Lok24

Fully automated layout

Hi all,

I just made a very very small test-layout to do some testing with the automation software "The Lego Train Project".

Please don't hesitate to turn your speakers on, especially when train is running :laugh:

Have a look and enjoy!  (2:20 min, (sorry, don't kow how to embed the video here)

https://youtu.be/hTbc5HZRg7E

Here you'll find software, developer and discussion...

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169318-control-all-your-powered-up-power-function-sbrick-devices-with-a-single-software/

Edited by Lok24

A simply amazing combination of excellent software and hardware; I especially love the guard waving his sign! I would love to see these features implemented in a full exhibition layout, I don't think I'd be able to watch anything else.

As for the video itself: simply copy-and-paste the URL, like so:

Just now, ColletArrow said:

A simply amazing combination of excellent software and hardware; I especially love the guard waving his sign! I would love to see these features implemented in a full exhibition layout, I don't think I'd be able to watch anything else.

Thanks, the "full layout" was shown last year at two exhibitions in Germany, but with two engines, and automatic decoupler,  RaspberryPi, Reed-Contacts and SBrick. Now it's all LEGO.

Very nice! How do you get the switches to throw back again? It looks like the string only pulls on one side? Also, have you removed the springs from the switches?

Edited by Mr Hobbles

Oh man, this year I tried to make the bareers raised by string, I've failed miserably (was using cheap servo). Later on I've found out one could just use motor with technic gear with clutch, but I haven't yet tried that out. Seems it works well for you - is it easy to set it up/ adjust it? If I'm right, you need to power up the motor for certain period of time, and rely on gear clutch to keep the movement within range?

Also - the switches. That looks awesome, am I right it doesn't require any part modification?

Nice work @Lok24 - love the retro (but very functional) automation with the strings. That’s a genius idea.

Very nice demonstration of the potential of Cosmik’s Lego Train Project software too :)

Oh wow. Very impressive. Everything works so smoothly. And not only that, the signal looks great. The crossing works fluently and at a proper speed. And then the signaling guy... Brilliant.

12 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Very nice! How do you get the switches to throw back again? It looks like the string only pulls on one side? Also, have you removed the springs from the switches?

Your question is the answer.....

No, the springs are not removed. But if you switch to "straight" with it's lever(!) once(!) you have one direction, now you can easily pull the switch blade to the other direction and it swings back if realeased

13 hours ago, Bartosz said:

Seems it works well for you - is it easy to set it up/ adjust it?

Not at all, it works like a guitar string...just turn the blue pin

weiche1.jpg

This wasn't implemented yet when I showed the complete thing here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/91907-level-crossing-with-pf-motor/&tab=comments#comment-1814312

If I'm right, you need to power up the motor for certain period of time, and rely on gear clutch to keep the movement within range?

Yes!

Also - the switches. That looks awesome, am I right it doesn't require any part modification?

Yes!

Edited by Lok24

1 hour ago, Lok24 said:

Not at all, it works like a guitar string...just turn the blue pin

Oh my, that's the cleverness I'm missing in my attempts! But at least I know where to find people who know how to hack things! :)

On 2/6/2019 at 12:48 AM, Lok24 said:

Your question is the answer.....

No, the springs are not removed. But if you switch to "straight" with it's lever(!) once(!) you have one direction, now you can easily pull the switch blade to the other direction and it swings back if realeased

I still don't fully understand this mechanism I'm afraid! On my switches if I flick to straight then start pulling it back, it flicks to curved. Releasing the tension doesn't cause it to go back...

EDIT: I just paused your video for a closer look and now I understand! You're not pulling on the lever at all, you're moving the piece of track! Nice! :)

Edited by Mr Hobbles

Sorry, I should have explained better... this is what I meant when I wrote "switch blade"

I did not invent that, I think JopieK uses that too.

Edited by Lok24