31416505447_715b157790_c.jpg

It is finally completed, took me long enough :grin:.

Let's start with some history;

Spoiler

10 years ago I built this and I called it the Flying Dutchman.

12279694832_DISPLAY.jpg

3 years later I wanted to rebuild the ship but it had to be better, bigger and badder :devil:. I produced this thing;

5581744833_0bde67cc1e.jpg

Fortunately I never got to complete this version, thanks to the constructive feedback of my dear colleagues here at Classic Pirates.

I tried again;

dsc03630.jpg

As there was a lot of interest in my little project I decided to start a WIP tread. And that was how the construction of my master piece began. 

Roughly a year later I called it finished...

dsc05945.jpg

...But it wasn't really. The ship lacked sails and the rigging was incomplete, some parts weren't as well-designed as others, there were several structural issues and so on.

It took me 6 years to get the ship how I really wanted it to be.

Now, back to the present;

31416492367_0cb84975ef.jpg

32483854358_a915fc77b3_c.jpg

44539054490_496423c678_z.jpg

I had some help from my sister to spice up those first 4 pictures :classic:.

32483676168_3f656059d3_z.jpg

The prow underwent a lot of changes since the last version, it took me a while to get to something I was satisfied with. It is one of the more difficult parts of the famous ghost ship after all.

32483627028_87f660c408_z.jpg

A small but very important addition is the original Davy Jones minifigure, to serve as captain. For your information, that one was quite expensive :cry_sad:.

31416354837_bf7cc5fd04_z.jpg

There were a lot of changes on the stern and poop deck. It began with some structural changes (because it kept breaking apart) but later also characteristic details were added, such as Dead watching over the ship and the flippers on the galleries.

32483683048_cf5c891b90_z.jpg

Apart from the minifigures there is only one black part on the ship, which is the compass on the steering wheel.

Excluding the colour black from the colour scheme was essential.

45443226995_281540554e_z.jpg

44538908840_037718dd67_z.jpg

The one aspect that the new version did not improve on is interior access. While the previous version had a complete interior I sacrificed main gun deck for structural reinforcements. The port side of the ship was also finished (previous version was open on one side). But I did keep the captain quarters, with some changes though.

44538832100_6c66ba7bca_z.jpg

The cabin can be accessed by taking out the poop deck.

46304839092_f28ce145a5_z.jpg

On the previous ship the stern was usually a disaster whenever I moved this ship. It's a lot more stable now.

45443165675_e67731246e_z.jpg

Yep, I'm quite satisfied with this one. Time to move on to a new project :bonaparte:.

Video

Edited by Sebeus I
Video added

That ship is mind blowing! It is covered in amazing details and building techniques. I really like the sails (which seem to be made out of paper? pretty cool! :tongue:) and the color scheme is perfect. 

I think I remember seeing one of your previous versions some time ago... I think it was the ingenious use of minifigure legs to get the right tumblehome that caught my eye (am I using that term correctly?) Anyways, I'm glad you finally put this one to bed. 

Now for gawking.

She's beautiful! The greebling alone must have added an additional 10k pieces, but boy was it worth it! You really ought to be proud of yourself. We all know what kind of social activities you missed out on to bring us this stunning MOC. :grin:

I must ask, why did you avoid the color black? The present color scheme lends to the haunting feeling of dread when you glance over the taffrail and see something in the fog behind you. So why did you avoid black?

Also, I did look up the Davy Jones. Yikes! It might as well have been a Kashyyyk scout trooper before the newer runs came out. $40.00 for one who's "missing crab hand?" :cry_sad:

Also, tell your sister the photo editing was pretty good. If she keeps working on her photoshopping skills, maybe she'll land a job working on POTC 6. :wink:

Great MOC, was well worth the click. Look forward to your next project.

MAC

Finally, it's finished! I remember that old video you posted. Did that lego ideas ever really got off? We need a Flying Dutchman set really.

1 hour ago, Captain Edward said:

Finally, it's finished! I remember that old video you posted. Did that lego ideas ever really got off? We need a Flying Dutchman set really.

I think Ideas is for now only accepting entries with a maximum piece count of 2000.

Wow Sebeus. This is truly amazin work. Im am also building on my  13k-piece-ship. :blush: But to buy the parts is so time and money consuming. Have to lay aside money and pull in one's belt before I can go in. This will cost me at least 1500€.

Thank you! with this part your are using in your ship you gave me THE Idea to make the masts of my ship looking thicker and beeing more stable.

Edited by Robin_IV

As One of those lucky bastards knowing you in person, it is every time an enormous pleasure to see this beauty in real life!

Maybe you saw it already but I want to submit it here.

Your MOC was in this weeks TOP 10 MOCs of BrickVault!

On 20 Dec 2018 at 6:34 PM, iammac said:

I must ask, why did you avoid the color black? The present color scheme lends to the haunting feeling of dread when you glance over the taffrail and see something in the fog behind you. So why did you avoid black?

Thanks, black proved to be a very defining color, very dominant. It just wouldn't blend in with the other colours. The effect you describe is exactly what I wanted to achieve :classic:.

On 7 Jan 2019 at 3:00 PM, Captain Edward said:

I'm afraid that ship has sailed, for several reasons this creation is also no longer eligible for LEGO Ideas.

On 7 Jan 2019 at 4:39 PM, Robin_IV said:

Thank you! with this part your are using in your ship you gave me THE Idea to make the masts of my ship looking thicker and beeing more stable.

Thanks, although I used that part initially because round bricks in old grey were hard to find in great quantities :grin:. You can save a lot of money by looking for alternatives. (I just had a bunch of those parts already).

On 11 Jan 2019 at 11:45 PM, Maxim I said:

As One of those lucky bastards knowing you in person, it is every time an enormous pleasure to see this beauty in real life!

Thanks buddy.

On 13 Jan 2019 at 10:05 PM, Robin_IV said:

Maybe you saw it already but I want to submit it here.

Your MOC was in this weeks TOP 10 MOCs of BrickVault!

Awesome, hadn't seen that :classic:.

Wow a great building. I once saw your previous ship in the real and I was blown away!!! and this looks even better!! congratulations!