Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

Need someone to talk me into getting the new classic space mini fig pack, 70841

I am totally on the fence with this set. I want to get it, its cheap, classic space, new pink astronaut.  My problem is I don't have any classic space sets.  These mini figs will not got with anything I have now and will just end up in a box somewhere lost forever.  They will be keeping all my Chima sets company.

See its sold out on Amazon already.  Are you all getting it, of so what are your plans for these mini figs?

70841?wid=320&hei=320

I'm planning to get at least 2.  I want the pink astronaut, mostly, but I like the white astronaut as well.  And as someone here told me, it would probably be cheaper to get the whole set than just the 2 astronauts on the aftermarket.  So I'm definitely going to get it.  And it's a great place to start a Space collection.  Nice and small.

I got 1 early for now, might get more later on sale or depending where the City 2019 Space theme ends up, or if TLM2 has a wave of summer sets.

While I did actually have some old Classic Space sets in my childhood way back then, including the famous 928 galaxy explorer with the moon/landing baseplates.

I Keep those new ones seperate, but I keep all my LEGO up to the year 2000 seperate from my 2016+ sets. (didn't get anything 2001-2015)

Edited by TeriXeri

I got the battle pack today.  Still not sure was a good idea, but rather regret purchase then not buying.  Will let you know more after I open it up in a week or two.

I bought the set. And than I came across Tihomis Speicer's mod. Hilarious: I remember Gene Roddenberry was always ready to drop everything when female cast costumes had to be judged... Let's call her Penny, showing the latest Roddenberry designed spacesuit...

Lenny Pink Dress

And now I have a sh*t load of modern (for me) bricks in grey, blue and trans yellow on the way from Bricklink...

Edited by jan kusters

I planned on picking up 5 but upon its release Lego limited purchases to 2. I grabbed 2 hours after release. The next day there was a 30 day wait, next day backordered with no date listed. Amazon was similarly backordered for 14 days a couple days after release. I planned on using the minifigures from one of the sets for my Lego Modular Space Museum Lego Ideas submission...

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b6f727d0-6d2d-41c4-93a2-d6c07562482e

I ended up not using them for that but I’m sure I will use the bricks for some Space MOCs. Plan on grabbing about 3 more.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, LegoDW said:

I got the battle pack today.  Still not sure was a good idea, but rather regret purchase then not buying.  Will let you know more after I open it up in a week or two.

Been a few days.  Kids off playing with something new.  These figs are off to keep our Chima set company under the Lego Table, in a plastic bin, all the way in the back never to see the light of day again...….

Just kidding, have these guys placed all around our city layout.  Pink astronaut is at the beach, Yellow  is flying a helicopter, White is riding a train and Blue is currently swimming away from a couple of hungry sharks.

Got one already, getting at least one more. I do have some older space stuff, including four red suit guys, so this is sort of an expansion of my collection.

But even without that: why not just build up something new? You can build something "space-y" from pretty much anything, you just need a somewhat coherent minifig collectiona round it. This set is just perfect for that! You get three "massable" minifigs, and one that can be used with some work (other helmets, equipment, etc.). You also get printed pieces with every set, that can be used on themed builds.

An excellent deal all around, I do not know what you are waiting for. :classic:

I only rally collect City and Creator but every so often a set comes along in another theme which is a must have.  This set was one of those as, while I am not really into it now, Classic space was a big part of my childhood.

Sets that don’t fit with my mainstay sit on shelves on the other side of the room from my main display of models.  So, alongside these new spacemen are Ghosbusters, Lone Ranger, Wall-E, Ferrari F40 and a couple of Star Wars Sets.

I say at this price point and with such cool mini figures you should just do it.

I'm gonna take a different tack—if you don't want it, there's no reason you should feel compelled to get it. If you don't want the figs there's honestly very little that the set offers that you couldn't find elsewhere, and it's not like your purchase of this set will make or break the likelihood of future space sets being produced. At best, it sounds like the only compelling reason for you to get it would be if you think you might think differently about it several years from now, since the figs, especially the pink one, might not appear in later sets and could become scarce. But even then that probably shouldn't be a major concern for you, since the high production volumes of a small set like this will probably help to ensure its availability on the secondhand market for some time.

Personally, I'll probably pick it up at some point, but I'm coming from it as a Lego Movie fan rather than as a specific fan of Classic Space, so they'll fit in with the other Lego Movie characters and sets in my collection.

Well I ended up buying this today along with some minifigures (of course I got Benny and his toolbox).

I'm not at all disappointed. 

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I do wish there could have been a Benny dream sequence of sorts with a version of him before he cracked his helmet and scratched his logo.  That would be great for the blue spaceman minifigure.