marv

Small Modular Building Standard

when I look at LEGO City buildings like this one or these buildings I always think: Why can't these buildings form a true city? How can you put them together? Why is there no possibility to close the buildings up?

I put some thought into this...and my answer is: the small modular building standard:

46933164472_1eca1c31bc_z.jpg

the standard elements are:

• small modular half building
  • small modular sidewalk
  • small modular half building with sidewalk
  • small modular garden element

they can be combined easily:

• two small modular half buildings with sidewalk form a 16 wide modular building
  • one small modular sidewalk and one small modular half building form a small modular half building with sidewalk
  • one small modular sidewalk, two small modular half buildings and a small modular garden element form a 16 wide modular building
  • modular half buildings with or without sidewalk can be put together in a row

46071362775_f379faacb5_z.jpg

here a some examples for small modular sidewalk elements

46933164602_4fe0aa86d3_z.jpg

They could be parts of sets like this , this or other "car(s) and a bit of scenery" sets

here a some examples for small modular half buildings derived from official sets

46933148692_9b3516978d_z.jpg

32043752517_ff32870ba7_z.jpg

by buying two sets you could get beautiful closed up houses for your city

46933148792_7697fa2083_z.jpg

here is a small modular half building with sidewalk (60008: Museum Break-in)

46071362715_2dcf776de5_z.jpg

and also a MOC

46985443111_c3940a1ac8_z.jpg

you could combine different small modular half buildings

40020496003_b09fce1d0c_z.jpg

they look beautiful with modular buildings

46933534892_96af08aaa5_z.jpg

or as a row

40020908233_df79283387_z.jpg

what do you guys think about this idea? Would this be a possibility for future city sets? Why not?

regards

marv

Edited by marv

I'm surprised that Lego doesn't already do this. They seem to ... dip their toes into the water every now and again (e.g. the Sanctum Sanctorun), but there is no consistency.

It would make sense to me for Lego City, Friends and Creator (and even superhero) commercial and residential buildings to be built to a combinable / interchangeable standard.

I guess, ultimately, children probably don't care too much about their buildings being consistent and fitting together elegantly, so it's not something that Lego would invest the extra time and resources into developing and maintaining for their various lines which are directed towards children.

19 hours ago, Agent 86 said:

I'm surprised that Lego doesn't already do this. They seem to ... dip their toes into the water every now and again (e.g. the Sanctum Sanctorun), but there is no consistency.

Technically the more recent (2017-2018) 3-in-1 building uses a Modular system with 8x16 modules, and 8x8 half-modules. 

I know the reception on those sets has been mixed, but they all use a similar basic 8x16 base design.

They actually have decent interior space for furniture as well.

I have 1 of each of those sets, and certainly making 2-3 story high 16x16 closed buildings is fully possible with enough of those 16x8 and 8x8 base modules. 

Now Hinged buildings obviously look better from all sides but when opened, sometimes only have 1-4 studs at most for interior.

The 2018 City Hospital used a "modular" system as well.

I actually liked the Hotel Build in the 2018 Capital City set, but that set is €140 with a lot of other things. 

I wouldn't mind a standardized 8x16 system for City and Creator 3-in-1 buildings. Even if not all walls/doors are removable.

Even better if it were a City Subtheme, where the buildings are sold seperately from the many vehicles City sets have, then buying multiples becomes an option too.

For summer 2019 there's another big of such set coming (3-in-1 Townhouse and Pet Store ) with I imagine at least 3 of those 16x8 modules since it's a 1000 part set. One of the alternate builds is even said to be a Bank "highrise" building.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Technically the more recent (2017-2018) 3-in-1 building uses a Modular system with 8x16 modules, and 8x8 half-modules. 

Ah. Too true. As much as I LOVE the Creator residential and commercial buildings, I couldn't bring myself to buy any of those. The "modular" system didn't appeal to be and the "combined" models were too fantastical for me (i.e. doors all over the place, basketball hoops on the third storey, etc).

I was looking forward to seeing the upcoming "Townhouse and Pet Store", but with the rumours that it continues the "modular" system, I'm setting my expectations low. Still, with the piece count, I'm hopeful that even if it was designed for the "modular" system, it will be capable of being modified into a more "traditional" Creator building. I guess it depends whether it mainly consists of a lot of hollow wall "chunks", "pillars" and large windows (I.e. similar to the recent City Hospital) or whether there are plenty of bricks.

To be honest, growing up in the 80's I have a bit of a soft spot for the open back design but I do love your designs (especially as they can be combined in so many ways! I especially love the 2 different museums put back to back!!

I try to use official sets where possible, but open backs are gradually being phased out of my town layout (now only relegated to the edges) in favour of the hinged creator style sets from a few years ago - the newest modular creator sets just don't do it for me in terms of exterior design. Maybe I'll give this idea a go!!

Thanks for sharing!!

On 2/5/2019 at 12:36 AM, Agent 86 said:

I guess, ultimately, children probably don't care too much about their buildings being consistent and fitting together elegantly, so it's not something that Lego would invest the extra time and resources into developing and maintaining for their various lines which are directed towards children.

Maybe ... when I was a kid I loved everything that could be combined or put together in different ways. I spent hours just combining the interchangeable modules of technic sets https://brickset.com/sets/8252-1/Beach-Buster , https://brickset.com/sets/8253-1/Fire-Helicopter and https://brickset.com/sets/8255-1/Rescue-Bike

On 2/5/2019 at 4:52 PM, TeriXeri said:

For summer 2019 there's another big of such set coming (3-in-1 Townhouse and Pet Store ) with I imagine at least 3 of those 16x8 modules since it's a 1000 part set. One of the alternate builds is even said to be a Bank "highrise" building.

I also look forward to see these new sets. I liked 31605 Park Street Townhouse so much. 

33176991988_b881484f7b_z.jpg

Thank you all for your comments. Since TLG buildings often are fire or police stations I also tried to "modularize" them:

40087072063_89b74b5882_z.jpg

46138342125_f3ac9d90b1_z.jpg

Here is a row of small modular official sets together. 

40087072273_0b0ef8fb9b_z.jpg

and a MOC

46133143965_a195f451d8_z.jpg

Edited by marv

3 hours ago, marv said:

Maybe ... when I was a kid I loved everything that could be combined or put together in different ways.

Oh, me too! I didn't like the inconsistent baseplate sizes, etc (although, in hindsight, I was pretty lucky to get as many baseplates as I did since they're included much less frequently these days).

It will be interesting to see whether the upcoming Creator Pet Shop and Café is more closely aligned to the Park Street Townhouse style of building (i.e. fully enclosable and needs to be dismantled to be re-built) or whether it is akin to the more recent "modular" open-back houses with the swappable / interchangeable wall panels / modules.