally world has them out for all to see and then go through the process of being denied. I mean come on, and this is the reason i will probably just wait and go some where else to purchase these.

I rechecked the same store and they are all gonzo!!

I wonder how they able to be sold down in FL (I saw some on Ebay stemming from Jacksonville)...

the frustrating part is that they are displayed and you can not buy them. Every other store has them but keeps them in the back, and yet Wally world has them out for all to see and then go through the process of being denied. I mean come on, and this is the reason i will probably just wait and go some where else to purchase these.

Exactly. If someone made the mistake of displaying the set, they should have to sell it. Instead they choose to lie and say that the set has been recalled. This is a terrible business practice, that I consider unethical. Shame on Walshmart!

If someone made the mistake of displaying the set, they should have to sell it.

Well, no. The new Indy product has a street date that they are obligated to uphold. If product is mistakenly put out early, Walmart still has a responsibility to not sell it.

Instead they choose to lie and say that the set has been recalled.

They're not lying, they simply don't have a clue. Flagging the product at the register (as a recalled item) is the second line of defense. If the sets get out on the shelves early then they can catch it at the register. All the checkout clerks know is that the computer is telling them the item has been recalled. Most of the employees don't know the merchandise well enough to know the actual reason the item has been flagged in the register.

This is a terrible business practice, that I consider unethical. Shame on Walshmart!

Not unethical, rather inept. We've heard reports of Target and TRU both having the Indy product in store, but not getting out to the shelves like is happening at Walmart. My best guess is that before the sets were shipped out of the Target and TRU distribution centers the boxes were flagged with big "do not sell before xxxx" stickers, whereas Walmart probably shipped the boxes out as is and sent a memo to management about the street date. Depending upon the competence of management at the individual stores then determines whether the sets made it to the shelves and/or got flagged into the store computer.

Wal Mart is a giant world wide business and has one of the most advanced stock systems in the world. Here in the US 20 min from the time something is bought at your local store the item is shown being sold at the main HQ of evil and is automatically reordered. I am not going to blame the poor clerks for doing their job but the management that does not know what they are doing. you are correct in saying that it would be wrong to see the items early but they need to be responsible and not display the products until they can be sold.

I wonder why in some Wal-Marts, like in Jacksonville, people were able to buy them. Did they not have the block at the register? Oh well... They'll be out soon enough anyway! :classic:

Well, no. The new Indy product has a street date that they are obligated to uphold. If product is mistakenly put out early, Walmart still has a responsibility to not sell it.

They're not lying, they simply don't have a clue.

Not unethical, rather inept.

I would not have responded to these comments as I disagree, but since I visited Walmart last night and had another frustrated encounter, I need to vent.

I went back to the same Walmart that I visited Sunday night only to find a large cardboard display of Indy Lego near the toy aisle. On the cardboard shelves were the old Indy sets and at least 10-15 of the new Jungle Cutter set (7626) with a big $39.99 price (I think that was the price). In addition, I found two of the large Crystal Skull sets (7627) in the Lego aisle. I asked a store clerk if they are now for sale, and he said "yes, they put them out late Sunday night". I picked up both new sets and took them to the register.

Needless to say, the same thing happened again. By now, I was pretty frustrated. To make a long story short, I voiced my opinion to two different managers before walking out of the store without either set. I must have been there at least a 1/2 hour, while the staff tried to figure out what was going on.

There is something called "Quality Customer Service", and what I encountered from Walmart was far from anything but excuses, and their determination to uphold some sort of date (which they could not provide). Another frustration is that not all Walmart stores are holding the sets (based on this thread). If they had offered a 10% discount or something other than, "Sorry, we can't sell it", I would have been a little more understanding.

There is some law or general business practice that says stores have to sell items at the price marked (even if they are mispriced (unless this is just an Urban myth)). I have some experience in retail and I know of two stores that practiced this business policy. There should be something similar that says, if you put it on the shelf with a price, it's for sale - period.

In any case, I plan to vent to Walmart Corporate, and let's see what they tell me. They lost me as a customer and I will now be buying the new Indy line from Target now - but they at least stuck to that unknown release date.

For those of you who had similar experiences, I would recommend you write a letter as well. If you'd like to do so, respond on this message and I'll provide the corporate address after I find it.

I will happily join you Brickster, oddly enough the same thing happened to me again. The display and sets were still out and still you could not but them. Yes i know i said i was not going to Wal Mart again but i needed 1 single glass because i broke it during dinner...anyway... I am unsure about any policy about if you display it and price it you have to sell it. As wal mart goes they kinda do whatever they want. As soon as you can find the address post it and i will write them as well.

Because of the ease of sending emails and what not almost all large business and politicians give a higher weight to a written letter, usually on the order of 15-20 to 1.

Writing to Wal Mart On!

I went to TRU last night, looking (and praying) for new Castle sets, but to no avail. Then, I saw a HUGE Indy display. All of the new sets were there, and I hurried and grabbed up the Jungle Duel set (which looks like the best one out of all the new ones to me). I went to buy it and the lady at the register said that I couldn't get it because it wasn't supposed to be released yet. I mumbled some curse words under my breath and mumbled something about this thread on here, and I asked her when they would go on sale (I really wanted to reserve one, if I could). She didn't know when they would go onsale, then she asked me how old I was. After my response, she said: "15 years old? Aren't you too old to be playing with building blocks?" Wow. TRU just lost any business they would get from me.

I really think that TLC should tell stores not to put the new sets on the shelves until their release date. There were 3 other people in there that night (or 3 AFOL's) and they all had the same problem.

You should definitely complain to the manager about a condescending statement like that. Seriously, even in jest, I shouldn't be made to feel like a tool for being an adult collector.

As for the Wal-mart fiasco, I have been fortunate. Last Monday I picked up two Jungle Duels and a River Chase at Walmart and went through the normal checkout with no problem at all. This was in Phoenix, AZ. I'd be really upset if I was denied a set that was massively advertised in store. The sets I found were simply sitting with the older lego sets. Hang in there everybody. The sets are cool and I know you'll even be more excited to have them close to the release of the movie.

she asked me how old I was. After my response, she said: "15 years old? Aren't you too old to be playing with building blocks?"

You should have asked her age, then tell her she should consider being a greeter for Walmart (perhaps she is during her day job). :laugh: She's definately got the Walmart store policy on not selling new Indy sets before May 1 down. - old bag!

I find such questions very insulting and although it's sometime hard to come back with a quick response when a store clerk says something offensive, it's best to just say, "that's none of your business and has nothing to do with my purchase today". Sometimes rude people need to get the lesson, esp. when they say something inappropriate. To use an old WW term, you need to cut them off at the pass.

Now it looks like TRU is doing the same. I may just wait now out of frustration.

But I did write to Walmart tonight, and have the letter ready to mail. They will be hearing from me.

My TRU had the new sets all nicely laid out in a glass case, but the manager refused to sell me any sets :sceptic:

Though he did say next week they will be able to.

Wait On!

Usually, first batches are pretty limited. What I don't want to have happen is for Walmart and TRU to release them earlier than May 1 (just out of the blue), then I'll go to look for them and they'll be sold out. 2nd batches always take a while longer to get in (at least from my experience).

Usually, first batches are pretty limited. What I don't want to have happen is for Walmart and TRU to release them earlier than May 1 (just out of the blue), then I'll go to look for them and they'll be sold out. 2nd batches always take a while longer to get in (at least from my experience).

I totally agree with you. How many times have I se a very limited first batch and a long wait for regular stocking (usually like that with SW BPs) :sceptic:

:yoda:

Yes. That can happen very easily. I guess I will just have to go to every Wal-Mart, Toys r us, and Target each day until they are there. :tongue: I think it is very bad though that they have a big display like that and still don't let you buy them. They should at least give you a 5 dollar off coupon or something. :sadnew:

So this is why my topic was closed! Sorry about that, didn't check first...

I'm going to try again today if I can, although my chances seem pretty slim at this point...

<Faramir-<

Oh, you must have felt annoyed to see the new indy sets, only to have your hopes dashed as he takes therm away!

Interesting to know, in most European countries, regulations would have issues with this kind of situation.

There is a general concept that once a good/service is on offer and obviously available (as this is the case here, stocks are shown and even ready for the sale, with price), there is no possibility to refuse to sell.

The basic idea against this "sale refusal" is to avoid discrimination.

Should there be a special clause from Lego / Lucas not to sell them before a specified date, then they simply shouldn't put merchandise on shelves. If this was a storage capacity / logistics issue that obliged them to do so, they should ensure people won't grab boxes (leave them in sealed crates, place visible notices stating official release date). 100% Wall Mart responsability !

I agree serving the "Product Recall" excuse is also awful, and even detrimental to Lego's reputation as it infers the product has quality issues ! What a nice store, covering its errors with libel :thumbdown:

The good side of consistently being late on releases (as Europe usually is), is that we don't have this kind of problems :sadnew:

Edited by shunlabs