Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

A product that somebody should invent

One of these crafty types needs to come up with flexible rails of something like 3-5 feet in length. Ideally, they'd be that kind of stiffer rubber (or a very flexible plastic) that bends laterally, but otherwise holds its rail shape and doesn't kink. It would also need to have negative studs on the bottom (just like the old straight plastic rails from the 1990s). MOCers could then 'flex' the rail to their ideal curve, and connect ties to force the shape to hold. One of the enormous benefits to this - in addition to allowing people to do all kinds of curve radii - is that it would instantly accommodate other gauges (like we could finally see a 3w gauge done to properly mimic 3' cape gauge railroads, and 2w track could see curves that wouldn't be lethal on a roller coaster). 

The sectional track approach that artisans have been using is good, but - ultimately - I think people in the hobby will want access to the same kind of flex track that is so infinitely useful in more conventional model railroading.

Just a thought.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

The problem with this IMHO would be similar to what happens when you use the silicone-brick-tape stuff, which doesn't properly hold lego pieces well. If it's done properly with something stiffer like you mention then it could work well - and I'd be happy to test it ;)

I'm assuming that the ties/sleepers would then be plates from the builders collection?

And then comes the thought of when you do a curve and the stud holes don't actually line up, how would that be handled?

1 hour ago, kiwinewt said:

The problem with this IMHO would be similar to what happens when you use the silicone-brick-tape stuff, which doesn't properly hold lego pieces well. If it's done properly with something stiffer like you mention then it could work well - and I'd be happy to test it ;)

I'm assuming that the ties/sleepers would then be plates from the builders collection?

And then comes the thought of when you do a curve and the stud holes don't actually line up, how would that be handled?

You obviously couldn't do ties with studs every space - only every so often when the holes did line up. 

The other option would be to actually go full-blown flex track - IE the track comes with ties built in, and they "slide" on one rail. The issue with this is that it wouldn't allow for differing rail spacing for competing gauges.

I dunno - I'm not a manufacturer, more of an ideas man. I just figured I'd toss it out there.

The obvious solution would be to make sleeper tiles similar to the 12v days that can be attached to normal model railway rail. Then you could have relatively easy to make points, flexi-track, the whole lot.

1 hour ago, ProvenceTristram said:

The issue with this is that it wouldn't allow for differing rail spacing for competing gauges.

Unless you have separate rail and sleeper packs, with the sleepers being produced in different 'common' gauges but the potential to scale up or down for small batches 

The idea's been kicked around for a while: mold 2x8 sleepers that slip over code 250 or so rails.  The problem is we'd have to bend the rails and assemble the tracks ourselves.  Would be a hell of a lot of work.  Also, would not be compatible with any existing track.  Possible, yes.  Worth it, doubtful.

15 hours ago, coaster said:

The idea's been kicked around for a while: mold 2x8 sleepers that slip over code 250 or so rails.  The problem is we'd have to bend the rails and assemble the tracks ourselves.  Would be a hell of a lot of work.  Also, would not be compatible with any existing track.  Possible, yes.  Worth it, doubtful.

Honestly, why would you bother using normal track if you were using that system? If it wasn't for the minor issue of working with all Lego trains ever, I'd actually advocate a larger 'standard' gauge and narrow gauge set ups.

9 hours ago, Redimus said:

Honestly, why would you bother using normal track if you were using that system? If it wasn't for the minor issue of working with all Lego trains ever, I'd actually advocate a larger 'standard' gauge and narrow gauge set ups.

Crossovers and switches....

13 hours ago, fred67 said:

Crossovers and switches....

Again, why go to the extra expense of track that can replicate realistic trigonometry, they limit yourself to extremely flawed official Lego points?

1 minute ago, Redimus said:

Again, why go to the extra expense of track that can replicate realistic trigonometry, they limit yourself to extremely flawed official Lego points?

He’s got a point there. Then again, maybe the standard switches would be used for space constraints?

With any new track system the expensive items in both engineering and tooling will be realistic, working crossovers and switches.  Unless you have them, can you be considered viable solution?